Atlanta Head-fi Impressions
Apr 26, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 37
Thanks to everyone who helped me.
I had a great time.

The only problem is after figuring out what I want to have ... No, that was reasonably, easy, the problem is how much it costs...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>
Without getting into too much depth, other notable gear experiences were listening to Elbow on Tomb's mini Millet Max. The man's got good taste in music.</snip>

Sounds like we both have good taste in music.
wink.gif
Yeah, I was a bit surprised to learn that someone else was familiar with them - definitely one of my favorite groups.

Unfortunately, I was plagued with equipment issues this year (laptop drivers, unfinished builds, can going out on a pair of headphones), but I'd like to echo what everyone else is saying - great bunch of people and a great bunch of gear. Kudos to Trav for a very professionally staged meet and top-notch surroundings! It was great to see some of the Atlanta regulars again - mwallace573, Fitz, Ingwe, Mexican Dragon (thanks for letting me try the Grado flats!) and to meet some new friends, especially rhester.

Rhester brought just about every build you could think of that's offered in the current DIY-circles: B22, Bijou, SOHA II, M3, Gamma DAC, MiniMAX, BantamDAC, etc. I probably left something out, but he had a great sampling that was built well and sounded great. His Bijou and Denon D2000's was one of the best combinations I've heard in a long while.

Thanks to all!

Apr 26, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 37
First of all I had a ton of fun and it was great to meet everybody. It was my first meet of any kind related to audio and it was just a great time.

Highlight of the meet for me was being able to listen to the R-10s, RS-1s, and L3000s on my system.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I forgot to try Rogue's JVC HP-DX1000s on my setup but I was very impressed with them out of the HR-2. To me they sound like 70% HD650 and 30% AKG K501 - in other words damn near perfect.
biggrin.gif

Loved Jeffery's Zana Deux and I think it is a perfect example of how you have to hear this stuff for yourself as opposed to having someone else try to explain it to you. It has to be the perfect amp for Senns and Grados.

Fitz's tricked out Bada was sick. I was very impressed and I didn't even know what I was looking at when I first saw it. Also my first sit down with the K1000s, K401s, and MP and LP sextets did not disappoint.

Trav's DT150s were impressive and this is coming from someone who did not like the DT880s at all. I found them extremely refined and the bass was deep and not sloppy at all.

I also liked mwallace573's Alessandro MS-2 but for some reason I didn't spend as much time with them as I would have liked.

AD2000 lovers take note because Trav and I found some awesome synergy between the AD2000 and the Little Dot MKIII. Made me wish I still had that sweet sounding amp just for my Audio Technicas.

Ingwe did a very interesting demo on how he cleans up needle drops. Very cool stuff.

I didn't get a chance to check out all the hybrid amps at the meet although I did hear rhester's SOHA 11. I had not heard of the amp before but I am going to read up on it now for sure.

I was really hoping that Moodryn would show up. I wanted to check out his Mingda amp. Maybe next time.

The main thing I learned from the meet is that after a certain point all of this stuff sounds great. I guess the key thing to focus on is synergy as opposed to raw power or agonizing about whether to go with tubes or solid state.

Well thats all I got. I wish I had taken notes because I listened to just about everything.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all I had a ton of fun and it was great to meet everybody. It was my first meet of any kind related to audio and it was just a great time.

Highlight of the meet for me was being able to listen to the R-10s, RS-1s, and L3000s on my system.
very_evil_smiley.gif
I forgot to try Rogue's JVC HP-DX1000s on my setup but I was very impressed with them out of the HR-2. To me they sound like 70% HD650 and 30% AKG K501 - in other words damn near perfect.
biggrin.gif

Loved Jeffery's Zana Deux and I think it is a perfect example of how you have to hear this stuff for yourself as opposed to having someone else try to explain it to you. It has to be the perfect amp for Senns and Grados.

Fitz's tricked out Bada was sick. I was very impressed and I didn't even know what I was looking at when I first saw it. Also my first sit down with the K1000s, K401s, and MP and LP sextets did not disappoint.

Trav's DT150s were impressive and this is coming from someone who did not like the DT880s at all. I found them extremely refined and the bass was deep and not sloppy at all.

I also liked mwallace573's Alessandro MS-2 but for some reason I didn't spend as much time with them as I would have liked.

AD2000 lovers take note because Trav and I found some awesome synergy between the AD2000 and the Little Dot MKIII. Made me wish I still had that sweet sounding amp just for my Audio Technicas.

Ingwe did a very interesting demo on how he cleans up needle drops. Very cool stuff.

I didn't get a chance to check out all the hybrid amps at the meet although I did hear rhester's SOHA 11. I had not heard of the amp before but I am going to read up on it now for sure.

I was really hoping that Moodryn would show up. I wanted to check out his Mingda amp. Maybe next time.

The main thing I learned from the meet is that after a certain point all of this stuff sounds great. I guess the key thing to focus on is synergy as opposed to raw power or agonizing about whether to go with tubes or solid state.

Well thats all I got. I wish I had taken notes because I listened to just about everything.

Actually that was my Bada before I sold it to Pasta.. Looks totally different.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rhester brought just about every build you could think of that's offered in the current DIY-circles: B22, Bijou, SOHA II, M3, Gamma DAC, MiniMAX, BantamDAC, etc. I probably left something out, but he had a great sampling that was built well and sounded great. His Bijou and Denon D2000's was one of the best combinations I've heard in a long while.

