Aug 21, 2007 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dino01

New Head-Fier
hi guys

i am needing your help

from what i have seen review wise these seem the best for my needs

i listen to metal rock rnb and hiphop/rap music

is there any other iems (i think they are called) that would suit my needs

i have only ever used the default ipod headphones so i no nothing about mids base highs (just words i have seen on this forum)

please help me guys

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 17
Oh my god! Don't go for the Vibe! They ara all about noise and headache. The Atrio are pretty decent, but with poor midrange.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 17
The M5 will suit your particular taste in music perfectly IMO. Generally considered to be a considerable upgrade from the Vibes rather than a comparative product (according to those who have owned both iem's .......see main Atrios thread).

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 17
cheers guys

2 things

1. what headphones will give the best first impact on the basic apple ones, are there any average priced 100$ that i will instantly tell the difference from basic ipod headphones

2. what is the best place to get atrios m5's from and cheapest price.

cheers

dino

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dino01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cheers guys

2 things

1. what headphones will give the best first impact on the basic apple ones, are there any average priced 100$ that i will instantly tell the difference from basic ipod headphones

2. what is the best place to get atrios m5's from and cheapest price.

cheers

dino

No brainer. If you want immediate impact over the iBuds, get a pair of Yuin PK2s (check the threads), which will cost you $69 (they are innocent looking ear buds, but that's where the boredom ends). For $38 shipped, you can get PK3s, which are also a great value. I just gave an iPod owning friend a pair of PK3s, and he was blown away.

If you want something around $100, go to ebay, search for Atrio M5s, and make an offer of $130 to the guys at Roaddogonline. $9 more and you'll have a pair of M5s. That's the best price.

I can't speak for Shures, UEs or other phones.

Good luck.

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

so which of the Yuins is the best PK1, PK2 or PK3

i think i might go for them instead since i aint ever used in ear canal headphones

The 2s and 3s do not need an amp. I think the 3s sound great, the 2s are a little less bass heavy but very nice. The PK1s, which I love, really require an amp and deliver awesome SQ, but cost $139. As far as the best, PK1s by far, but again, they definitely need an amp in my opinion.

Another nice thing. The Yuins are just plain old black, very regular looking cheap earbuds, so no one will think to steal them or rob you (the white iBuds are a sure sign that you have something expensive in your pocket).

www.head-direct.com

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

so which of the Yuins is the best PK1, PK2 or PK3

i think i might go for them instead since i aint ever used in ear canal headphones

you really should try some cheap canalphones. you could put orpheus sound into an earbud and sell it for $10 and i still wouldn't buy it because buds are so damn uncomfortable and leaky compared to in-ear phones.

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 17
In many noisy real-world listening environments, you probably wouldn't benefit from any sound advantage offered by the Yuins, no matter how good-sounding they are supposed to be. External noise (not to mention an often poor fit -- they might be sonically better than iBuds, but if they fit similarly, where does that leave you?) would be the enemy of even the sweetest-sounding earbuds. You might be better off even with a pair of open headphones -- at least they would be comfortable and would fit securely.

Just an opinion, from someone who (obviously) doesn't like conventional earbuds.

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #13 of 17
Just offering Yuins as a real alternative to iBuds, since the OP didn't mention problems using buds fit-wise. And trust me, you can hear the music pretty well with Yuins even with typical ambient sound. Agree that for serious commuting/travel (trains, buses, plans), you need a pair of IEMs, like the Atrio M5s (best IEMs in my view, on an SQ/value basis). I can't recommend canal phones like X3s as much of an improvement over Yuins, though, from an isolation POV. You only get real isolation with IEMs. You wouldn't take a pair of Yuins for $10, allio? Have you tried them?

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 17
I have both headphones - 1st generation Vibes and the M5 which I just got a couple days ago. The vibes sound good, definitely better than the stock ipod headphones - but the bass was really lacking for me. I've also heard that the new 2nd gen vibes have a lower sound quality. If you want a barely used (~15 hrs) set of 1st gen Vibes then send me a PM, I'm looking to sell them.

The M5's are amazing. I love them - the bass is low and clear, and everything seems well balanced. I'm using them on my Cowon iAudio 7 and it sounds great w/o an amp. I highly recommend this combination.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back