ATH-W1000X Thread!
Mar 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #826 of 1,994
so I had the gain way to high and the volume well to low, there is anice full sound with the ss on the w1000x when i keep the gain low, as the additional noise with higher gains RUINS everything

I could agree with this - they're quite sensitive, and super-duper high gain is not a "good" thing IME.

Hey everyone, I stumbled onto these headphones today and I was wondering if anyone has ever compared them to the HifiMan HE-400s for electronic music? I'm reading that these are superb but some things concern me. 

First, some are comparing these to Grados and I owned a pair of SR60is and I really did not like the sound at all. They were harsh and lacked a lot in terms of depth and layering. So how do these differ? Are they completely different? Or are they the same as most Grados? 

Secondly, how do these stack up to headphones like the LCD-2s and HD650s and HD800s?

No idea about the HE-400 (the weight of modern planar magnetics turns me off entirely), but I can certainly answer #1 and take a stab at #2:

1. I can understand the comparison to Grados, but they aren't the same thing by a mile. Firstly, remember that nothing but a Grado will sound like a Grado. Second, and more to the question, the W1000X are smoother and airier, and have a wider overall presentation. They're similar-ish in terms of having somewhat touched up treble and bass, but that's about where the similarities end - both are bright, but the treble on the Grados (and this is all based on the RS-1 btw), is more forward and punchier, while the W1000X is much smoother and somewhat less forceful. The mids on the W1000X are more forward and have more coloration to them, and the bass is probably heavier overall (they are closed, after all). So if you dislike a bright presentation for any reason, the W1000X may not suit, but if you don't mind bright, they'll probably give you what you want - more more "relaxed" than the Grado presentation.

2. Again, no idea on the planar-magnetics, nor the HD 800, but I lived with the HD 580 for ~5 years, and have a number of other fancy-pants models; the short version is that I think the W1000X hold their own. They aren't the final word in anything, but as a total package they're very well rounded, and very competent headphones. Of course personal preference is still a big deal (you can't evaluate things in a "1 to 10" manner, at least not accurately), and you may or may not like their presentation as much as another headphone, but they aren't doing anything naughty when stood up against similarly priced or positioned models.

As far as W1000X + electronic music, it really depends on what kind of electronic music. If you mean the broader genre, including things like trance, house, ambient, glitch, and that sort of thing - the W1000X will do just fine. If you mean modern boom-boom-boom-step, they probably aren't going to satisfy the "bass bass bass" demands (as mshenay pointed out). It's a very broad genre, with a very wide range of sounds. To give some examples of performers (all IMO/IME of course):

The W1000X will do very good with performers like:
Moby
Daft Punk
FSoL
AFX
Juno Reactor

The W1000X will not do as well as other options with performers like:
Nero
Skrillex
Flux Pavillion
Zombie Nation
Komprex

If you want a bassier headphone, I'd look at something like the Ultrasone PRO900 or PRO2900, or perhaps the Kenwood KH-K1000 (which are similarly smooth, but have better low-end performance and less coloration through the mids). This isn't to say the W1000X cannot handle boom-boom music, but I'll agree with Mshenay again that they're better suited to music that favors a rich, smooth sound - *some* electronic music fits into this, some does not.

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #827 of 1,994
+1 for hifiman he 400
The w1000x are good headphones but for my taste are too hot and sibilant at time
The he 400's are just perfect for electronica and almost every music I listen, the only flaw is that they leak sound (opened) what w1000x doesn't (closed)

I prefer hifiman by a large margin

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #828 of 1,994
Both ath w1000x and hifiman have good low ends, but he 400's hit harder and orthodynamic bass sound so gooood :wink:

Mar 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #829 of 1,994
Quote:
Both ath w1000x and hifiman have good low ends, but he 400's hit harder and orthodynamic bass sound so gooood
wink.gif

indeed, and I wish I could have heard the mad dog through a solid state, as it had pretty laid back bass, in fact the bass was a little LESS forceful then the w1000x, and that odc was on a tube so it's most likely the tube softening it up

Non the less, I hope the L3000 pads <.< tighten things up... I can't afford more pads and sadly I just some coaxil cables, and wow DAMN these cables brought out the mids extra mids and a few extra details, ALTHOUGH considering the L3000 pads are bigger, the additional room from my ear to the driver should keep the mids from getting TO crazy. But them mids r nice now e.e  and all from switching from rca to coaxil...  but i hear the L3000 pads make the mids more punchy,,, to maybe more punch means less lushness. because they are almost to lush and these mids need some punch, although I'm not sure about teh return policy for AudioCubes but if they do take returns I could invest into the J-Money Pads, still other users have had the L3000 so I think they will do more good than pad

still >.> cables did a wonder on these, which reminds me it's about $140 [through Zer0 that head fi[r who does cables]  to get these recabled. and I will definatly recable them as stock cable is ugly, and a further tighting of the sound stage would again be nice! 

