Attaching new MMCX pins to Linum Bax...
Sep 25, 2019 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

doctorjuggles

Member of the Trade: Cable Builder
Hi all. Total DIY newbie here so apologies if I'm not being clear (or indeed if I'm asking something rather stupid)

Anyway, some years ago the cable leading into the mmcx connection on my Linum Bax cable broke and I never returned it. Now it's out of warranty and I'm trying to repair it, but unfortunately it's very difficult

I have a multimeter (no idea what I'm doing but willing to learn as I go) and I'm trying to figure out which wires carry the signal and which are ground, as the Bax has then woven into each other which is rather annoying. Am I able to use a multimeter to test each fine strand individually, or have I misunderstood what the multimeter is for?

Pic attached so you can see the wires. Each tiny strand seems to be either copper or a blue/grey colour, but I can't get the multimeter to react in the setup attached. Am I something wrong or just trying to do something that can't be done?

20190925_194933.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 2
Sometimes they use litz wires, where each wire stand is insulated with a thin layer of enamel.
I've seen that in some of my headphone cables.
If you get a soldering iron, make a little pool of solder on the tip, you should be able to melt off the enamel and then you can use the dmm to measure continuity.
Do in a well ventilated area and avoid the fumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back