ATH WS99 Replacement Pads
Dec 6, 2014 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

KewlMunky

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what to do about the pads on my WS99's. They are plenty soft, but like most people I've seen on here, they are too shallow and so I feel the grills of the drivers on my ears. I'm curious as to what other people may have found for pads to replace the stock ones.

I have seen some people have replaced them with HE 500 velour pad's. I looked into those, but they appear to have a back plate on them, where the WS99's pads just slip off, so how would the HE 500 ones fit on?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 25
I ended up going with the DT250 velour pads to replace the stock ones. This information will be with using the back plates that came with the pads as well, and is also for just initial listening having just gotten the pads.

Man, what a difference! First of all, the comfort is much better. I instantly noticed my ears not being squished up against the grills of the speakers. Being these pads are a bit thicker and don't squish so much, the headphones clamp more. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as I felt they were too loose before.

Instantly I noticed more bass. It was a bit more detailed as well. It wasn't a huge leap, but noticeable. The highs seemed to have changed the most. Before, they seemed to have sometimes been masked by the bass and mids, but now shine through pretty good. Although, it can be a little much at times. It doesn't sound like I lost anything in the mids, they sound rather the same.

Overall, I am very pleased with the pads and would highly recommend them to anyone looking to replace the stock ones.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 25
Hi, I have just bought the ATH-WS99BT, which are supposed to be mostly the same. So I suppose the pads should be the same too.
Can you provide more info about the producer of these pads you are talking about, and where I can buy them online? I live in EU but, well, online is online :)

Did you also try any other?

Thanks

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 25
I believe your version is just a blue tooth wireless edition, so they should be the same structurally. 

Here is where I bought mine from: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/313962-REG/Beyerdynamic_942704_Padded_Earcushions_for_DT250_DT280.html

Alternatively, I believe the velours for the Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 series may fit as well, and probably better being they are round instead of oblong like the ones I bought.

I did not try any other pads than the stock ones and the DT 250 velours. Though I may purchase the velours that fit the models I listed above to see how they fair.

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 25
Thanks, I have been looking at those models. There must be some difference between the 770 and the 880/990 because Beyer sells two different earpads for them.
I wrote them to have the dimensions. I think they may be a bit big, the athws99 are 80mm diameter, but for those beyer I have found some generic replacements which also are said to fit on a ath pro700 which should be 900 or 100cm. Not sure that would work.

How did you adapt the oval form of those pads to a round headphone? Does it seal all around?
Considering it is a semi closed design which leaks lot of sound, I do not wish more leaking :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #6 of 25
It's a bit of work, but you are able to get the pad to stretch around the plastic lip. Basically, only  the sides of the pad will be around the mounting lip, while the top and bottom will be away from it. For a better seal, put the plastic mount ring on the pads, then put the pads on. This is harder to get on yet, but not worldly difficult. I can't really explain how to do it, but I'm sure you'll understand it once you have the pieces in your hands.

Overall, I would think you have a slightly lesser seal than the stock pads with the DT250, but that's because they are oblong and not round. If you happen to find out the DT770/880/990 ones would fit, let me know.

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 25
I was told by Byerdynamic that their round Earpads have a diameter of 10cm. I do not feel like trying.
Even if, I have written to MP4 Nation and they told me the Brainwavz HM5 have outer diameters of 110/90. So, even the smalles side is 1 cm longer than the ATH pads.
How can they fit? I do not get it.
Can you please give me the dimensions (outer and inner diameters, and thickness) of your pads?

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 25
I just got the ATH-WS99 and looking at replacing the stock pads with something a little more firmer?

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 25
  I just got the ATH-WS99 and looking at replacing the stock pads with something a little more firmer?

If you just want firmer, I suggest you to stuff them.
I had some kind of, you know those mats for camping or for yoga? I have cut two circles, 1 cm thick/high, and stuffed them there.
The pads became higher, not much, 4mm, but enough to have less contact of ears with the drivers. And they also became harder, which transmits better the vibration of the bass.