That's the guy! That Beta22 was sick! I also agree with the Bijou/D2000 combo. I gave a D5000 a listen at the last meet and I wasn't too impressed with it, but I actually enjoyed the D2000, though it could have just been the music he was playing at the time. Now if only I could remember the name of that CD...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dang, I knew I forgot to try something!
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually that was my Bada before I sold it to Pasta.. Looks totally different.

Who is "Pasta"?

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #22 of 37
I had the Chris Potter Underground cd playing on the Beta22 - Follow The Red Line - Live at the Village Vanguard

The DT150s impressed me, and may be looking for a pair of those. The JVC phones sounded very nice too, very even sound, wish I would have tried them on the Beta22.

Also had the Gamma 1 DAC feeding the Bijou, SOHA II, M3 table.

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Chris Potter Underground cd playing on the Beta22 - Follow The Red Line - Live at the Village Vanguard

I swapped out the CD when I listened to the Beta22. Do you remember what album did you had playing on the Bijou?

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 37
Thanks again to Trav for setting this whole thing up. It was great seeing the peeps I had met before, along with all of the new faces.

Anyways, this post will revolve around one topic: the Sony MDR-R10 (Purk - thanks again for bringing it along!). Nothing else I listened to at the meet stood out quite like these 20-year old goliaths.

Now, I'm not a fan of using superlatives, especially after less than 30min of combined listening (both on my system and Purk's), but the R10's combination of that gorgeous, luscious mid-range, along with the fairly large soundstage and well-balanced bass response, combined to create a listening experience that was the best I've ever heard out of a headphone.

Simply put, I have never, ever heard voices and transients (especially on guitar notes) represented so clearly and accurately, without any hint of coldness or artificiality. At the same time, it seems to me that the R10's don't really strive for perfect musical accuracy and super-hyper-detail extraction, but rather focus on presenting an engaging, enveloping experience for the listener, and holy crap, does it work.

I've always been fascinated by the R10's ever since I got into this hobby around 10 years ago now, and it was awesome to not only hear them for the first time, but to also come to terms with the fact that all the hype is true, at least to my ears. It's also sad that no other Sony headphone I've ever heard (and I've heard all the big boys, CD3000, SA5000, with the exception of the 010's) comes anywhere near even touching the surface of the R10's sound signature.

Now, like Jeremy Clarkson after his review of the Bugatti Veyron, I must lament the fact that I will never experience this sound again, in my own home. I have the HD800's on pre-order, but from what I've read, I don't think they will be as engaging or fun to listen to as what I heard yesterday from the R10's. Well, I'll find out in a few weeks, hopefully
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again to Trav for setting this whole thing up. It was great seeing the peeps I had met before, along with all of the new faces.

Anyways, this post will revolve around one topic: the Sony MDR-R10 (Purk - thanks again for bringing it along!). Nothing else I listened to at the meet stood out quite like these 20-year old goliaths.

Now, I'm not a fan of using superlatives, especially after less than 30min of combined listening (both on my system and Purk's), but the R10's combination of that gorgeous, luscious mid-range, along with the fairly large soundstage and well-balanced bass response, combined to create a listening experience that was the best I've ever heard out of a headphone.

Simply put, I have never, ever heard voices and transients (especially on guitar notes) represented so clearly and accurately, without any hint of coldness or artificiality. At the same time, it seems to me that the R10's don't really strive for perfect musical accuracy and super-hyper-detail extraction, but rather focus on presenting an engaging, enveloping experience for the listener, and holy crap, does it work.

I've always been fascinated by the R10's ever since I got into this hobby around 10 years ago now, and it was awesome to not only hear them for the first time, but to also come to terms with the fact that all the hype is true, at least to my ears. It's also sad that no other Sony headphone I've ever heard (and I've heard all the big boys, CD3000, SA5000, with the exception of the 010's) comes anywhere near even touching the surface of the R10's sound signature.

Now, like Jeremy Clarkson after his review of the Bugatti Veyron, I must lament the fact that I will never experience this sound again, in my own home. I have the HD800's on pre-order, but from what I've read, I don't think they will be as engaging or fun to listen to as what I heard yesterday from the R10's. Well, I'll find out in a few weeks, hopefully
wink.gif

Glad you enjoy the R10. Your impression of the R10 is very well rendered. Don't move to Boston so you can listen to the R10 and HE90 side by side next time around.

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you enjoy the R10. Your impression of the R10 is very well rendered. Don't move to Boston so you can listen to the R10 and HE90 side by side next time around.

The move can't be changed unfortunately, but I may just have to fly down to listen to the R10's and HE90 side by side.

I think I still have to listen to the HE90 and the Stax Omega II's to complete my "headphone pantheon" checklist.

As you can tell though, I was duly impressed by the R10's. I truly understand why you prefer them to the L3000's
wink.gif

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #28 of 37
On a serious note I want to thank everyone that attended. I'm absolutely sure this was the best learning experience I could even dream of. IMO I made some wonderful new friends and got to hear some of the finest gear on the planet. If the folks that came to the meet are representative of Head-Fi, then this is a group of incredibly bright people. On a personal note I can't echo Cipher's sentiments enough, it's all about synergy...very little about power. Thanks again!

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

The Bijou probably had Diana Krall - Live In Paris on. The Bijou does the tube magic with the female voice.

Uh ... I better not comment ... except to say I was the one that asked for her.
redface.gif
redface.gif
redface.gif

EDIT: Good thing my wife doesn't read this stuff.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

The Bijou probably had Diana Krall - Live In Paris on. The Bijou does the tube magic with the female voice.

I don't think that's it either. What I listened to had male vocals I think. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check out the Chris Potter Underground. New music is almost always a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back