ATH W5000 Vs. W11JPN
Dec 29, 2006 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
I was wondering, how does the W11JPN compare to the AT W5000(which I own) in terms of sound quality and signature, sensitivity to the source, amplification gain and comfort.

Do they have the same issue as the W5000 on small/narrow heads ? giving loose fit and poor isolation ? from the pictures, they seem to be smaller which will result in tighter fit and better grip on the head.

I have the option to buy and try, I wonder if it's worth the effort and $$$.

Thank you
eggosmile.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Do they have the same issue as the W5000 on small/narrow heads ? giving loose fit and poor isolation ? from the pictures, they seem to be smaller which will result in tighter fit and better grip on the head.

No, the W11JPN will not give you a loose fit. The W11JPN is one of the most comfortable and well-made cans I have owned. The W5000 has a loose fit and can sound thin and lacking in the bass department if your head is too small. Sound wise, the W11JPN is more fun to listen than the W5000. The W5000 also has more details and better image placement than the W11JPN. The W5000 is also brighter than the W11JPN. It is a matter of preference than anything else.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 23
Purk, thanks for your comment, I was starting to think that all the Head-Fiers are decorating their Christmas trees
tongue.gif

Your words are inspiring and interesting:
I really think they should have make the arc of the W5K smaller, though my head is not a small one, I still feel lack of isolation and the sound is towards the thin sound signature, which is something I consider a major downside in the W5K.

I guess that when you say fun, you mean musical and liquid
icon10.gif
sounds tempting.

I guess that just as everything, some thing will be better on the W11JPN and some on the W5K, it's all a matter of preference, indeed
orphsmile.gif

Thanks a lot
cool.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 23
The wings on JPN is different from W5000, which could contribute to the difference in fitting. The pads are made of different material as well. Based on my experience with both two, JPN does have a more snug fit than the W5000.

Soundwise, it's really entirely up to your taste of music. JPN being more euphonic and W5000 being relatively more balanced sound. I feel W5000 reacts more to change in amplification.

Hope this helps.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 23
So as far as I understand, the comfort and fit on the JPN are as I would want it, small, tight, comfortable
evil_smiley.gif

Soundwise, I guess I would have to listen for myself.

W5000 are more reactive to amplification ? they barely react to amplification in my opinion, I would have define them as 80% source dependent and 20% amplification dependent, they are extremely sensitive to the source, as far as I have seen.

How does the JPN reacts to sources ?

All in all, you guys have been great help
biggrin.gif
thanks a lot ! and merry Xmass
cool.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 23
Not too long back another headfier posited a theory about there being two sizes of W5000. I can confirm this, after selling my first pair I ordered another from Pricejapan and this one definitely had a smaller headband. Smaller to the degree that I can forego the use of the rubber band mod altogether. It could just be a manufacturing anomaly or AT finally got their act together and addressed the issue.

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 23
When did you ordered your pair ?
how big is the difference ?
I got mine from AudioCubes this July BTW.

I doubt a manufacturing anomaly will occur and I find it strange that AT will change the size without mentioning anything about it
rolleyes.gif

it's a nice theory though

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you ordered your pair ?
how big is the difference ?
I got mine from AudioCubes this July BTW.

I doubt a manufacturing anomaly will occur and I find it strange that AT will change the size without mentioning anything about it
rolleyes.gif

it's a nice theory though

Ordered and delivered in October. As indicated, my first pair would not even stay on my head without the rubber band mod so to me the difference is fairly substantial. Perhaps it is time to get out the callipers and do some measuring, maybe then the issue could be put to bed once and for all.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 23
SK138 and I had a mini-meet and we put two W5000s back-to-back. From my memory there appeared to clearly be a difference between the two. Probably as much as a half inch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered and delivered in October. As indicated, my first pair would not even stay on my head without the rubber band mod so to me the difference is fairly substantial. Perhaps it is time to get out the callipers and do some measuring, maybe then the issue could be put to bed once and for all.

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=large]Draw your ruler out ladies and gentlemen[/size], [size=large]we are taking this down tonight[/size] !
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Now seriously, where did you see differences exactly ? so we can all post our measurements here and have a solid and firm conclusion.
tongue.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 23
Too bad we didn't take a picture of the comparison.

What I remember is that we put them side beside so the ear cups right and left we touching as if they were hanging on a rod support by the wire rings running between the left and right ear cups. The clearance between the ear cups was noticeable between the two headphones.

A drawing or picture would be worth a 1000 words. I am not sure that I can 'plain it any better.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 23
So I guess I have the "small" version ?

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess I have the "small" version ?

I am sending my W5000 to the Headfier who bought my original set, he will do measurements and pics and post the results here.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 23
Mr. Shadow - just might be. I have a pair which I consider "big" and only fits with elastic bands (I have a very narrow head). When the bands are off, the two cups do not touch. They only touch at the bottom like in that photo when the bands are on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back