ATH WS99 Replacement Pads
Jan 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #16 of 25
  Thank you a lot! Ill try those http://www.ebay.de/itm/301697699312?euid=cbddc767500949838432641e64ae6afd&cp=1

P.S. Both the original earpads and the iBassoDX90 are fully OK I just want the maximum :))) Ill tell you how it is.

those say: "the inner diameter is about 1.97 x 1.29inch (50 x 33mm)"
This is way too few for an over ear. Unless you have baby ears.
Besides, did you ask how thick they are? If they are as thick as the stock ones, why would you change the stock ones?

Anyway, I urge you to try the HM5 angled.
You will never realize the full potential of the ATH-WS99 (and 99BT) without those pads.

May 24, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #17 of 25
I'm currently thinking about switching to the HM5 angled myself ! But I'm wondering how it will look on the WS99BT. Would it possible to see a picture of your mighty WS99BT Giogio ?! 

May 24, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 25
For outdoor?
I would not necessarily mind, if they would be my only pair and I would be addicted to their sound with HM5.
But they do indeed look more bulky. Some people told me they don't feel like wearing them in public.
But there are BT HP which are bigger, like the Def Tech Symphony 1, also meant to be used in public (even ANC).

I will take a picture tomorrow.
Now I upload some pictures of WS99 vs WS99BT, and what I have about the mod I do to the HM5 to make them more stable (as they are bigger than the cups, the extremities parts don't have anything behind them and tend to flex more than the centre. So I make them a bit more rigid with some plastic).
You can see a bit the difference with the stock pads.

Just a note: originally I had made the inner opening of these blue thing a bit smaller, so to cover also that white circle around the perforated plastic of the speaker. Then I though that that white thing should be free so I made the hole as big as in the picture.
But lately A.T. told me that the white circle is a dampening thing which is supposed to be covered. Supposedly the stock pads press there (I didn't think so, but they say so). So, if you make this mod, the hole should be smaller and the plastic should cover the white circle.
Or, try and have fun :)

May 24, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #19 of 25
Thank you Giogio, this is very helpful !

No, I don't mind wearing a bulky headphone in public ! But I'm just afraid that the WS99BT, with much bigger earpads, will seem a bit strange and abnormal. 
I'd like to see a picture of your WS99BT with the HM5 earpads in the same position than in the second picture : I'm wondering how the earpads are exceeding the drivers from this point of view.

And thanks by the way for being the WS99BT advertiser outside Japan ! Audio Technica should gave you a check 
tongue_smile.gif

May 26, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #20 of 25
Well, a check would be unusual, I am not aware of any reviewer paid for a review, and I would not see that as a good thing, because it's kind of a conflict of interests, although it is perfectly possible to be paid and still be objective. And it is possible to be not paid and be not objective (which is what most amateurs reviewers do, expressing their personal tastes as universal objective truths).
The only time I was offered money was from Avantree as a thanks for all the help I gave them creating new products (I am their main Beta Tester, and Advisor for new products).  I refused because I do not want to get money from this. This is my hobby and my passion, I enjoy it because it is an hobby, if I get money for it, it becomes a job, and I will not enjoy it. I hate jobs :)

Eventually reviewers get free products (not always, many PR give the Test Unit for a limited time, it depends on the Company, the product, and the Reviewer).
This may be also a source of conflict of interests, and I always thought that it was, but now that I receive free units I can say, at least speaking for myself, that it is possible to be objective anyway. I write what I have to write, positive or negative, no matter if I have got a free unit or not. I have reviewed positively units I had to buy myself, and negatively units received for free.
And I was never asked anything in change of a free unit. Only one Company once wanted to have control over what I would write. I sent them to hell.

Audio Technica sent me their new ATH-SR5BT and a second ATH-WS99BT for free (the first one I bought it from Japan), so that I could test the SR (I was apparently the first in the world to receive it) and I can now do quick A/B of the two WS99BT to say the exact difference between the sound with stock pads or with WS99BT. Which is why I requested them to send me a new WS99BT, as I was going mad quickly changing pads in my unit. And I wanted to see if this (in)famous Burn-In is a myth or not.
I must admit, I was scared that the SR5 would not be good, they have been so kind with me, and I love the WS99BT so much, that having to review the SR5 negatively would have been painful.
Luckily they are among the very best On Ear BT HP on the market :)

Now, about your request:

Above, Denon AH-GC20, ATHWS99BT with stock pads, Phiaton BT 460, Beats Studio Wireless.
Below, Sennheiser M2AEBT, ATH-WS99BT with HM5 angled leatherette pads, BeoPlay H7, JBL Everest 700.

Here what you wanted:

The one on the right was also modified to have more clamping force (the headband has a metal core and can be bent).

May 26, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #21 of 25
It's just that you're a very good ambassador for the WS99BT. I think a lot of the buyers outside Japan made their order because of you.

Thank you very much for the picture, I've got to admit it doesn't look bad at all. I think I'm going to try it. But what about the new metal core of the headband ? Did you put it because what the HM5 earpads did to the headset, or is it just because you found the clamping force of the "original" WS99BT not hard enough to begin with ?

Thank you !

May 26, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #22 of 25
It's not a mod. I did not put anything in the headband, the headband comes just like that, with the core made of steel. Most headbands do.
So, being made of steel, it is possible to bend it to make the clamping force stronger or weaker.
I have felt that a stronger clamping force on my head was a good thing. It seals better, it transmits the bass better.
But there is nothing wrong with how they come out of the box. And all heads are different, so, everybody would need a different adjustment (or no adjustment) of the Headband.
There is a discussion thread for the WS99BT, you may want to let us know your impressions there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/801454/ath-ws99bt-discussion-impressions

May 26, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 25
Oh OK ! One last question : it may be a stupid one, but I'm wondering in which way do we put the angled earpads (I think I'm gonna take this one) ? I'm guessing the thick part is for the back of the ear and the thin part for the front... is that correct ? Thank you !

May 26, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #24 of 25
yes, thick back. The concept is to create an angle so that the sound does not come from the sides but slightly from the front.
In the case of this HP it is particularly interesting because the thin part is thinner than the flat HM5, and the thick part is thicker. So that at same time there is more space for protruding ears, and the drivers are kept closer than on the flat HM5, preserving more of the original impactful sound of the WS99BT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back