ATH-W1000X Thread!
Dec 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,936 of 1,994
Has anyone tried pairing these to modern DAPs nowadays such as iBasso dx50/dx90 or Fiio x3/x5? How does it perform? Does it benefit from amp (I have Cayin C5)m

They sound fantastic out of my Sony PHA-1
tup.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #1,937 of 1,994
I bought those on Black Friday at my local audio store.
I use Furutech 35G as adapter.
I am very happy with the SQ.
Especially sind I got my mojo going :)
I do have some issues with the comfort. They are too comfortable....
What I mean is that I would love to loose some comfort, for a tighter fit.
I have to say that I com from the ATH-M50.
I was thinking about to customize them.
What would you suggest to meat my demands.

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #1,938 of 1,994
Has anyone tried pairing these to modern DAPs nowadays such as iBasso dx50/dx90 or Fiio x3/x5? How does it perform? Does it benefit from amp (I have Cayin C5)m

ATH-W1000X sounds pretty good with my iBasso dx90. However, i prefer iBasso dx90  + Little Bear B3 portable tube headamp + ATH-W1000X. All sounds amazing! Soundstage is deep and airy, sound is very natural and clear!

51414dd90ed8.jpg
d08f1b74e70c.jpg
3a9d9e65865d.jpg

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #1,939 of 1,994
Would like to know how these sound over the ath-w5000s. Thanks!

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,940 of 1,994
I bought those for 305€ on Black Friday at my local audio store.
I use Furutech 35G as adapter.
I am very happy with the SQ.
Especially sind I got my mojo going :)
I do have some issues with the comfort. They are too comfortable....
What I mean is that I would love to loose some comfort, for a tighter fit.
I have to say that I com from the ATH-M50.
I was thinking about to customize them.
What would you suggest to meat my demands.

I don't think you'll ever get them as tight-fitting as the M50 (or other studio monitors), but I remember some people bending the headband inwards a bit to make them somewhat tighter/smaller fitting (I think its fairly similar to what you'd do to adjust a Grado's headband; I've never tried it myself though since I have a fairly large head, and they fit well out of the box).

Would like to know how these sound over the ath-w5000s. Thanks!

Such as?

1000X are bassier, narrower, warmer, less detailed, slower, and have more colored upper mids (some would call it "nasal" or "honky"). They a more "hi-fi" sound. W5000 are more spacious, brighter (especially in upper mids), faster, have less bass slam (but better extension), more detailed, and colder. They are a more "analytical" sound. Both are versatile headphones ime, but the W1000X do better with jazz, RnB, hip-hop, and similar genres, while the W5000 do better with trance, electronica, pop, and similar genres. Both are great for videogaming, and I'd take the 1000X for movies (as it has more bass) but both do well enough there (as they both have good soundstaging/presentation).

Overall they're both good headphones, and I wouldn't regard the W5000 as "higher end" to the W1000X, but instead as a different sound. Depending on your tastes one will probably end up being "better" or "worse" for your usage. Personally I like the W5000 better, because I like their lighter and faster presentation (and tend to listen to a lot of trance and pop), but I also enjoy the W1000X quite a bit with a variety of genres.

Non-sonically, the W5000 are physically larger, come with a hardcase for storage, and have real leather pads, while the W1000X only come with the headphones in a box, and use synthetic pads (they're not uncomfortable in the least, and if you don't want real leather on your cans, the 1000X would be the choice there). The W5000 also have a "natural" finish on the wood, and are much more fragile as a result, while the W1000X have a lacquer finish over the wood and are a bit more durable. For the price, the W1000X are probably an easy winner since they're usually less expensive (street price) than the W5000.

Any other Qs feel free and I'll try to respond. :)

Jan 26, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #1,941 of 1,994
I don't think you'll ever get them as tight-fitting as the M50 (or other studio monitors), but I remember some people bending the headband inwards a bit to make them somewhat tighter/smaller fitting (I think its fairly similar to what you'd do to adjust a Grado's headband; I've never tried it myself though since I have a fairly large head, and they fit well out of the box).
Such as?

1000X are bassier, narrower, warmer, less detailed, slower, and have more colored upper mids (some would call it "nasal" or "honky"). They a more "hi-fi" sound. W5000 are more spacious, brighter (especially in upper mids), faster, have less bass slam (but better extension), more detailed, and colder. They are a more "analytical" sound. Both are versatile headphones ime, but the W1000X do better with jazz, RnB, hip-hop, and similar genres, while the W5000 do better with trance, electronica, pop, and similar genres. Both are great for videogaming, and I'd take the 1000X for movies (as it has more bass) but both do well enough there (as they both have good soundstaging/presentation).

Thank you for the informative input, does the bright upper mids of the w5000 show any hints of harshness? Is its bass and treble quality better? From your description of the w5000 it could sound more like my a2000x but without the extended, clean trebles and tinny sound. I do remember a review from headfonia? which describes bringing a knife to a gunfight comparing w1000x to the w5000... Lol I hope the w1000x might sound otherwise.

