ATH-W1000X Thread!
May 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #1,816 of 1,994
  In the closed back section in the W1000X price range, there is NONE that are as easy to listen to for a very long time as the W1000X.
I tried the 3 Denons (D2000, 5000 and 7000, modded and stock) and the bass got real tiring after half hour. The AKG K550 that I love lack the emotion, it sounds too clean. The modded and now closed back HD650 are good, but they sound claustrophobic. For a little while I had the W5000 and they are good, but not worth the extra $, they aren't THAT much better (if at all).
Comparing an open back to a closed back is like comparing an orange with an egg. Both food, but 2 completely different worlds.

teee hee good point, but I don't mind the bass of the D2k, espically the modded D2k, but it lacks the mids of teh w1000x so It cant my everything headphone 

May 7, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #1,817 of 1,994
  Seriously you pyschotic nut job... SELL THOSE THINGS. If your DT 770 was as EPIC as you say it is I wonder if you could sell it like Dan does the Mr Speakers headphones? Either way BRING THESE AMAZING HEADPHONES to the public

On the note of OMG SUB BASS, my D2k [heaviliy modded at this point] is pretty stankin epic! I just wish it had the Mids of the W1000x then It'd be perfect :/ but alas it doesnt... I haven't found anything that quiete has the W1000xs Sound Signiture and unique sound stage 

I could, but I would charge quite a lot. Mwahahaha!

Seriously, though, I'll think about that. I want to make sure I have extracted every single drop of juice out of the headphone before I consider it okay to sell.

And on another note, there is a way to improve low frequency response on the W1000X. Other than dynamat, that is. But I am afraid it will just exacerbate the upper mid/low treble peak of the drivers.

In the closed back section in the W1000X price range, there is NONE that are as easy to listen to for a very long time as the W1000X.
I tried the 3 Denons (D2000, 5000 and 7000, modded and stock) and the bass got real tiring after half hour. The AKG K550 that I love lack the emotion, it sounds too clean. The modded and now closed back HD650 are good, but they sound claustrophobic. For a little while I had the W5000 and they are good, but not worth the extra $, they aren't THAT much better (if at all).
Comparing an open back to a closed back is like comparing an orange with an egg. Both food, but 2 completely different worlds.

No, they are practically still the same things. So they can be compared.

Some closed headphones have very good soundstaging and clarity compared to open headphones... like say the Fostex TH900 and Audeze LCD-XC.

And then some open headphones have not as good soundstaging, or clarity... like the HD600 or HD650.

Then there is the decay myth... that closed-back headphones can't sound as fast/clean as open headphones. But seriously, I'd insist that you listen to the LCD-XC before you consider such thing to be factual.

Saying open can't be compared to closed is just ignoring the fact that both are still headphones... with price tags... and so it is perfectly valid to consider whether or not a closed or open headphone is a better solution at a given price point.

Same reason why some of us resort to modding: we want better sound at a lower price point.

If money wasn't the issue, then I'd have just purchased an LCD-XC and called it a day. It's just that good.

May 7, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #1,818 of 1,994

Seriously, though, I'll think about that. I want to make sure I have extracted every single drop of juice out of the headphone before I consider it okay to sell.

And on another note, there is a way to improve low frequency response on the W1000X. Other than dynamat, that is. But I am afraid it will just exacerbate the upper mid/low treble peak of the drivers.

Some closed headphones have very good soundstaging and clarity compared to open headphones... like say the Fostex TH900 and Audeze LCD-XC.

And then some open headphones have not as good soundstaging, or clarity... like the HD600 or HD650.

Then there is the decay myth... that closed-back headphones can't sound as fast/clean as open headphones. But seriously, I'd insist that you listen to the LCD-XC before you consider such thing to be factual.

Saying open can't be compared to closed is just ignoring the fact that both are still headphones... with price tags... and so it is perfectly valid to consider whether or not a closed or open headphone is a better solution at a given price point.

Same reason why some of us resort to modding: we want better sound at a lower price point.

If money wasn't the issue, then I'd have just purchased an LCD-XC and called it a day. It's just that good.

See I'd like to hear the LCD XC ... as I think I could sell all 3 of my headphones and afford one LCD XC 

May 7, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,819 of 1,994
  See I'd like to hear the LCD XC ... as I think I could sell all 3 of my headphones and afford one LCD XC 

And then you'd be out of an amp.

The LCD-XC is quite efficient, but in order to get it to be as loud as like, say, the W1000X, you'd need to have quite a powerful amp.

It's the opposite of a DT880 600 Ohm that needs really high voltage. You need very high current in this case.

But if you can satisfy that condition, then you're in for a treat IMO. It's a very very very good headphone.

The midrange does have a slight edge that can cause it to inch ever closer to sibilance, but other than that, you really can't fault super linear bass response and very good decay/clarity to accompany that.

If I didn't hear the LCD-XC, I wouldn't have thought that such decay control was possible with a closed headphone.

May 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,820 of 1,994

And then you'd be out of an amp.

