Atlanta Meet Impressions Feb-12-2004
Feb 16, 2005 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
Everyone who was at the meet, please post your impressions here! I'll hopefully add more impressions when I get the time. Thanks again to Josh (cybertron) for hosting this meet! Everyone at the meet was very very cool and I was glad to meet every one of you. I wish I had had more time to both socialize and try gear - 4 or 5 hours wasn't nearly enough to do everything I wanted
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, below are a few of my impressions (to be expanded later):

Grado RS-1 w/ flat pads:
These were the first things I went for. As an owner of the sr225 (my first grado) for over a year, I really liked its presentation for rock, but hated how the sr225 couldn't get any of the little things right. With bowls, the cans are way too bright and bass is nice and snappy but rolled-off. With flats, things get a little muddy/dark overall and bass is powerful but a bit loose. The vwaps strike a decent balance, but it's still a tradeoff on many fronts. Furthermore, the sr225 is IMO horrible for most acoustic instruments, and some vocals. There's a frequency in the upper midrange/lower treble that's horribly mangled/overempahsized, and this makes things sound peaky and unnatural unless there's many other intruments simultaneously playing to help cover it up.

With the RS-1s w/ flats I first put on the Rush CD "Fly By Night" that I'm very familiar with. It was immediately apparent that the bass was both powerful, deep, AND tight. The overall balance was nice, perhaps slightly warm and lush without getting too thick or muddy. Resolution is clearly superior to the sr-225; it's not a minor difference. Didn't listen with acoustic solos (should have), but didn't notice a problem with peaky-ness during my session. The RS1-s were driven by a Rega Planet 2000 and an RA-1 amp.

Grado SR-200 w/flats
First impression, I was amazed at how airy these cans sounded. Especially with strings, individual notes had an amazing sense of space around them. Instruments and notes were extremely well separated, much more so than the sr-225. Bass is deep and powerful and tight like the rs-1, however I didn't have enough comparison time to determine which was better. In terms of overall quality, the RS-1 and sr-200 are much MUCH closer to each other than the sr-225. In terms of sonic signature, the sr-200 is more of a departure from the other two, with a very clean, airy, and neutral sonic signature. Very impressive, especially considering the price MagusG paid for them! I preferred vocals on the rs1 - vocals were the only thing that I wasn't thrilled about on the sr200 - they seemed a little pushed back and drier compared to the rs1. However, the airiness of the sr200 was very seductive for strings. I'd have a very hard time choosing between the rs1 and sr200, but I might have to give the edge to the rs1 here.

Meridian 588
Before today I was a member of team "source third". Well, I still believe the transducer is by far the most quality-sensitive link of the audio chain, but this player has converted me to team "source second". I'll be honest, I haven't heard too much difference between the sources under $1.3K that I've tried. Sure the integrated soundcards and crappy PCDPs sound obviously awful, but anything approaching a decent design and build quality has sounded a lot like the other stuff. I've noticed a bigger sonic difference from swapping amps. The Meridian is another story altogether. I first listened to a piano piece out of the 588 -> PPA w/ STEPS and diamond buffer -> HD650 + Zu, and I immediately knew I'd never heard piano sound that REAL before (well, except in real life, LOL). At first I was sure I was hearing an SACD (no way CD sounds that good), but then I found out the 588 only plays redbook, and I was actually hearing the redbook layer of a hybrid SACD
smily_headphones1.gif
Still skeptical, I tried deperately to eliminate the Meridian as the cause for this sonic beauty. During the rest of the meet I tried many familiar CDs on both the Meridian rig and my own rig (Jolida JD100a -> RKV Mk II -> HD650 + Zu). I even tried swapping out the RKV in my rig for the PPA; it was clear the PPA wasn't doing the magic (I slightly preferred the RKV in my rig - it's smoother sounding). To the best of my determination, the 588 is just playing in a higher league than my Jolida or BelCanto DAC2. First, it has noticeably more detail/resolution than any other source I've heard. Things that sound smeared on my sources (like a few faint piano notes buried within a busy musical passage) are rendered crytal-clear on the 588. Second, the smoothness of the 588 is amazing. How it can extract so much more detail AND be so much smoother than the other sources is beyon me, but that's what made the 588 special to my ears. When comparing with the other sources, I found myself turning the volume up louder to try to compensate for the lacking details vs the 588. When I did this, I noticed a harshness and glare that irritates my ears. The 588 can give more details while not irritating my ears in the slightest. Also, it's got a significantly airier presentation than the other sources. The layers of music are so much better separated on this source. This was my favorite piece of gear at the meet. Basically, I'm in love. I have GOT to get a Meridian 588. NOW.