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #1,942 of 1,994
I've owned both, years apart. The W5k has very sharp treble, even with AT's matched ss amp which I owned as well. The W1k is a completely different headphone; it may be a tad less resolving but it has much smoother treble, and the overall sound is much fuller with better bass extension and impact than the d5k has, again even when using it with their HA1k amp (only comes in 100v). It's also open vs. closed. I think the W1k is a keeper, while the W5k has a narrow appeal more like a previous generation's Ultrasone Edition 10.

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #1,943 of 1,994
Thank you for the informative input, does the bright upper mids of the w5000 show any hints of harshness? Is its bass and treble quality better? From your description of the w5000 it could sound more like my a2000x but without the extended, clean trebles and tinny sound. I do remember a review from headfonia? which describes bringing a knife to a gunfight comparing w1000x to the w5000... Lol I hope the w1000x might sound otherwise.

I would say no, no harshness, at least in my view. Very good tonal balance and all that. I've read Headfonia's review, and while I haven't heard W3000ANV, I would disagree with more or less throwing the W1000X under the bus. They *are* less detailed and slower than the W5000, but they're still of very good quality - they just have a very different presentation. For some people, in some situations, that may be "better" or "worse" but I don't think you can just throw them in a line and say one is absolutely better than the other. W1000X would certainly be my choice if you want/need a warmer, slower, bassier sound, and they do very well with a wide range of music and uses (of all of the cans I've owned, W1000X are probably among the finest all-round performers, especially for the price).

grokit: Both W5000 and W1000X are closed headphones. WRT your impressions on the sound, I'd have to respectfully disagree - I wouldn't regard the W5000 as "sharp" in the least, and they have better bass extension than the W1000X (the 1000X have a mid-bass hump and then roll off fairly quickly; the W5000 roll off more gently but will ultimately reach lower). Haven't heard a Fostex Denon in years, but if you'll accept the TH-900 an appropriate "stand in" the bass extension and impact is very much in the Fostex's favor. W1000X have good mid-bass and acceptable low-end reach, but they're not likely to satisfy a bass-head, and (imho) too slow for a lot of bass-driven music (like EDM). Much better with something acoustic, like jazz, imho.

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,944 of 1,994
I don't find the w5k's treble harsh either. Detailed, smooth. I found the treble of the W1k harsher.
The w5k however does colour the sound more. Makes things sound leaner, and is evident when switching to male voices (music or movies). Most of my listening is done with acoustic, or chamber music, and I either adjust pretty quickly, or I just enjoy that particular sound with those genres. I can imagine people being turned off by this effect with other musical genres - so I would side with the view of it having a narrower genre appeal...given owners' accounts, which musical genre that is of course depends on the person.

Back to the W1000X. I feel headfonia's 'knife to a gunfight' comment was a bit of a hyperbole. However, they were also comparing the W3000ANV which I haven't heard, and perhaps the W1000X just got pushed out.. I also enjoyed reading the review when I looking to purchase the w5k. When comparing the grandioso and the raffinato, I agree with the above sentiments: more different than better, and the w1k's sound having greater appeal to tastes.

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #1,945 of 1,994
I guess I'm going for the w1000X to compliment my analytical, brighter sounding ath-a2000x.
Should I be getting the w1000Z instead of X ?

Jan 31, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #1,946 of 1,994
I guess I'm going for the w1000X to compliment my analytical, brighter sounding ath-a2000x.
Should I be getting the w1000Z instead of X ?

I've never heard Z; Currawong has written a review of it somewhere on Head-fi though (I don't have the URL off-hand). From what I understand they are also a unique/different sound; it isn't just a "linear progression to god" kind of thing.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #1,948 of 1,994
Hey there,

I am still very happy with my 1000x. But since I am still getting started in this hobby I lust for even better SQ... this probably won't stop untill I buy Ether Cs, but by the time I can afford them, there will be Ether Electrostatics... So I guess the journey never ends.
Anyway, I am curious how more experienced Head-fi members value the 1000x against more recent Cans like the Fostex Purple Hearts or maybe even the Nighthawks or Beyerdynamic T1.
Would you say that the 1000x hold up nice against those mentioned Cans or are they substantially superior? If the step up with those cans isn't that huge I might stretch the budget to the Ether Cs.
I use Mojo for all of my listing so I think I am good to drive all of those cans.

Cheers

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #1,950 of 1,994
  I've owned both, years apart. The W5k has very sharp treble, even with AT's matched ss amp which I owned as well. The W1k is a completely different headphone; it may be a tad less resolving but it has much smoother treble, and the overall sound is much fuller with better bass extension and impact than the d5k has, again even when using it with their HA1k amp (only comes in 100v). It's also open vs. closed. I think the W1k is a keeper, while the W5k has a narrow appeal more like a previous generation's Ultrasone Edition 10.

redface.gif

Sorry I meant the ATH-AD1000x my bad wrong thread, I did have the W5k "Raffinato"; hope I got that one right!

I really like my AD1000x much better, especially for its price point; I didn't like the W5k so much
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back