ATH-W1000X Thread!
Apr 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #301 of 1,994
Quote:
@Katun
You're one of the very few to do reviews on Audio Technica headphones which I truly appreciate. They are often overlooked here imho. I still own the A900 but I'll promise you the Grandioso is clearly better in all area's if you'd compare it to the AT headphones you have owned. It'd be an interesting journey since you haven't audioned one of Audio Technica's W-series headphones. They are the prestige line within AT.

Why, thank you. I've been planning on getting it for the past few weeks, but the HE-4 + EF5 combo caught my attention. Now I just have to decide which one to get. But thinking about how much I've loved AT headphones in the past, I'm tempted to get the W1000X. I've think I've already decided against the W5000 due to it's super dipped bass, and also the higher price. So the W1000X would probably be the last full size AT I would buy (I'm sure many consider it as the flagship). But I don't know, I'll have to decide on one of the other at some point.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #302 of 1,994
I can't imagine you disliking them, given your history with AT phones. It took me a while to acclimate to the ATH sound, but now I find myself preferring it to nearly everything else out there; I've even purchased an ESW9 today because I wanted to have a version of the sound signature to listen to while at work. I've heard a number of headphones in which wood construction is an afterthought, but the texture and tone in ATH's suggests a really fantastic connection to the materials that you ought to explore. 

The W1000X is an excellent distillation of many great ATH headphones; the warmth and fun of the early woodies, the bass reach and punch of the L3000, the air and separation of the AD2000, and the superior fit and finish of the W5000. It is easy to drive, sounds good out of nearly anything, and fits my head excellently. 

Quote:
I've actually been right on the edge of ordering these as well.

I wonder if I'll ever get pushed over? And if I do, by what?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #303 of 1,994
I certainly consider it a flagship of their currently available offerings. The only things I'd improve would be the packaging (it's a crappy cardboard carton with plastic windows, like the old W100 ones) and the earpads ought to be leather for the price. Easily remedied though, Audiocubes 2 sells L3000 and W5000 pads.

Quote:

Why, thank you. I've been planning on getting it for the past few weeks, but the HE-4 + EF5 combo caught my attention. Now I just have to decide which one to get. But thinking about how much I've loved AT headphones in the past, I'm tempted to get the W1000X. I've think I've already decided against the W5000 due to it's super dipped bass, and also the higher price. So the W1000X would probably be the last full size AT I would buy (I'm sure many consider it as the flagship). But I don't know, I'll have to decide on one of the other at some point.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #304 of 1,994
Quote:
I can't imagine you disliking them, given your history with AT phones. It took me a while to acclimate to the ATH sound, but now I find myself preferring it to nearly everything else out there; I've even purchased an ESW9 today because I wanted to have a version of the sound signature to listen to while at work. I've heard a number of headphones in which wood construction is an afterthought, but the texture and tone in ATH's suggests a really fantastic connection to the materials that you ought to explore. 

The W1000X is an excellent distillation of many great ATH headphones; the warmth and fun of the early woodies, the bass reach and punch of the L3000, the air and separation of the AD2000, and the superior fit and finish of the W5000. It is easy to drive, sounds good out of nearly anything, and fits my head excellently.

Hmm, very intriguing. Thanks for the input.

Many have fit problems with the W series, but I don't think that will be the case for me, because the AD700 and AD900 fit me fantastically. The wood, I will admit, looks fantastic! I'm really curious about the bass, because I've heard all sorts of good things about it. But I simply cannot imagine a headphone with deep, punchy bass AND air and separation. Take the AD900, add a bit more warmth, more bass, and refine it a bit, and that's somewhere around my dream headphone. Closed is always a plus for me due to the bonus isolation (no matter how little), and also mainly due to minimizing sound leakage. But I've always had to sacrifice soundstage when I went the closed route in the past, hence the death of my Pro 900.

But these look super intriguing. I think your description in the second paragraph is perfect. I may just get these...

(I would probably have to be in the search for a new amp as well. I'm guessing tubes work better than solid sate?)