Etymotic er-4s
I heard these out of an ipod -> line-out dock -> sr-71, with foamies. First impression was "ouch", cramming things down my ear canals is just really uncomforatable. I can't see myself using these in the long run. However, isolation was really great. I couldn't hear a THING going on around me. Sonically, these were not quite my thing. I was expecting to be impressed by the legendary ety detail, but after listening to the rs-1, meriadian, and 650 + zu, the etys came up short. Also, they sounded slightly dry and analytical, with little bass impact. At least they weren't quite as dry and analytical as the AKG K401 was to my ears. The etys didn't sound terrible, but they're not something I would consider for home or office use. Maybe I shouldn't have spoiled my ears before trying these, heh.

AKG K401
These were really not my thing. Driven from my jolida -> RKV. Too dry and analytical; plus bass is really lacking compared to the grados and HD650. I could not enjoy this as a home headphone. Soundstage was large & expansive, similar to my AKG K340, but this was the only thing they had in common, IMO. Actually I think the K401 sounds a lot more like the K271s than the K340. The K340 is very lush with a smooth-as-silk liquid midrange and much more detail than the K401 or K271s. My stock cabled K340 has a lot more bass than the other AKGs, and though it's not the tightest bass in the world it is euphonically pleasing for orchestral pieces. This was the last - and least expensive - headphone I listened to at the meet, so like the etys I probably didn't give these guys a fair chance.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Zu Mobius cable:
I owned all these cables before the meet: Cardas, Clou Red, Equinox, Headphile silver, and Zu Mobius, and to be honest I never liked the Zu in my system. It was too bright and harsh sounding, even a bit dry. However, hearing the 650 + Zu out of the Meridian 588 -> maxed PPA was a revelation. There was absolutely none of the brightness or harshness that bothered me in my system. It was by far the most liquid, smooth, natural and detailed I've ever heard the HD650. So, while I didn't get a chance to swap out cables and try others out of the Meridian, I'm going to have to conclude for now that I didn't like the Zu in my system because it's so transparent that it reveals the flaws of my source better than any other cable. I was planning to sell the Zu, but now I'm going to hold on to it while I look for a 588...
In my current system I find the Cardas too dull and lifeless sounding and the equinox too much like the stock cable (tonally), but I'm not sure whether I should be commenting on their sound given that the big bottleneck seems to be my current source.

PPA w/ STEPS and diamond buffer VS. RKV Mk II
In the aforementioned Meridian system this amp sounded absolutely amazing with both the 650 + Zu and sr-200. When I hooked it up to my Jolida to compare to the RKV MkII (hope you don't mind, RHMMM
smily_headphones1.gif
), however, I ended up preferring the RKV. The PPA sounded very slightly harsh, brittle and thin by comparison (don't get me wrong, it still sounded very very good). The powerful bass, smoothness, and seductive midrange of the RKV won it. However, I can not be sure if the PPA was just being more faithful at revealing the flaws of my source - maybe the RKV is just smoothing these "details" over, and out of a Meridian the tables would turn in the PPA's favor? I wish I had time to hook the RKV up to the 588, but perhaps when I score a 588 of my own this question will be answered
biggrin.gif

