ATH-W1000X Thread!
Mar 5, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #271 of 1,994
Well then. The Grandioso should be a good candidate based on what you just said here! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #272 of 1,994
I got to spend a while with these in J&R in Manhattan today. Took a bit of convincing to get them to let me try em out... apparently they only got two pairs and neither of them have sold. Perhaps they should match prices with other folk? Oh well.

They're excellent. Really nice sounding, with much better construction than other ATH woodies I've tried (I think I've tried them all at once point or another).

As opposed to the W5000 that I didn't like, there was nothing nasal or pitchy about these guys, and I'm relatively sure I'm the first person to listen to that particular pair. Definitely a mid-lower emphasis, but the imaging was fantastic and they had a sparkling upper register. 

I think I might have to get a pair next month...

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #273 of 1,994

Quote:
I got to spend a while with these in J&R in Manhattan today. Took a bit of convincing to get them to let me try em out... apparently they only got two pairs and neither of them have sold. Perhaps they should match prices with other folk? Oh well.

They're excellent. Really nice sounding, with much better construction than other ATH woodies I've tried (I think I've tried them all at once point or another).

As opposed to the W5000 that I didn't like, there was nothing nasal or pitchy about these guys, and I'm relatively sure I'm the first person to listen to that particular pair. Definitely a mid-lower emphasis, but the imaging was fantastic and they had a sparkling upper register. 

I think I might have to get a pair next month...

they have at least three because i returned mine and they got it back

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #274 of 1,994
You didn't pay their full price, did you? 

Quote:

they have at least three because i returned mine and they got it back

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #276 of 1,994
I'm open to acquire a pair, assuming the price is attractive.

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #279 of 1,994

Were these a FOTM? They're bought and sold at near GS1000 rates.
Quote:
I'm going to put my mint set up for sale too. lol. Just need to take pics. They don't get the head time they deserve.

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #282 of 1,994
Quote:
Were these a FOTM? They're bought and sold at near GS1000 rates.

I don't think so. They actually weren't that popular. They had to be shipped from Japan until recently so that would explain the higher price and the lower interest.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #283 of 1,994
FOTM = Flavor of the Month, piece of new equipment that is over hyped on here.

No I don't think they were ever FOTM, expensive, hard to get and only popular with those that already owned Audio Technical woodie can. I had the W1000 before I bough the W1000X. I wouldn't go back to the W1000's now.

Mar 11, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #284 of 1,994
I've actually only really ever liked the early woodies... W10VTG, the LTD, etc etc. The W1000 never appealed to me, and the W5000 sounded... I dunno, nasal. That one might have been related to the bad seal I got with them though.

The W1000x sounds, to me, a lot better than any ATH I've heard in a long time; and I've never been a tremendous fan of the brand.

Quote:
FOTM = Flavor of the Month, piece of new equipment that is over hyped on here.

No I don't think they were ever FOTM, expensive, hard to get and only popular with those that already owned Audio Technical woodie can. I had the W1000 before I bough the W1000X. I wouldn't go back to the W1000's now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back