ATH-W1000X Thread!
Aug 19, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,921 of 1,994
Hmmm, well then maybe I'm using the wrong term? I'm not sure if 'peeling' means something else here, but I mean the black pleather layer is flaking off in some spots around the earpad (mostly the lower half) and is revealing a gray cloth-like layer underneath it.

If that's what you were talking about, I suppose I was just unlucky, haha. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, since I tend not to be all that lucky. That, or it's just what happens after five years of light use.

I don't know if I want to use cloth pads, though, as some of them can be itchy, although my HD600's pads are simply too stiff. I think I will have to flip a coin on it or something; I keep going back and forth on trying this leather stuff, but recoiling at the expense (amusing, I know, since I shelled out $550 for these cans to begin with.)

Aug 20, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #1,922 of 1,994
Hmmm, well then maybe I'm using the wrong term? I'm not sure if 'peeling' means something else here, but I mean the black pleather layer is flaking off in some spots around the earpad (mostly the lower half) and is revealing a gray cloth-like layer underneath it.

If that's what you were talking about, I suppose I was just unlucky, haha. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, since I tend not to be all that lucky. That, or it's just what happens after five years of light use.

Yes that's what I'm talking about. The original ATH-A500/700/900 were *notorious* for this problem. However the new X series had "new and improved" pads that weren't supposed to do that. Not that its any consolation but my W1000X have not started to peel/flake and they're more than a few years old at this point (I think I bought them in 2010 or 2011; don't remember exactly). They're used fairly lightly too - I'd still be perturbed if they started to disintegrate like this. That said, the price you got from AT for 1000X pads isn't bad at all.

I don't know if I want to use cloth pads, though, as some of them can be itchy, although my HD600's pads are simply too stiff. I think I will have to flip a coin on it or something; I keep going back and forth on trying this leather stuff, but recoiling at the expense (amusing, I know, since I shelled out $550 for these cans to begin with.)

IME those Senns have among the stiffest pads out there. I doubt it'd hurt to ask AT what they want for a pair of AD700X or AD2000X pads (I don't even know if they're different between models tbh) - personally if they were cheap like the 1000X pads, I'd just order the 1000X replacements and also try the cloth pads, and see which you like better.

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #1,923 of 1,994

mine also did after around 3 year or so , I replaced them just now with velour pads from hifiman .

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,924 of 1,994
Yes that's what I'm talking about. The original ATH-A500/700/900 were *notorious* for this problem. However the new X series had "new and improved" pads that weren't supposed to do that. Not that its any consolation but my W1000X have not started to peel/flake and they're more than a few years old at this point (I think I bought them in 2010 or 2011; don't remember exactly). They're used fairly lightly too - I'd still be perturbed if they started to disintegrate like this. That said, the price you got from AT for 1000X pads isn't bad at all.
IME those Senns have among the stiffest pads out there. I doubt it'd hurt to ask AT what they want for a pair of AD700X or AD2000X pads (I don't even know if they're different between models tbh) - personally if they were cheap like the 1000X pads, I'd just order the 1000X replacements and also try the cloth pads, and see which you like better.

Haha, I guess I'm glad I never owned those headphones, then. I find it pretty annoying having to replace stuff on these, particularly because they last just long enough where it feels like they might not make them anymore when you get around to needing replacements. Having said that, it could be that the environment here was also a factor; For years I usually had them in a drawer inside a plastic bag when I wasn't using them, although recently I left them out on my desk 'exposed' because I was using them a couple times a week. Still, my Shures have been out and abused far longer (I take them when I travel, since they can take a beating) and they only just started to peel around the same time as the W1000X.

I suppose I can ask about the cloth pads as well, but somehow I find myself not really thinking they'll be preferable. At the least, I've found it really annoying keeping dust from sticking onto my HD600 pads.

mine also did after around 3 year or so , I replaced them just now with velour pads from hifiman .

Non-AT pads can fit AT headphones? That's surprising. Which ones?

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,925 of 1,994

Haha, I guess I'm glad I never owned those headphones, then. I find it pretty annoying having to replace stuff on these, particularly because they last just long enough where it feels like they might not make them anymore when you get around to needing replacements. Having said that, it could be that the environment here was also a factor; For years I usually had them in a drawer inside a plastic bag when I wasn't using them, although recently I left them out on my desk 'exposed' because I was using them a couple times a week. Still, my Shures have been out and abused far longer (I take them when I travel, since they can take a beating) and they only just started to peel around the same time as the W1000X.

