ATH-W1000X Thread!
Apr 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #886 of 1,994
Have had the W1000X for about a week and completely agree about the sound being pretty great. I don't miss the T1 as I listen to them, like I did before with the T70's.

Really dislike how the pads sit on my ears though. Those of you with the Jmoney pads, do your ears fit inside those pads or are they similar to the stock W1000X pads? Also, where are you buying them? Thanks.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #887 of 1,994
Quote:
I got the pads today and I'm surprised with (1) how well they fit the W1000X and (2) how naked the W1000X driver assembly is with the stock pads removed. I was pretty afraid of getting hair or dust into the drivers.

I'm not 100% sure on how the sound changed as I'm not an expert "pad roller" and don't believe I could properly AB these to confidently say, but the comfort is vastly improved and I find them less sonically fatiguing for long sessions.

I recently got a pair of HD 650s in a trade and I do believe that the W1000X are at least in the same class, so I'm shocked as to why they're so overlooked. Must be that orthodynamic craze?

I think they changed the sound a bit for the better, but the comfort is ten-fold.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #888 of 1,994
Quote:
Have had the W1000X for about a week and completely agree about the sound being pretty great. I don't miss the T1 as I listen to them, like I did before with the T70's.

Really dislike how the pads sit on my ears though. Those of you with the Jmoney pads, do your ears fit inside those pads or are they similar to the stock W1000X pads? Also, where are you buying them? Thanks.

The ear fits inside them and they are becoming more and more rare, keep your eye on the classified section.

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #889 of 1,994
Quote:
I think they changed the sound a bit for the better, but the comfort is ten-fold.

Yeah, the comfort is definitely great. I got a pair of somewhat-broken-in HD 650s on Tuesday and listened to them for 2 or so hours. Yesterday night I listened to the W1000X for 2 hours as well and I found neither the sound nor comfort to be more fatiguing than with the 650s (and for reference I think the HD 650s are one of the most relaxed-sounding and -feeling headphones I've used).
Quote:

The JMoney pads are very, very deep -- over 2x as deep as the stock pads by my estimates -- and significantly more plush. I have relatively large ears and they fit inside completely with no discomfort.

I put up a want-to-buy listing in the classified section and got someone to sell me their J$ pads in the same day.

I'd look for the Beyer pads as the Denon ones are oval and angled and might not fit as perfectly, and will probably change the sound more. The Beyer pads don't have a cloth screen to go over the driver assembly though (i.e. the cloth in the hole of the donut shape), although the ones I bought had some nylon glued in them to fulfill the purpose.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #890 of 1,994
I like mine with the L:3000 pads, it did tighten up the sound stage for me, so much so that listening with my clear top tube as possible again! As the mids where no longer over romantic with the tubes AND stock pads

but I wouldn't mind trying the J money pads either! 

Apr 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #891 of 1,994
I just got mine today and I can only compare then to Beats Studio. Of course, the base is weaker in 1000x, but is more clear, and the headphones in general have much more clarity and depth to it than the Beats Pro. I know I am comparing them to perhaps the most loathed headphones but it's all I can compare to. 

They look beautiful and I appreciate what it's capable of. These are my second pair of headphones ever and I am more than glad I have done away with Beats. Also, these are incredibly comfortable, and I feel like I don't have anything on my head in comparison to the Beats. But as with most people, I don't like the stock pads and ordered L3000 pads. 

btw, can anybody recommend a carrying case for these phones? I need to travel oversees a few times a year and would love to carry these to where I go.

* I don't have an amp nor a DAC yet. Will get them a few months later and will see how the sound changes!

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #892 of 1,994
Quote:
I just got mine today and I can only compare then to Beats Studio. Of course, the base is weaker in 1000x, but is more clear, and the headphones in general have much more clarity and depth to it than the Beats Pro. I know I am comparing them to perhaps the most loathed headphones but it's all I can compare to. 

They look beautiful and I appreciate what it's capable of. These are my second pair of headphones ever and I am more than glad I have done away with Beats. Also, these are incredibly comfortable, and I feel like I don't have anything on my head in comparison to the Beats. But as with most people, I don't like the stock pads and ordered L3000 pads. 

btw, can anybody recommend a carrying case for these phones? I need to travel oversees a few times a year and would love to carry these to where I go.

