ATM machine ate my card!
Mar 21, 2003 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Audio-Me

Headphoneus Supremus
I was at Fleet bank and went inside to use the atm machine with my Visa Check Card, I've used this machine many times before. It works fine upto the screen where they ask me if I want to continue with the transaction even though they'll charge me $1.50 because it's not a Fleet account, so I hit continue, then the screen reboots on me, gives me the welcome screen, no cash no card. I told the people working at the bank and they told me that the machine automatically shreds my card because it's not a Fleet account. I asked her, why the **** would it destroy my perfectly legit card, I have more than double the amount in my account I tried to withdraw, she tells me some ******** about not knowing if I'm the real card holder or not, never answered my question... Now I have to get a new card which costs me $10. Can I have the bank cover the fee or is this some crap that I have to live with?

Mar 21, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 19
i would definitely call your bank, as soon as you get the chance. do they have an (800) Customer Service line like my Bank of America account?

I would also talk to the bank manager of that particular bank about the loss of your card. Was there a notice up anywhere regarding the destruction of non-Fleet cards?

sorry about the frustrating experience, man.
If i find a copy of Organix anywhere, Ill be sure to send a copy your way

Mar 21, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 19
I called my bank using their phone to close my current card and order a new one. This sucks hardcore.

I've had Organix for a while, lol, also have From The Ground Up, I like Do you want more the best.

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 19
If the ATM machine is marked as a member of the Plus system or Star system or whatever is on the back of your card, it can not keep or destroy your card because of what bank it may be in. Your bank pays money to one or more of those systems to make your card useable at those machines. There could be a large fine involved in a case like this. I think the person you spoke with is full of stuff. The machine glitched and she should have just opened it up and gotten your card out of it. I doubt that any ATM shreds cards.

Of course I could be wrong.

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #5 of 19
no bank is stupid enough to say that. if they did, get it in writing. i'm sure all the newspapers would like to get a copy of such a statement. supposedly 3 incorrect passwords entered will make the atm keep the card. if the atm rebooted on your first try, call your bank and make sure that no monies were transferred. of course that means that you'll have to live off credit cards until your new ATM cash card comes in, but... (don't know if your check card is your cash card).

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 19
I'm going to go in and try to talk to the manager tomorrow. There wasn't an incorrect PIN number, I already went past that, it was working fine, just crashed when it came time for the machine to spit out my cash. Luckily I can write checks to myself for money.

Someone else came in afterwords and used their card and got money, where the hell did my card go? Gives me reason to believe that it really did shred it, but that's messed up!

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 19
ATM's do not have the capability to "shred" cards, that is ludicrous, they simply get dumped into a tray. The tray gets emptied at the end of the day and someone cuts them up (unless there are some newfangled ATMs that I am unaware of). Regarding returning ATM cards: there are Reg E. liability issues and ID issues but the employe should be able to take whatever steps necessary to ensure that she is returning the card to the cardholder.

Also, your bank should not charge you for a replacement card, that too is ridiculous.

Mar 21, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 19
This is horse****, but I've already ordered a new card so, shrug it off I guess, but man that pisses me off, stupid ass machine, I wanted to punch it but there were people around.

Mar 22, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

I wanted to punch it but there were people around.

Yeah, chances are that the machine would have won.

Mar 22, 2003 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 19
that's why i never use ATM's that suck your card in while your going thru the menu's, thanks but no thanks...

Mar 22, 2003 at 10:45 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
that's why i never use ATM's that suck your card in while your going thru the menu's, thanks but no thanks...

You wouldn't have much luck in the UK then
eek.gif

You can't access the menus until you put the card in on any but the most out of the way machines (housed in pubs and clubs.. portable ones ~ but then they charge you up to about $5 for a transaction... )

I've had my card eaten a couple of times, and no.. its not shredded, they just send it back to you in a few days... it sucks, even with ID you're not allowed to have your card back there and then... whilst its MIA they do checks on your account to make sure no fraud is happening...

Bummer
frown.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 19
ATM machines will take damaged cards and keep them when a wrong PIN in entered. THere may also be other things that result in a lost card. Banks here are not permitted by their rules to open a machine and return a card. I think the employee may have misspoke or they may have meant that your card was damaged. It might pay to go talk to the manager.

Mar 22, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 19
A&M, maybe your procedures in the US are different to over here, but here you can screw up the PIN, and it'll still let you in... its only when you request a service that it then re-asks you for the PIN...

so, in the UK at least, that WOULD be possible

Mar 22, 2003 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 19
It sounds to me like the machine just crashed. Computers do that occasionally. The person you talked to probably figured you had entered the wrong pin number or something and didn't want to deal with it or can't because of the risk that you might have been trying to commit a crime, which caused the machine to crash. It's just bad luck.

I think you need to get a new bank. One time I accidentally sent my debit card number through an unsecure connection over the net. I was paranoid and called the bank, and they issued me a new card free of charge even though I was just an idiot. $10 is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back