ATH-W1000X Thread!
Apr 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #346 of 1,994
@cky8
The Grandioso is indeed very nice.  It's easy to drive and I think it is a little more forgiving than the K701.  Since I haven't return home yet I can't do A/B testing yet but I think there is one area which I would still keep the K701 for - live concert recordings.  I ran through a few concert clips with the Grandioso but I think the airy-ness of the K701 does a better job here. 

@kr0gg
I'm sure there are better deals, but 1) I don't live in the states, which is where all the amazing deal happens - I live in Australia, which is where we get raped for prices even our dollar is now worth more than the USD (I know buying local in Australia would cost me more than USD$700, even buying from Japan plus shipping wouldn't be any cheaper) 2) international shipping (DHL and what not) would've jacked up the price anyway.  In effect I probably saved more than AUD$100 even if I were to buy in Australia via the internet, so I'm quite happy with the deal.  

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #347 of 1,994
@nanaholic
To me the K701 was indeed much airier which can complement certain aspects of music. But generally I do feel the K701 airyness is a bit too much. Each to his own of course :p

Give the Grandioso a bit more time before deciding. You'll be surprised how much the Grandioso matures :D
Yeah same case for me. Nowhere you'll find Audio Technica here. PriceJapan saved me.

How much improvement does your Burson HA160 amp gives compared to standard out from your soundcard?

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #348 of 1,994

Quote:
@nanaholic
To me the K701 was indeed much airier which can complement certain aspects of music. But generally I do feel the K701 airyness is a bit too much. Each to his own of course
tongue.gif

Give the Grandioso a bit more time before deciding. You'll be surprised how much the Grandioso matures
biggrin.gif

Yeah same case for me. Nowhere you'll find Audio Technica here. PriceJapan saved me.

How much improvement does your Burson HA160 amp gives compared to standard out from your soundcard?

Which is why I think the K701 is still better for live concert recordings where the air it adds to the music creates an better illusion of being in the audience, rather than next to the performer which the Grandioso seems to be giving me at the moment.  But then my opinion might change once I return to Australia and have access to my full desktop rig.

I already enjoy the Grandioso quite a bit, but I can't see myself letting go of the K701 just yet (probably not until I upgrade to a pair of HD800 lol).  As head-fiers I think it's natural for us to own multiple headphones and pick and choose depending on our music and moods anyway. 
tongue.gif

As for the Burson compared with the Essence ST - the improvement is quite significant.  As the Burson is fairly neutral thus it won't alter the general sound signature of the K701 eg it won't magically give the K701 thumping bass, it just tightens the sound reproduction of the can, making it feel more controlled and refined, especially in the treble area where some siblance can occur when using just the headphone amp of the ST.  I guess in brief the Burson lets the K701 sound exactly how it was intended to sound, which is probably where a lot of the sources had trouble with thus giving the K701 the "hard to drive" reputation.  I'm hoping the Burson would work its magic on the Grandioso as well.

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #349 of 1,994
Apr 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #350 of 1,994
Headphones.com has em at a fair price. http://www.headphones.com/Headphones/Audio-Technica-ATH-W1000X-AUDIOPHILE-CLOSED-BACK-DYNAMIC-WOODEN-OVER-EAR-HEADPHONES-ATH-W1000x-67037.html 

It seems Head-fier, DavidMahler, just started working here
Quote:
I'd buy them but am affraid of their reseller rating...
Quote:

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #351 of 1,994

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately they don't accept CC, and I don't trust bank transfers
Quote:
Headphones.com has em at a fair price. http://www.headphones.com/Headphones/Audio-Technica-ATH-W1000X-AUDIOPHILE-CLOSED-BACK-DYNAMIC-WOODEN-OVER-EAR-HEADPHONES-ATH-W1000x-67037.html 

It seems Head-fier, DavidMahler, just started working here

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #352 of 1,994
That's... INCREDIBLY unusual. I've noticed this site in the past but never saw that they had such odd policies. Anyone know what's up with them?

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately they don't accept CC, and I don't trust bank transfers

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #353 of 1,994
i guess that is because paypal gives more protection? :)

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #354 of 1,994
Ugh to PayPal. I like them for transactions between users, but that's about it. They do SUCH strange things.

Example: 
I sell a set of books on eBay. Buyer pays for them instantly, no problem. Cash sitting in my PayPal.

On the way to the post office, I drop said books in a darned puddle. Books ruined. 

I can't send said books, so I send a refund to the buyer.

PayPal, in their infinite wisdom, and giving me no alternative choice, pulls the refund out of my checking account. Didn't even give me a warning! I've got the cash sitting RIGHT THERE in my PayPal account. It's not like I'm hard up for cash, but... I have to wait 3-4 days for the money in my PayPal to get to my checking! What's the point, PayPal?

/rant.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #356 of 1,994
yeah. i agree.
there are too many situations where everything relies purely on their decisions. and its often difficult to predict them.

May 1, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #359 of 1,994
Are these more comfortable than W5000?
I tried the W1000x for a few minutes at a meet, but can't quite recall.
I had problems with W5000 wings pushing into my head uncomfortably.
I'm wondering whether the thicker pads would compensate for that on W1000x (I had barely any seal on W5000 so a lot of the weight rested on the wings)...

May 1, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #360 of 1,994
I feel, all the AD series( 700, 900), W1000 and W5000 are pretty comfy. They seem to share the same design for the headband wings. There's an Audio Technic shop in Pitt St mall, Lower underground level.

Quote:
Are these more comfortable than W5000?
I tried the W1000x for a few minutes at a meet, but can't quite recall.
I had problems with W5000 wings pushing into my head uncomfortably.
I'm wondering whether the thicker pads would compensate for that on W1000x (I had barely any seal on W5000 so a lot of the weight rested on the wings)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back