Damn those cables even made the dt 880 warmer, man on 10db gain the 880s sound like magic through the Matrix M Stage [with L4990 Op Amp] 10 sounds a little nicer than 18, 18 gain brings in some nice warmth but too much noise on 18db gain sadly/ Still I bet these could easily drive 600 ohm cans! Which is nice to know... as the dt 880 600 ohm is next on my list q.q and best of all I have a nice solid state that can drive it! 

Which means I might be ready to sell the "thick" tube I use! A shame I got it in the first place as I doubt it will sell... although I can let it go ULTRA cheap 

listening to my hybrid tube and it's almost the same... more detail and better highs on the Matrix and better mids and bass on the Tube Hybrid, which really means I need to get a big boi tube amp as the little on is kinda pointless [which is wasn't when it was all I had] 

so yea for now the little hybrid tube is sufficent! it's got the mids the dt 880 needs, I might upgrade to a better hybrid tube b4 I go FULL size 

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #831 of 1,994
Quote:
-snip-

As far as W1000X + electronic music, it really depends on what kind of electronic music. If you mean the broader genre, including things like trance, house, ambient, glitch, and that sort of thing - the W1000X will do just fine. If you mean modern boom-boom-boom-step, they probably aren't going to satisfy the "bass bass bass" demands (as mshenay pointed out). It's a very broad genre, with a very wide range of sounds. To give some examples of performers (all IMO/IME of course):

The W1000X will do very good with performers like:
Moby
Daft Punk
FSoL
AFX
Juno Reactor

The W1000X will not do as well as other options with performers like:
Nero
Skrillex
Flux Pavillion
Zombie Nation
Komprex

If you want a bassier headphone, I'd look at something like the Ultrasone PRO900 or PRO2900, or perhaps the Kenwood KH-K1000 (which are similarly smooth, but have better low-end performance and less coloration through the mids). This isn't to say the W1000X cannot handle boom-boom music, but I'll agree with Mshenay again that they're better suited to music that favors a rich, smooth sound - *some* electronic music fits into this, some does not.

Could you define "Just fine" for me here? I don't particularly want a BASSY headphone since I like things to be balanced out in my music and I am not a basshead. I own a pair of MDR-v6s and people say that's bass anemic but I thought they were good, just lacking in bass depth and detail in my opinion.

And I forgot to mention I'm talking about Trance specifically. The old Trance like stuff from Bonzai Recordings, OceanLab, M.I.K.E., Markus Schulz and BT.

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #832 of 1,994
Quote:
Hey everyone, I stumbled onto these headphones today and I was wondering if anyone has ever compared them to the HifiMan HE-400s for electronic music? I'm reading that these are superb but some things concern me. 

First, some are comparing these to Grados and I owned a pair of SR60is and I really did not like the sound at all. They were harsh and lacked a lot in terms of depth and layering. So how do these differ? Are they completely different? Or are they the same as most Grados? 

Secondly, how do these stack up to headphones like the LCD-2s and HD650s and HD800s?

A little late to the party here, but I own all of the mentioned minus the HD800.

I think as far as vocals the W1000x beats the 650 and the LCD-2. The bass is by no means "shy" but does not stack up to the LCD-2 in the bass department.  They are a bit hot in treble but not harsh like the Pro 900s or the DT990's, just in your face a bit in the treble department, while still retaining wonderful mids. The thing I like the most about the W1000x is it's ability to flawless reproduce vocals (female especially). I would not say these sound Grado-like except for the fact that they are a bit "in your face". The sound-stage on these is also very realistic for a closed can.

If i had to label them, I would say the have the same DNA as a 650 and a D7k.

As I am sure you can tell, I really like these......

Mar 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #833 of 1,994
My brother owns the w1000x, and I own the HE400s. The w1000x definitely have more forward mids and sound brighter. I prefer the HE400 for electronic because the bass is just unreal. However, the w1000x do not have bad bass by any means. I don't remember the HD 650 sounding like the w1000x, but I've never A/B'ed them side-by-side.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #834 of 1,994
Could you define "Just fine" for me here?

That depends on the definition of the word "is" :wink: :p

I don't particularly want a BASSY headphone since I like things to be balanced out in my music and I am not a basshead. I own a pair of MDR-v6s and people say that's bass anemic but I thought they were good, just lacking in bass depth and detail in my opinion.

And I forgot to mention I'm talking about Trance specifically. The old Trance like stuff from Bonzai Recordings, OceanLab, M.I.K.E., Markus Schulz and BT.