Grado HP-2 with ultra-wide bandwidth reference cable and flat pads:
These weren't at the meet, unfortunately. The mail lady must have delivered these to my apartment not 1 hour after I left for the meet. However, I think my memory of the sr-200 and rs-1 was still fresh enough for another of my poor comparisons
wink.gif
I'm only driving them from a jolida and sr-71 here at home. The hp-2 has the cleanest, tightest presentation of music I have ever head, by far. Bass is unbelievably tight. Attack on strings (hell, attack on the notes from any instrument) is amazing. Drum beats are the snappiest by far. Bass goes deeper than I've ever heard. Vocals are very very smooth and rich, probably a hair smoother than the HD650 and a hair less so than the K340 (more comparison time needed though). Vocals are also very present and not at all recessed. Detail over the whole frequency spectrum is the best I've heard. The K340 might give it a run for it's money in the midrange, but then it can't hold a candle to the hp-2's tight, articulate bass. It still has the overall presentation of a Grado, though certainly it's a cleaner, even slightly "sterile" spin on the Grado sound as compared to the sr-225 or rs-1. The hp-2 is definately closer to the sr-200 in presentation, but with an even tighter, cleaner, and more detailed rendering, and vocals are much smoother and more palpable (warning - going off memory here). Comparing the hp-2 to the sr-225 here is embarrasing for the 225. The difference is significantly larger than that between the hd580 and hd650 (which I think is also a rather large difference). In short I'm extremely impressed with the hp-2 and I hope they end up pairing well with a 588
wink.gif
(they will - the sr-200 sounded awesome out of the 588). If I were to rank the gardos I've heard on a relative scale of 0 to 10 It would probably be something like:
stock ipod earbuds: 0
sr-225: 6-6.5
sr-200: 7.5
rs-1: 8-8.5
hp-2:10

Feb 19, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 8
Earl,
Quote:

C'mon guys, lets see some more impressions.

I was supposed to be there and end up didn't go b/c I thought that the meet will take place on last Sunday (It was Saturday instead).
biggrin.gif
Tom wasn't there either, but we might have another meet and this time it will take place at Leo's place.

Feb 19, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #6 of 8
ill post my impressions in a few days...Mind you it wont be as comprehensive as Mulveling, but ill give it a shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 8
Wow, i dont have much recollection now to make an impression, but i do remember the hd650s sounding wonderful on mulveling's setup. I especially enjoyed listening to his hybrid akg k340 on the RKV MK2. It sounded very lush and the midrange was absolutely beautiful. I got to listen to mulveling's anime OST(which im starting to get back into
smily_headphones1.gif
) and it absolutely floored me. I honestly could listen to that setup for hours on end.

Now for RMMMM's HD650, PPA, and Meridian 588. I am please to say that his setup was sweet!! Listening to the HD650 on his setup made me want to purchase some senns. I absolutely fell in love with the senn house sound after that. Everything just sounded so natural and boy, i can definitely understand why source should be first on the audio chain. The Meridian 588 was just so much more detailed than anything i have ever heard and i havent heard much before attending this meet. Only a chaintech AV710 to my disposal. The 588 just had so much presence. I literally felt i was there in the concert. Very Nice.

Well, i definitely understand why people spend so much money on their setups. It absolutely sounds wonderful and really captures the imagination when you are sitting down and listening to some good ol music. I have to say that my wallet was very much in pain after this meet. I ended up getting into tubes with a bottlehead foreplay and some hd580s and now im looking to get a ppa and an emu 0404. WOW, i cant believe how tubes can sound so great. I just love it. Not to leave any honorable mentions out of the picture, I have to say the grado sr200 and rs1 sounds great. I think they are best for Rock music, but cant really recommend them for anything else. I just think the hd650 is an all around headphone and i just hope i dont shell out the cash for one since i just got my hd580, which i absolutely find amazing. (crosses fingers).

Well my impressions are little dragged out, but i hope someone can find this useful. Oh and sorry about your wallet!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back