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #305 of 1,994
I've got a lively thread going on their amplification in the Amps forum. I'm considering a couple of different things, but they definitely seem to take to higher-end tube systems as being so low impedance they can pick up hiss in cheaper tubey-setups. I REALLY like the way they sound of the cheap little uDac-2 I'm using right now at home, honestly, and I may just hold off on getting anything more serious until I can scrounge up enough for an HA-02. I'd classify them as a warm headphone, though only just. Once they burn in and you acclimate, they're surprisingly well balanced... the almost bloated midrange bump they had at first is gone for me. Sounds pretty even up and down the spectrum. 

Frankly, you could just get the uDAC-2 and be fine. They sincerely don't require an awful lot to show their pleasant character. I use them frequently directly out of my iPad in bed and find them perfectly acceptable.

Quote:

Hmm, very intriguing. Thanks for the input.

Many have fit problems with the W series, but I don't think that will be the case for me, because the AD700 and AD900 fit me fantastically. The wood, I will admit, looks fantastic! I'm really curious about the bass, because I've heard all sorts of good things about it. But I simply cannot imagine a headphone with deep, punchy bass AND air and separation. Take the AD900, add a bit more warmth, more bass, and refine it a bit, and that's somewhere around my dream headphone. Closed is always a plus for me due to isolation being a plus, but mainly due to minimizing leak. But I've always had to sacrifice soundstage when I went the closed route in the past, hence the death of my Pro 900.

But these look super intriguing. I think your description in the second paragraph is perfect. I may just get these...

(I would probably have to be in the search for a new amp as well. I'm guessing tubes work better than solid sate?)

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #306 of 1,994
Hmm, I'll definitely look into that thing.

I actually just use all my headphones out of my P650's BurrBrown 1791ADBR DAC, into my MKIII. I'm not sure the weak link in that configuration, but I would be more than willing to upgrade if the W1000X needs more. But like you mentioned, maybe I don't need too much. For now, I'll be sticking with this, unless upgrading to another amp would prove effective.

Well, warm sound is not something on my priority list, but can be preferred during certain music. I'm pretty forgiving and adaptable when it comes to a headphone's sound, so I definitely think I'll like the W1000X. Plus, it seems to hold pretty good resemblance to other AT's, so instantly I think it will be a winner. But we'll see, I still have to decide to order it first.
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #307 of 1,994
Order from either JR.com or Adorama.com. Both are official AT dealers, so you'll get the warranty and be able to return them if you don't like them. 

JR was happy to match Adorama's $579 price for me, as well, even though Adorama's out of stock. My understanding from speaking to both stores (and AT USA) is that these headphones are shipped directly from Japan in very small quantities... the stores generally only get 2-3 per shipment every few months. 

I'd still like them for $700, but at $579 they're fantastic. 

Quote:
Hmm, I'll definitely look into that thing.

I actually just use all my headphones out of my P650's BurrBrown 1791ADBR DAC, into my MKIII. I'm not sure the weak link in that configuration, but I would be more than willing to upgrade if the W1000X needs more. But like you mentioned, maybe I don't need too much. For now, I'll be sticking with this, unless upgrading to another amp would prove effective.

Well, warm sound is not something on my priority list, but can be preferred during certain music. I'm pretty forgiving and adaptable when it comes to a headphone's sound, so I definitely think I'll like the W1000X. Plus, it seems to hold pretty good resemblance to other AT's, so instantly I think it will be a winner. But we'll see, I still have to decide to order it first.
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #309 of 1,994
That's odd, is their site down right now? I keep getting an error trying to connect to it.

Quote:
You can also get them for $515 at electronics-expo if you use the TECHBARGAINS coupon code. I'm not sure what the shipping is though, or if they are an authorized dealer.

-Daniel

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #313 of 1,994
Bought a pair of AD2000s, but still on the lookout for a decent deal on these.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #314 of 1,994
Nice! Great headphones. It's a shame they're so expensive and so tough to come by these days. Where'd you get them? New, or used?

Quote:
Bought a pair of AD2000s, but still on the lookout for a decent deal on these.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #315 of 1,994
Used from the FS thread. Overall I think it's the most cost-effective way to acquire phones, especially those that I can't really test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back