Now, IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
I have just tried the pads of the AKG K845BT on my ATH-WS99BT.
They are even thicker than the stuffed ATH pads. So I am now experimenting with stuffing them to make them eventually thicker and harder, but at least for my ears they are enough deep as they are.
They are just slightly larger than the original ones, which causes them to move a bit, and the sleeve on the back is not so large, which gives them a little margin to be fixed into the ATH.
But it works, they seal on all sides.
I will let you know if they move out.
The inner diameter is also larger, which is GOOD.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #10 of 25

If you just want firmer, I suggest you to stuff them.
I had some kind of, you know those mats for camping or for yoga? I have cut two circles, 1 cm thick/high, and stuffed them there.
The pads became higher, not much, 4mm, but enough to have less contact of ears with the drivers. And they also became harder, which transmits better the vibration of the bass.

Now, IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:
I have just tried the pads of the AKG K845BT on my ATH-WS99BT.
They are even thicker than the stuffed ATH pads. So I am now experimenting with stuffing them to make them eventually thicker and harder, but at least for my ears they are enough deep as they are.
They are just slightly larger than the original ones, which causes them to move a bit, and the sleeve on the back is not so large, which gives them a little margin to be fixed into the ATH.
But it works, they seal on all sides.
I will let you know if they move out.
The inner diameter is also larger, which is GOOD.

So your telling me to "stuff it" :)

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 25

So your telling me to "stuff it" :)

It worked for me.
The fact is, I have researched long, and found no earpads which could fit on the WS99.
The mostly used Brainwavz HM5 is very big and soft. You want hard.
The pads of the Kicker Cush would fit, apparently (they do not sell them in EU, so I could not try). And they are deep and a bit bigger, they could maybe be even better than the AKG ones for comfort (no idea how they would change the sound) but they are quite soft for what I have read.
The AKG ones are also soft. Now I have stuffed them and they do not become as hard as the stuffed ATH.
So, for hardness, I can only suggest you to stuff the stock ATH ones. Yes.
For better comfort, I can only speak of the AKG ones, which I have just seen that they also reduce the slight low-mid muddiness of the WS99 and improve the soundstage a bit, while also unfortunately reduce a little bt the bass, but not much (overall, I am more than satisfied so, the comfort is much better).
The Kicker, no idea.

I have written to dozens and dozens of sellers or earpads and producers of headphones.
Either the earpads are too big, or they have no idea how big they are and are too lazy to just go and measure.
Most answers I got them by asking owners in Amazon.
So, never found any earpads which can fit. Sorry :)

May 23, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 25
It is for the ATH-WS99BT but as far as I know the dimensions are exactly the same so it would work on the wired WS99 too:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/746519/huge-comparison-of-almost-all-the-best-bluetooth-headphones-post-your-own-comparisons-here/1095#post_11628083

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #13 of 25
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-for-Audio-Technica-ATH-WS70-ATH-WS77-ATH-WS99-SONY-MDR-V55-Somic-E-95-/271875418699?hash=item3f4d09aa4b:g:9rYAAOSwpdpVW-G3 and what about those? do they give better bass also? Are those pads still over the ear?

Jan 11, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #14 of 25
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-for-Audio-Technica-ATH-WS70-ATH-WS77-ATH-WS99-SONY-MDR-V55-Somic-E-95-/271875418699?hash=item3f4d09aa4b:g:9rYAAOSwpdpVW-G3 and what about those? do they give better bass also? Are those pads still over the ear?

I saw them from another seller, he answered: The item size outer diameter 80mm, inner diameter 40mm, thickness 17mm.
So, forget it. It is a real replacement, meaning, not an improvement (maybe even worse, beside the horrible colour.

I have news anyway.
As you know my favourite BT Headphone is the ATH-WS99BT so I have tried all possible earpads on them. They are the BT version with same dimensions of the wired version.
Here a list of the earpads which I have tried and which fit.
FYI, OD is outer diameter, ID inner diameter, T is thickness (the distance between the base and the top), S is the sleeve (the thing on the back which you must insert in the headphone) and so if you do OT-2xS you have the real outer diameter. One example: OT 9, S 1, 9-2x1=7. So, the outer diameter excluding 1 cm sleeve all around is 7. Which is ok for the ATH. You should not have much less than 7 or it is difficult to insert, and not reach 8 or it might fall out.
Measures are in cm.

Razer Kraken: OD 9, S 1, T 2.5, ID 5
Nice, comfortable, do not alter the sound noticeably. Easy to find.