They'll likely seem bassier than what you're expecting (they are v-curved, after all), and do the music you want very very well. I enjoy BT with them fairly regularly. I'd give'em the nod here. I would basically say that bass is not the only component of electronic music (unless its boom-boom step), and that the better headphones for the genre will be able to reproduce the bass, but not to the exclusion of everything else - the W1000X certainly fit into that category.

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #835 of 1,994
Quote:
That depends on the definition of the word "is"
wink.gif
tongue.gif

They'll likely seem bassier than what you're expecting (they are v-curved, after all), and do the music you want very very well. I enjoy BT with them fairly regularly. I'd give'em the nod here. I would basically say that bass is not the only component of electronic music (unless its boom-boom step), and that the better headphones for the genre will be able to reproduce the bass, but not to the exclusion of everything else - the W1000X certainly fit into that category.

That is true, but the MOST important question to ask is, do you like open bass or closed bass? I HATE closed Can bass PERIOD, the w1000x has GREAT bass but it's a closed bass can so it doesn't mesh well with me

so agian, if you enjoy the sound of closed can [bass wise] yea they are really wonderufl, but again I hate closed can bass it sounds to meaty, open cans have more punch and less resonace by nature since they are open air.

Again that being said, for a closed can the bass is nice <3 [the lcd is also open] 

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #836 of 1,994
Quote:

I have and I dont like the Hifiman at all.
I share a bit your opinion on grados. You wont be disappointed by the W1000X. LCD-2 and higher offering from Audez'e gives a different presentation, you need to audition by yourself. Senns (the two models you cited) are good but really lack bass.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #837 of 1,994
got my L3000 Lambskins in, it sucked the mids out a little and tightened the ENTIRE sound stage, which means I'm moving back to the first tube I put it through! Ironically though, I really like my dt 880 through my solid state, the mids have real PUNCH but are still smooth, where as with the new pads on my w100x, the bass is a lot tighter, the highs are well brighter yet and the mids have more punch, 

I think the biggest issue is the fit, the more I wear em the better the new pads will fit. As my w1000x took about 3 days to stabilize, and comparing my Matrix M to my Indeed G3, dang it this solid state is doing a mighty fine job with these mids, and that may be a power issue, the gain on my indeed is way to high for these cans. 

Oh wow, in a matter of 30 minuete's with the new pads the mids have essitnally SHOT forward, that's rather bizzarre. Well Sadly the new pads are more comfy but are also warmer, dang you lambskin leather WHY YOU SO WARM, which is bad because my room is always so ungoldy hot... anyways it's time to clean my room again. That floor needs a mopping! 

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #839 of 1,994
Quote:
The leather will take some time to break in (once it does, it should be soft and pliable), as you've noticed, and it should breathe better than the synthetic that the W1000X come with (will still probably suck in extreme heat, lol).

yea it does, the fit is a little different, I had to further warp the head bend in a little [I got a hair cut as well which made the seal around my ears better] so new pads and a tighter fit, and the mids are just right! Warm with full body and punch but not to much resonance 

awwww yea, that head bands got some CLAMP to it now, i can pull it from away from my ears and it will SNAP back

I also notced around 240 hrz is a wave that has some nice weight to it

I'm still having an issue though... I'm listening to Linda Perhacs Call of the RIver [16bit CD flac rip]

And my dt 880s give her voice more body and weight, her voice is a little quicker to, but it sounds almost nasaly... and mind you the dt 880s are semi open... what's that nasaly sound... the w1000x don't give her body as much voice but they also don't have that nasaly quality well it's RESOANCE, which I'm missing from the CLOSED cans [what] 

Hmm ok well I just put the w1000x back on and I can feel the push of her voice a little more, it sounds clear and light with a touch of warmth and body, where as the dt 880's give her voice a lot more power and speed, I think it might be not mids but rather the lower bass notes in her voice, around 600 400hrz the dt 880s are a little thin, buit 200 300 ish they have some thickness 

Yea the 880s are not as forward with thier mids, but the mids are really thick almost a little veiled [which might be because I increase the volume to get more of them mids lol, seeing as how bright the 880s are]

either way both cans sound good

I enjoy them both equally, and sadly the dt 880 still sucks with rock lol, they are well too blanced for rock lol, the high hats are way to forward and the sweet mids of guitars riffs fade behind the bass and high hats where as the w1000x with the emphasized mids have everything right where it should be! 

Classical and Classical Jazz are in the middle with both cans, as both cans handle everything pretty well! 

Sadly I'm really diggin this solid state >.> 

meh I like the sound of my Hybrid Indeed better, except the increased noise... I never noticed the noise till I switched to the solid state [which has a better gain matching] 

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #840 of 1,994
Hello, I just bought this headphone from Buydig website for 399 US. The headphone is built in a good quality also the sound is good, I think it should not be a fake.
Anyway I want to make sure this item is not a fake. How can I find the serial number for this item? I can not find it from the box.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back