ATH-W1000X Thread!
Feb 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #226 of 1,994

Quote:
I liked my W1000x a lot for classical... robust low end really gives character to symphonies and the unique very 3D soundstage is a treat.

How is the quality of the 1000x in the lower frequencies? I have the W1000 and W5000, and for what bass they produce, it is high quality--very tight. The 1000/5000 have their virtues and limitations, and for myself they are inadequate for classical.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #227 of 1,994
never heard the W5000 but from what I understand it is very similar to the SA5K.

No offense but the W1000X might not be your cup of tea because the W5K and SA5K are very rolled of the the bass which makes for that "stat like tight bass"

The W1000X would have a fair amount more and quite a musical "grado-esque" boost in the 100hz region but this is all from memory. They don't extend the lowest (in terms of being very audible), but still very good and would have markedly more bass than the W5k.

With the added bass the symphonies have power and character that would be otherwise missing and very much needed.

while they are not the same headphone I would agree that the SA5K is not the best for classical and the W5K most likely are not either.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #228 of 1,994
after spent some days with W1000X, I feel that this cans superb for represent piano, it's clear and sound relaxing. Though sounds weird when the acoustic guitar come, too thin for my taste.

for staging, its a bit lack of wide, but the depth is awesome.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #229 of 1,994

Quote:
after spent some days with W1000X, I feel that this cans superb for represent piano, it's clear and sound relaxing. Though sounds weird when the acoustic guitar come, too thin for my taste.

for staging, its a bit lack of wide, but the depth is awesome.

You forgot to mention that it's utterly hopeless for fast music. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #230 of 1,994
Got my Grandioso yesterday and I'm very pleased with it. My K701 and ATH-A900 will start collecting dust now. I might do a small review if I get the time for it. Right now I'll just have some more time with the Grandioso 
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #231 of 1,994
How are the W1000X with alternative rock and recent metal? I listen to a wide range of music from Loreena Mckennitt, Joshua Bell, Clannad to Rasputina and Apocalyptica to various Industrial/alternative rock and metal.

Joshua

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #233 of 1,994

Quote:
I find it to be more suited to classical and orchestral music than techno.  It doesn't have that hard hitting bass and treble that would make techno sound good.  

I would expect that, I'm much more critical of headphone performance for well recorded acoustic/instrumental music, I really want to hear that beautiful vibrancy and body as well as clarity and attack of the Violin and Cello. I don't really listen to techno, more Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Tool etc. The description of the sound reminds me of many peoples descriptions of Grado, I'm sure they are very different though but I don't recall a comparison.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #234 of 1,994

Quote:
I find it to be more suited to classical and orchestral music than techno.  It doesn't have that hard hitting bass and treble that would make techno sound good.  

I don't agree with this. Just spent a very pleasant evening with Incubus, White Lies and some Leftfield / Orb / Ministry of Sound compilation - it all sounded quite brilliant. Just my views though - we are all different i guess.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #237 of 1,994

Quote:

I just purchased a pair of these for mostly classical music. I was hoping they would perform well on that genre as I really want them for a closed nighttime can with will sound good on classical music. My pair is arriving today.  I do not expect them to be as good as my two planar but hoping they will fill my closed can void as I have no closed phones anymore.

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #238 of 1,994

Quote:
I just purchased a pair of these for mostly classical music. I was hoping they would perform well on that genre as I really want them for a closed nighttime can with will sound good on classical music. My pair is arriving today.  I do not expect them to be as good as my two planar but hoping they will fill my closed can void as I have no closed phones anymore.

hey, what you think about W1000x vs HD800 for classical?

I think W1000x is superb to reproduce piano sound, but HD800 is really "king" of technicalities, from staging, detail, layering, separation, etc.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #239 of 1,994

Quote:
hey, what you think about W1000x vs HD800 for classical?

I think W1000x is superb to reproduce piano sound, but HD800 is really "king" of technicalities, from staging, detail, layering, separation, etc.

I let you know when they get here. I sold the HD800 because they wer not my cup ot tea. I will be posting my impression on the Hd800 and their sound in comparison to all my planar and this one when it gets here and I have had time to evaluate my setup

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #240 of 1,994
I wonder how these do without an amp :D

I have a Samsung M1 as source, and I'm considering getting these only because I just need to pay a little more after my CK10s broke. Yes, I'm only using portable. Anyone know of a good portable budget amp to drive these?

Thanks,

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back