I suppose I can ask about the cloth pads as well, but somehow I find myself not really thinking they'll be preferable. At the least, I've found it really annoying keeping dust from sticking onto my HD600 pads.

dunno about other AT headphone, but the hifiman velour and hifiman pleather can be used on the W1000X ,I just put the pads on mine, you have to struggle to put them , but they fit and they stay there so far 

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,926 of 1,994
Hrm, okay. So it sounds like they weren't a perfect fit, but you did manage to get them on and it's pretty snug. I guess I can keep that in mind if I want to try that out.
Hopefully I can figure something out soon. I really do love this pair of headphones and the sound it produces for general listening. It's also taken all of my effort to avoid looking at anything else, and especially the W1000Z which seems to be the 'next in line' for this series, just to avoid being tempted and spending more money.. Haha.

Unrelated, but does anyone have any quick tips on keeping the wooden cup's finish clean and polished? It looks really nice while it's polished, and I want to make sure it stays that way. I have no idea what kinds of things would be safe to use on it, though.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,928 of 1,994
Hmm, okay, so it sounds like just your typical microfiber cloth would do well. Thanks!

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,929 of 1,994

Mr Speakers Alpha Pads fit.  I like them better on the W1000 than on the W1000X though.

Aug 22, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #1,930 of 1,994
Hrm, okay. So it sounds like they weren't a perfect fit, but you did manage to get them on and it's pretty snug. I guess I can keep that in mind if I want to try that out.
Hopefully I can figure something out soon. I really do love this pair of headphones and the sound it produces for general listening. It's also taken all of my effort to avoid looking at anything else, and especially the W1000Z which seems to be the 'next in line' for this series, just to avoid being tempted and spending more money.. Haha.

Unrelated, but does anyone have any quick tips on keeping the wooden cup's finish clean and polished? It looks really nice while it's polished, and I want to make sure it stays that way. I have no idea what kinds of things would be safe to use on it, though.

I've emailed AT about this and their official response (which ATUS said was being passed along from the factory in Japan) is that no care should be required to preserve the wood (e.g. it is already sealed/treated so it doesn't need wax or furniture polish or whatever). However for cleaning they were largely quiet on the matter. I just did the same thing I do to clean my wood furniture - a clean, damp cloth with some mild detergent and a drop or two of bleach (I'm not kidding you). I've only done this once to W1000X but it had no negative effects (I did this a while ago). Here's what I did in steps:

- Filled my kitchen sink with lukewarm water (I have no idea if hot or cold would make a difference - I picked a temperature that would be comfortable to stick my hands into)
- Added a little bit of mild detergent (just the same stuff I wash my hands, dishes, etc with)
- Added a splash of bleach (we're talking like a capful or less into gallons of water - you shouldn't be smelling bleach across the room, but it's still enough to sterilize everything)
- Got a cloth wet in that, rang it out really well, and lightly wiped the W1000X down.
- Took a second cloth just damp with clean water and wiped them again ("rinse").
- Dried them with a towel.

They did not smell like detergent or bleach afterwords, they were cleaned, and there was no discoloration or damage to the pads, cups, headband, etc. I also didn't scrub or get tons of suds on them or whatever, I didn't try to "inject" the cloth into the earcups, etc. Very much a gentle surface wipe-down to clear dust/fingerprints/etc in one pass.

The W1000X have a lacquer finish, so they should always be "shiny" or "polished" looking, as long as they aren't dirty (e.g. super dusty, covered in fingerprints, etc). There should be no need to take a polishing kit or something to them, and it would likely damage the lacquer finish.

For day-to-day I use a lens cloth like previously mentioned to dust them (and all my other headphones) as needed. Works very well. I also keep all of my headphones in drawers to keep them away from sunlight and dust as best I can. I'd be leery of a plastic bag in the event that it heated up and stuck to the headphone, or if it decomposed (maybe not the right word) and made bad smells (I've seen both happen to plastic bags over the years, and this is partly why I don't store things in plastic bags as a general rule).

Just my 2c. Not responsible if you go crazy and take your W1000X in the bathtub trying to clean them or whatever else. :wink:

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #1,933 of 1,994
So I got these.
Nice build and looks, good comfort.
Sound is very similar to MSR7. I like them tiny bit more than IM04.
Many owners claim that w1000x isn't suited for modern music. I don't find that true, because bass is sufficient for most tracks.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #1,935 of 1,994
Has anyone tried pairing these to modern DAPs nowadays such as iBasso dx50/dx90 or Fiio x3/x5? How does it perform? Does it benefit from amp (I have Cayin C5)m

I'll be totally honest, my W1000x Is the very headphone that prompted me to sell my Hifiman HM 801 [which I felt was a clear step above the Fiio X5] an buy the hifiman HM 901, granted I've modded mine quite a bit an run it balanced from an iBasso PB2

still my point is, these things scale nicely. I found that I like them on the drier side with a Hifiman DAP, I'd love to see a PCM Dac focused DAP, I'm disappointed Hifiman didn't carry the chip forward into their HM901, how ever they managed to create a sound simmilar but a step above what they did with it before

either way, I like my W1000x out of a very transparent solid state, an jeeze I'm disappointed to say that I haven't posted a new review of these for... well 2 years now :O I really need to do a re write! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back