* I don't have an amp nor a DAC yet. Will get them a few months later and will see how the sound changes!

Maybe a Pelican case where you can modify the foam to fit the headphones.  I wish these headphones came with the fancy case that the W5000's came with.  

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #893 of 1,994
Quote:

You will be very happy when you amp them, they are fine un-amped but scale well with amping.

As for a case, good deal here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headphone-Case-For-Audio-Technica-A2000X-ATH-A1000X-/251253038686?pt=US_Rack_Cases_Hard_Cases_Bags&hash=item3a7fd91e5e

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #894 of 1,994
Apr 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #895 of 1,994
But it's $30.. didn't you spend ~$100 on L3000 pads?
wink_face.gif

I did some brief testing between the stock pads and J-Money Beyerdynamic pads on http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php.

The 10-200Hz Frequency Response and Dynamic Range tests improve greatly with the latter. I get good audible response starting from as low as 20Hz with the J$ pads! The isolation is also superior.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #896 of 1,994
Quote:
But it's $30.. didn't you spend ~$100 on L3000 pads?
wink_face.gif

I did some brief testing between the stock pads and J-Money Beyerdynamic pads on http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php.

The 10-200Hz Frequency Response and Dynamic Range tests improve greatly with the latter. I get good audible response starting from as low as 20Hz with the J$ pads! The isolation is also superior.

yea that was a month ago when I wasn't broke lol

But I might try J$ ,pads... can u test the L3000 pads? 

also very cool web l;ink, byer dt 880 started at around 20hrz

in addition as I suspected around -40 db isolation, not to good but not to terrible

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #897 of 1,994
Quote:
yea that was a month ago when I wasn't broke lol

But I might try J$ ,pads... can u test the L3000 pads? 

also very cool web l;ink, byer dt 880 started at around 20hrz

in addition as I suspected around -40 db isolation, not to good but not to terrible

I would, but I don't have them as I didn't want to pony up the $100.
redface.gif

How deep/thick are the L3000 pads? I have a feeling the results of different pads with the tests will be affected by that.

From my pictures here and my own observations (will have to double check when I get home), I'd guess the J$ pads are 2.5-3x as deep as the stock pads. Great seal.

I will say that, subjectively, with the stock pads I felt the W1000X offered me a level of listening enjoyment close to my HD 650 and HF-2, but slightly below either. With the J$ the my listening experience is about as enjoyable as with my JH13s or desktop stereo system (Strada + SVS sub, ~$2700), although I guess it wouldn't perform as well. The sound signature I'm hearing is just glorious, the bass is to die for.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #898 of 1,994
Quote:
I would, but I don't have them as I didn't want to pony up the $100.
redface.gif

How deep/thick are the L3000 pads? I have a feeling the results of different pads with the tests will be affected by that.

From my pictures here and my own observations (will have to double check when I get home), I'd guess the J$ pads are 2.5-3x as deep as the stock pads. Great seal.

I will say that, subjectively, with the stock pads I felt the W1000X offered me a level of listening enjoyment close to my HD 650 and HF-2, but slightly below either. With the J$ the my listening experience is about as enjoyable as with my JH13s or desktop stereo system (Strada + SVS sub, ~$2700), although I guess it wouldn't perform as well. The sound signature I'm hearing is just glorious, the bass is to die for.

The L3000 are only about 1.5x deeper they are a little wider though, and yea I love them the L3000 pads toned DOWN the mids belive it or not [they toned everything dwn] the can got a little brighter as well, which I like when I use it with my Hybrid Tube. So the 3000 pads to me where worth it, still want to try the J$ though

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #899 of 1,994
May 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #900 of 1,994
Quote:
The L3000 are only about 1.5x deeper they are a little wider though, and yea I love them the L3000 pads toned DOWN the mids belive it or not [they toned everything dwn] the can got a little brighter as well, which I like when I use it with my Hybrid Tube. So the 3000 pads to me where worth it, still want to try the J$ though

I just got my W1000X with the L3000 ear pads, and this pretty much sums it up. The pads toned everything down and boosted treble slightly.

To my ears, that's just way too much treble, so I immediately switched to stock pads.

I'm a (self-admitted) midrange head, so the stock pads sound better to me. Now I'm wondering how the J$ pads do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back