ATHANC7 review.
Apr 14, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #31 of 101
Apr 15, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #32 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These as they sit sound as good as the base A900LTD. Maybe slightly less bass.

Thanks! Being ATH I think I'll give the ANC7 a try and compare it myself, especially since these are available from Amazon too. Had it been Sennheisers I think I'd pass since the PXCs are a bore...

Quote:

Would that sound show up with a meter? I have one and have checked it out and did not find a high level for when I am listening.

sound meters only show weighted average and really don't reflect any specific portion of the frequency range, which I also think can be misleading since you might think that you're listening at a safe level but really aren't.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #33 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Being ATH I think I'll give the ANC7 a try and compare it myself, especially since these are available from Amazon too. Had it been Sennheisers I think I'd pass since the PXCs are a bore....

I hope you enjoy them and give them some time. I am going on ~50 hours and they sound to me as if they have opened up a bit. They are good enough to reveal differences between my Lavry DA10 headphone amp and my HA5000 if that gives you anything about their resolution.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #34 of 101
Quote:

sound meters only show weighted average and really don't reflect any specific portion of the frequency range, which I also think can be misleading since you might think that you're listening at a safe level but really aren't.

Concerning the sound pressure of the ANC7, the thing about the noise cancellation feature is that you don't have to have it that loud to really enjoy the dynamics of the music. If you are one that just have to have it ear shattering then, yes, you may have a problem with the NC feature and your hearing. But that would be true of any headphone that person would use anyway. So I would not want to blame any extra hearing loss to the feature that actually allows me to listen at quieter levels.

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #35 of 101
Well, it has been 10 days and I have listened to the ANC7s a lot during this period. They have a great mid level Audio-Technica sound.

I give them a hardy (that is very good) recommendation for someone who desires a active noise canceling headphone.

These scale very well from my T1 to the AE-1 on to the DA10 and going onto the HA5000 with every step the ANC7 just gets better. With the HA5000 it almost seems no longer a mid-level unit but I am sure it still is.

The ATH-ANC7s sound so good I have to keep going back to the W5000 to calibrate myself.

Apr 22, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #36 of 101
wow, glad to hear there is a decent NC headphone then. I might have to give 'em a try if I start flying often. :: already an AT fanboy anyways :: :p

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #38 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xsparc7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This, I gotta try myself. If they're as good as described, I might get them for my next trip.

I very much enjoy the AT sound. It took at least a couple of days to get where I could say it's sound stabilized. Remember the ANC7's highs are somewhat rolled off compared with the ATs I have listened too but is still has the AT sound profile to me. After listening to how much the Bose were rolled off and smeared sound, I am thinking the rolled off highs may be necessary for the NC sound to work as well as it does. Make sure you don't listen to the ANC7s without being turned on. They sound distinctly different then, worst. YMNV

Roaddogonline has a good price and I got mine just a little less than 150$ shipped in less than 5 days via Amazon seller program.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #39 of 101
Quote:

After listening to how much the Bose were rolled off and smeared sound, I am thinking the rolled off highs may be necessary for the NC sound to work as well as it does.

I don't think the rolled off sound has anything to do with NC, but I found out something about the Bose QC2 after a week of listening to them-- they sound completely air-less. Virtually most other phones have sufficient amount of treble/hi-frequency to create an artificial sense of "air" or "space," but the Bose doesn't have any of it. What's odd is that the QC2 is capable of producing air/space because there's a lot of it when I listen to live DVD concerts, but not with CD tracks. I think this explains why my QC2 *doesn't* sound rolled-off when I listen to them on the train, because my natural surrounding provides the "air" and ambience -- whats more the highs sound quite "crisp" outdoors, but indoors they sound a bit "dead" !

Anyway, my ANC7 arrives this week... it should be interesting since I like my ATH-A900LTDs and my Bose triports so I don't have any negative prejudices against either brands.

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #40 of 101
Quote:

I don't think the rolled off sound has anything to do with NC, but I found out something about the Bose QC2 after a week of listening to them-- they sound completely air-less. Virtually most other phones have sufficient amount of treble/hi-frequency to create an artificial sense of "air" or "space," but the Bose doesn't have any of it. What's odd is that the QC2 is capable of producing air/space because there's a lot of it when I listen to live DVD concerts, but not with CD tracks. I think this explains why my QC2 *doesn't* sound rolled-off when I listen to them on the train, because my natural surrounding provides the "air" and ambience -- whats more the highs sound quite "crisp" outdoors, but indoors they sound a bit "dead" !

Anyway, my ANC7 arrives this week... it should be interesting since I like my ATH-A900LTDs and my Bose triports so I don't have any negative prejudices against either brands.

Looking forward to your impressions, I always think my impressions are to kind to headphones since I almost always enjoy the music first. We will see and you will hear. This is good.

I am not sure that I can appreciate what you are saying about the Bose but this may suggest more scientific study results from the Bose labs to produce this air where it should be normally used. Used in another forum where it is not designed for and it would be a misapplication if this was indeed how they were designed. This would be a very subtle design feature and a fairly good explanation as to why Bose as a headphone get really bad press or impressions around here.

Apr 23, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #41 of 101
Thank you for the impressions!
I own Bose Q2s and still looking for better NC cans, the Q3s are simply out of consideration.

It seems I can consider these cans and the coming Senn PXC450s
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #42 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by s2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own Bose Q2s and still looking for better NC cans, the Q3s are simply out of consideration.

I've been burning the ANC7 for almost 3 days non-stop now. My first impression: sweet midrange! They remind me of my K501s except a bit drier (slightly thinner) and more laid back, whereas the 501s are in-your-face.

This headphone looks and feels exactly like the Sony Altus. Whereas the Q2s are over-the-ear, the ANC7 is on-the-ear... my earlobes don't fit inside the cups. The Altus however has a death grip whereas the ANC7 isn't that bad. But compared to the Q2s, the ANC7 is pretty uncomfortable.

The bass feels like a hard thump (similar to KSC75s) while the Q2s are firm yet rounded. An analogy would be being punched with bare hands v.s. a boxing glove. It doesn't go down as deep as the Q2s, and on some tracks I feel there's just a little rolloff.

The treble is beautiful. They sound just about right... no artificial, metallic-sounding sparkle like the ksc75s or the dt880s. They REALLY put the Q2s to shame in this respect.

Now the really bad part: the soundstage. It's VERY narrow. Any narrower I might as well be listening to the KSC75s, or my SR001, or Grados. Unfortunately, these sound as though you have speakers stuck to your ears. A world of difference from the A900LTDs.

May 14, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #43 of 101
Just picked one up! Thanks!

I assume they work just fine out of portable? Yes?

May 15, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #44 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just picked one up! Thanks!

I assume they work just fine out of portable? Yes?

They sound very good out of portable, and also isolates better than the qc2.

May 15, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #45 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool. I hope you can find out more than I did. My main reason for my original line of thought was even if they make things sound quieter, are they safe for your hearing?

But I'm naturally paranoid. I don't know if I'd ever get NC headphones, but I've always found headphones on planes to be unsatisfactory.

I just wanted to say that you're not alone in feeling the pressure in the ears when listening to Active Noise Canellation headphones. Every time I have tried ANC headphones they have given me a headache within 30minutes of putting them on. I know that it is the ANC causing it because the same headphones with the noise cancellation turned off don't cause the headache even after listening for a while. From what I have read, a small percentage of people are sensitive to the anti-noise and can feel pressure, and for some, even pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back