ATH W5000 Vs. W11JPN
Dec 30, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 23
A few points in no particular order...

The W5000 will have poor isolation regardless of how tight the headband is, because there's two slits hidden on the sides just behind the pads that lead almost directly into the ear chamber.

If the W5000 headband is too loose, the sound will be thinner than it should. You can bend the headband to make them clamp very tightly, but the bass quality of them will still be only a fraction of what it is on a modded pair with the headband still loose.

I don't think the W5000 is specifically either source or amp dependant per se, but rather very critical of any upstream components. Not so much in the typical audiophile "these are so good they need only the best", but more in the fact that their extreme sensitivity will highlight any noise, hiss, interference, distortion, etc on any upstream component.

I agree with the others that the W5000 is more detailed/analytical/brighter and the W11JPN more fun/lush/euphonic, but there are mods that can make the W5000 more euphonic like the W11JPN/L3000 while still keeping most of it's own unique sonic character in the midrange.

The headband on my own pair always looked fairly big to me, from the pictures I've seen of other pairs, but even when I bend it into a looser fit it still stays on my head with no problem.

-Fitz
eggosmile.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

I agree with the others that the W5000 is more detailed/analytical/brighter and the W11JPN more fun/lush/euphonic, but there are mods that can make the W5000 more euphonic like the W11JPN/L3000 while still keeping most of it's own unique sonic character in the midrange.

I'm sure that the W11JPN will have more details and better definitition after a cable upgrade, but they are so pretty and rare that no one wants to attempt the modifidcation.

Dec 30, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-Fitz
eggosmile.gif

hamm, anyone mentioned mods ?
icon10.gif

what mods are we talking about ?
tongue.gif

Purk:
What is wrong with the stock W11JPN cable ?

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure that the W11JPN will have more details and better definitition after a cable upgrade, but they are so pretty and rare that no one wants to attempt the modifidcation.

If I had the W11JPN I'd tear into it with mods in no time, I care not about rarity!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hamm, anyone mentioned mods ?
icon10.gif

what mods are we talking about ?
tongue.gif

Purk:

There isn't any public info on the mods yet, because I need to take pictures and make a clear explanation one of these days. But I've gotten extremely positive feedback from two people who tried them, and a third who liked them but in the end preferred stock.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Purk:

Nope....the cable on the W11JPN is more than adequate. My point is every headphone will likely benefit from a cable upgrade. In the past, I've heard the R10s sounding even more open with the cable upgrade. For a really highend headphones, I prefer them as stock as any change might effect the resale value and original sonics representation.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #22 of 23
Same goes for the W11JPN, not because it is so High End, but as you said, it is too "rare" to be modified, it's scarry
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back