ATH-W1000X Thread!
Sep 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,066 of 1,994
Yeah, I just find it funny that I've read everywhere that these aren't for rock and hiphop (and I owned the Pro 900's, Beyer DT990 and Fidelio X1 so I know my bass), while these are seriously good for these genres. Yeah bass doesn't hurt your ears or overpower, but that's a good thing.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #1,067 of 1,994
  Yeah, I just find it funny that I've read everywhere that these aren't for rock and hiphop (and I owned the Pro 900's, Beyer DT990 and Fidelio X1 so I know my bass), while these are seriously good for these genres. Yeah bass doesn't hurt your ears or overpower, but that's a good thing.

yeap and trust me when you mod it, that bass get's even tighter. I like it and my Dt 990 equally, my DT 990 does TIGHTER meaner things, where as I like my w1000x for more mellow bass tunes 

Welp the Audio GD is here and I must say :O the W1000x with it sounds well like a CLONE of the Dt 880 but closed... which is a shame because the Dt 880 get's a touch more mid body out of the AUdio GD where as the W1000x get's even tighter really making them very simmilar! Which is great if you need a closed can at home as it's easily one of the best closed can's I've EVER listend to... but I don't need a closed can at home so :[ think I'm going to pass her onto another user! And hope some one else get's a chance to enjoy these :3 

That and I think I'm going to try and get a W3k Anv

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #1,068 of 1,994
I spent a few days with these at a hifi convention earlier this year. I liked them a lot. (My main headphones are the Beyer T1's, Senn HD800's, Denon D7K). I ended up getting the AT-W3000ANV and also like them very much. And yet, I still would like to get a pair of the Grandiosos. Am I crazy? Lol. Just something about their performance and style at that price point impressed me very much. I think all AT 'phones are imperfect, yet something beguiling about them too. I love it when I get a lot of enjoyment out of sensibly priced gear. Can anyone else relate?

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,069 of 1,994
lol, I love it. Reasonably priced. for some they are the most expensive phones they could ever imagine buying. Its all relative I know but reasonable isnt the word I would use. They are sexy and when I was shopping for at the office phones I thought they were the best looking ones I could find in the 400 minus market. Your not crazy at all, go get u some :)

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #1,070 of 1,994
I spent a few days with these at a hifi convention earlier this year. I liked them a lot. (My main headphones are the Beyer T1's, Senn HD800's, Denon D7K). I ended up getting the AT-W3000ANV and also like them very much. And yet, I still would like to get a pair of the Grandiosos. Am I crazy? Lol. Just something about their performance and style at that price point impressed me very much. I think all AT 'phones are imperfect, yet something beguiling about them too. I love it when I get a lot of enjoyment out of sensibly priced gear. Can anyone else relate?

I can relate... I kept mine as the sound heavenly out of my pb1 n hm801 once I balance the w1000X I think ill have my end game portable set up.

Sadly the build of the pb1 is not as nice as the sound... the 3.5mm out is finnecky so going balanced will let me use the better sounding balanced out from the amp. Plus a big ole 6.5 to 3.5mm adapter adds more strain on the poor little pb1 3.5mm out

but on my hm801 n pb1 the w1000x with purrin mods n L3k pads sounds effortlessly seductive. airu n detailed

Sep 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #1,071 of 1,994
I got my L3000 pads and ya, they are a world nicer feeling and looking. Not sure I hear a whole lot of difference but that doesnt surprise me as Im not the best at picking up subtle differences. Plus I wasnt exactly intimately familiar with the phones when I changed them out as I only had maybe 6 hours on them and they may have been still changing on their own weather it be burn in or my ears adjusting. At first they sounded kinda loose to me but they sound much tighter now. Ive got about 16-20 hours on them total now with most of that time with L3000 pads. Im used to open headphones also.