Kicker Cush: OD 9, S 1, T 2.7, ID 5.2
Not so nice, comfortable, alter the sound a bit, difficult to get (Kicker is not a friendly Company). It makes imo no sense to make the effort, eventually get the Razer.

AKG K845BT: OD 8.5, S 0.5, T 2.2, ID 5.5
Nice, soft but not thick enough to solve the problem of the curve of the driver which touched the ears. I still have to stuff them with some kind of dense foam (like the yoga mats, or camping mats. Beware, each material will alter the sound differently). But at least they offer slightly more space. They are easy to get as AKG sells them, but expensive. So...

Brainwavz HM5. They make several versions of different materials, which affect the sound differently, and one angled. All are VERY comfortable.
They are oval, so I will give two OD and two ID, and for the angled I give two T because, well, it is angled. The dimensions may vary a few mm, but are so abundant that it does not matter.
- Hybrid 3 Materials (Leatherette outside, Velour above, perforated leatherette inside): OD 11 and 9, S 2, T 3, ID 7 and 5
the velour on to gives a nice not cold feeling on the skin. But the perforated peatherette was not, as I had hoped, an improvement in sound over the full leatherette. They absorb some bass and some mids, making the sound somehow more balanced if you also agree that the ATH are a bit bassy and a bit warm. The sound becomes more bright and thin. The 5-6k becomes at times more sibilant. The soundstage is improved, the impact a bit reduced, there re is no muddiness, a slight veil.
- leatherette: same dimensions, maybe a bit more OD.
They improves the soundstage more, although with a slight boominess and muddiness which is mostly compensable with EQ. The bass is overall increased but its impact is reduced due to the distance from the ears. Much less absorbtion of mids, and less effect on the 5-6k. These are the ones I have used with plenty of satisfaction till now.
- angled leatherette: same dimensions but T is 2.5 on the front and 4 on the rear, and the ID is 7 and 4, so, 1 cm less horizontally.
they are the one I use now. They respect the sound and impactfullness of the ATH the most. The mids are almost unaltered, the bass a bit improved, almost no veil/muddiness/boominess, the soundstage is still improved, there is almost no sibilance on the 5-6k. The drivers are nearer to the ear due to the angled form and the less thickness on the front, which is I suspect the reason why they respect the impact of ATH' sound. At same time the bigger thickness on the rear makes them able to host more protruding ears. I must say, the horizontal space might become a little tight for large ears. I suppose they could be stuffed with something which forces them to be more round. Maybe even just pushing the sleeve more inside could work. I personally have made a semi rigid oval form which I have inserted on the back, below the sleeve (of course with a hole for the sound). Mine is as bright as the earpads, it is just to provide more rigidness on top and bottom where the earpads do not have the drivers behind. But if you make it brighter it would force the earpads to be more round. It must be flexible enough to be pushed there.
I anyway so much prefer the sound of these, that I do not care if my ears touch a bit the sides.
- velour, I do not have them anymore, the dimensions were the same, maybe a bit smaller and thinner, matter of few mm. Also, given the less rigid material they would flex more and make the ears go more inside, so, less overall final thickness. They are nice to feel, you decide if you like the look. The sound is in my memory like with the hybrid, which is why they went back.

In few words, buy the Razer AND the Brainwavz.
I would suggest buying all the different HM5 and sending back those you do not like. The company is reliable, the refund arrives.

Do not forget to use foobar2000 with the Real Bass Exciter plugin, you will not believe what it can do to the bass.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 25
Thank you a lot! Ill try those http://www.ebay.de/itm/301697699312?euid=cbddc767500949838432641e64ae6afd&cp=1 but I ordered also the grey and red ones (who know its highly possible they are little bit different). 
Thank you for the Foobar2000 Real Bass Exciter Plugin tip but Im mobile fan (mostly I listen in the bus or metro) and I ordered that http://www.head-fi.org/products/cayin-c5-portable-hifi-audio-headphone-amplifier to complement mine iBassoDX90 :)

P.S. Both the original earpads and the iBassoDX90 are fully OK I just want the maximum :))) Ill tell you how it is. Now Im listening with mine WS99 before m50x as well as Fiio EX1 I still have the three of them as well as AKG K545 and Pioneer HDJ1000. If anyone is interested in the last two I sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back