ATH WS99 or Beyer DT770 Pro AE?
May 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Death3man

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys!

I love listening to any music really, from things such as pop, rap, hiphop, rock, and electronic genres. I also enjoy other styles, not sure exactly what they are classified under, but I enjoy music from say the BeeGees, or Beatles. I love melodious songs from say Bruce Springsteen, or even the great songs from Neil Young. Basically I enjoy any music! 

I was looking for quite a fun sounding headphone rather than analytical and plain headphone.

I think after so discussion with others I have managed to narrow it down to a few suggestions, although they may differ from the original post.

- Audio Technica WS99
- Beyer DT770 AE

These are the headphones that are all roughly around the same price range and I have sparked some interest for me. I am looking for a decent amount of bass rumble and impact, but also well presented mids and highs as well.
The other qualities I would like the headphones to have is comfort, portability, and isolation. I will be using these outdoors at times but not 24/7. So I wouldn't mind a bit of isolation. I will also require these headphones to have a bit more portability, as I will be using them occassionally on the go.

For now I will be using them straight out of an iPod or through my PC, however if the headphones require amping, I will purchase an amp, I was looking into the C&C BH portable amplifier. But for now I do not find the need to own one because I do not own any headphones.

If there is anything else that perhaps comes into play then please suggest them to me! I would love to hear about different options as well!

Thanks to all those helping me out!

May 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 4
I have the dt770 80 ohm and ws99 and prefer the ws99. The ws99's bass is much tighter, less muddy, and faster. The mids also aren't recessed, and the only thing that's recessed are the highs. The dt770 is more comfortable, has slightly better build, and has better isolation, but not by a long shot. Ws99 hands down.

May 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 4
I think the DT 770 AE is one of the worst buys for the money. It has a very honky, plasticky tonality with nothing special about its sound. I thought the ATH-A900X offered much better sound all-around for much cheaper. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back