I will try that purrin mod. I think I found a thread on it once although I lost it now. I think he didnt actually use dynamat? It was something else I cant remember. Once I find that thread Ill give it a shot so long I can find the supplies at home depot or lowes. Is it possible to undue it if I dont like it or does that stuff stick crazy strong?

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,072 of 1,994
I have done the purrin mod on my w1000x and its true what everyone says, bottom hits tighter and snappier. I went the extra mile and ordered dynamat from amazon for the mod. I also have the w5000 pads and its night and day difference as far a comfort. Sound is more isolated to the ears and these w5000 pads angles the drivers more towards the ear canal.

Note: when attempting the mod be extra careful and take your time. The screws are very small, very easy to lose. Also, keep it away from the drivers because the magnet can suck it right into the driver and could create damage.

Happy listening!

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #1,073 of 1,994
Sounds good dyang, thanks for the words of caution.

On the dynamat, is this basically what you got. Or could you be more specific what you got on amazon? Here is what I found that is reasonably priced so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-13100-DynaTape-Sound-Deadener/dp/B002WP362U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1380248259&sr=8-5&keywords=dynamat

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,074 of 1,994
  Sounds good dyang, thanks for the words of caution.

On the dynamat, is this basically what you got. Or could you be more specific what you got on amazon? Here is what I found that is reasonably priced so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-13100-DynaTape-Sound-Deadener/dp/B002WP362U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1380248259&sr=8-5&keywords=dynamat

This is what I used and they are super sticky, you wouldn't have to worry about it falling off.  I was trying to look for something in less quantity but this is the smallest that I can find.  They are pretty thick but don't worry, you will still have a "woody" sound after this mod.  It's suppose to tight things up without changing anything else.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=Dynamat+10415+10%22+x+10%22+x+0.067%22+Thick+Self-Adhesive+Sound+Deadener+with+Xtreme+Speaker+Kit+-+Pair

beerchug.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #1,077 of 1,994

sounds good...  you won't regret it 
wink_face.gif

Agree'd and interesting story, the W1000x has much better sound stage out of my hm801 and Pb1 than my Audio GD 10ES2 [both using SE output] 

The mids are also still a little forward on the w1000x after the mod, thankfully, although a good bit of the decay is lost. but that just makes it all the more punchier [as the wood gives an an extra edge of umph
 that and pair it with a warm source and amp for pure magic! As she's DAMN near linear after the mods! So she can even take tunes :D just imagine WOODEN 2nd Harmonics ^^

but yea man the hm801 pb1 combo has a... better SE than my AGD :O 

might be that SUPER clean DAC in the AGD, still even with my dt 880s the AGD SE is a little loose and sadly my oDac and mStage is even more laid back than the AGD SE q.q

That said the Hm801 pb1 make a great pair with the w1000x in a portable rig :3, a shame though that the w1000x even with L3k pads has so so isolation... the Shure 840, sound Maigic Hp 100 and Akg K550 all isolated about 33% more and it was well significant

but WHO CARES they sound like crap again'st the W1000LPX 

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #1,079 of 1,994
I believe the L3000 are the same as the w5000 but maybe a tad thicker from what Ive heard. But they are round and they're over the ear.

"Well depending on how big your ears are". Haha

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #1,080 of 1,994
I believe the L3000 are the same as the w5000 but maybe a tad thicker from what Ive heard. But they are round and they're over the ear.

"Well depending on how big your ears are". Haha

I have other big ears in the l3000 pads actually oval shaped that said they fit over my air is quite nice

I'm also quite amazed at how well the W 1000 sounds after the mods

it becomes almost more transparent the my DT 880 but of course still close with a little bit of wood resin the base

still out of a dark and very refined a reference or such as the HM 801 n pb1 is an amazing sense of delicacy to the mids

just imagine that every time you hear a piano note or strum on the guitar you can feel a quick tactilile sensation against your ear yet the headphone maintains a somewhat mellow and laid back and interment presentation

cannot wait to get it balanced is balancing as a touch more weight and sound stage which would further enhance the sensation in overall experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back