The LCD-XC is quite efficient, but in order to get it to be as loud as like, say, the W1000X, you'd need to have quite a powerful amp.

It's the opposite of a DT880 600 Ohm that needs really high voltage. You need very high current in this case.

But if you can satisfy that condition, then you're in for a treat IMO. It's a very very very good headphone.

The midrange does have a slight edge that can cause it to inch ever closer to sibilance, but other than that, you really can't fault super linear bass response and very good decay/clarity to accompany that.

If I didn't hear the LCD-XC, I wouldn't have thought that such decay control was possible with a closed headphone.

ohhh Silly you, I have a Audio GD NFB 10ES2 It'll shove 6wpc into 32 ohms thank you Sir, with it's high efficancy it should get a crap ton of Current out of my amps, then there's the iBass pb2, with high gain I should be able to shove a good 2wpc into it 

thankfully, when I was told I needed High Voltage for the DT 880 600 ohm, I figured WELP might as well go with something crazy powerful so I can not worry about amps ever again!

Granted, I've hurd rumors that Azude Cans can take a whopping 15wpc, but I think 6 should be more than optimal, and 2wpc should be sufficent 

May 8, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #1,821 of 1,994
Originally Posted by Bill-P /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously you pyschotic nut job... SELL THOSE THINGS. If your DT 770 was as EPIC as you say it is I wonder if you could sell it like Dan does the Mr Speakers headphones? Either way BRING THESE AMAZING HEADPHONES to the public

On the note of OMG SUB BASS, my D2k [heaviliy modded at this point] is pretty stankin epic! I just wish it had the Mids of the W1000x then It'd be perfect :/ but alas it doesnt... I haven't found anything that quiete has the W1000xs Sound Signiture and unique sound stage 

Seriously, though, I'll think about that.

You should, Bill-P.  Seriously!!!

I agree.  In the end, they are just headphones.  All technology is fair game.  The result is what counts...

May 30, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,823 of 1,994
If there are any UK w1000x owners wishing to change their stock pads, there's a pair of w5000 earpads on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Audio-Technica-HP-W5000-Replacement-Ear-Pads-for-ATH-W5000-Pair-/141290941488?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item20e598ac30

There are others, but the above is the cheapest I could see. I bought a pair from them and though it takes an absolute age to get to the UK (for me it was around 3 weeks), for just over £40 over the £90 you'd pay from the UK AT store they're a steal.

I went from stock w1000x pads, to hifiman velours, back to stock due to the itchiness. Second time around, I got pretty used to the stock pads. The w5000 pads are slightly larger on the actual headphones, but are much more comfortable. They're slightly thicker so improved on the seal and fit.

May 30, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #1,825 of 1,994
Personally speaking, I did not notice a major change/improvement on the sq. However, I did not spend much time comparing the sq - others in this thread may have compared the difference more thoroughly. The original reason I changed to the velours was to improve comfort. 

At first I thought the velours did that. The pads sit quite firmly around the ears because the pads themselves are quite a tight fit on the headphones. This means the ears have more room compared to the original pads. But it also means that there is a gap in the seal behind the ears. I also found the velour material irritating and itchy on the skin. 

I changed back to the stocks for about 3 weeks, and in that time I honestly felt them more comfortable than the velours. Fit the ears behind the earpad holes, and it provides a better seal and the itchiness was gone. The ears sit closer to the drivers, but I didn't find it detrimental to the sound.

May 30, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,826 of 1,994
  Personally speaking, I did not notice a major change/improvement on the sq. However, I did not spend much time comparing the sq - others in this thread may have compared the difference more thoroughly. The original reason I changed to the velours was to improve comfort. 

At first I thought the velours did that. The pads sit quite firmly around the ears because the pads themselves are quite a tight fit on the headphones. This means the ears have more room compared to the original pads. But it also means that there is a gap in the seal behind the ears. I also found the velour material irritating and itchy on the skin. 

I changed back to the stocks for about 3 weeks, and in that time I honestly felt them more comfortable than the velours. Fit the ears behind the earpad holes, and it provides a better seal and the itchiness was gone. The ears sit closer to the drivers, but I didn't find it detrimental to the sound.

thost w5000 pads sound a lot like how the L3000 Pads fit.

either way even for a US Person, those are cheaper than buying L3000 pads! 

May 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #1,827 of 1,994
  thost w5000 pads sound a lot like how the L3000 Pads fit.

either way even for a US Person, those are cheaper than buying L3000 pads! 

Yeah the w5000 has a slightly larger diameter I think, so the fit is slightly loose on the w1000x (I wish it was a perfect fit, but it stays in place so whatever). The leather pad is very comfortable and has a good seal.

Unfortunately I was unable to source any L3000 (edit: I meant the pads) in my searches. The higher ATs and their accessories are priced pretty heavily in the UK so buying from Japan or US can make sense.

By the way good luck with your sale - I enjoyed reading your article on the modded w1000x. 
I love my Woodies, but I wish AT would improve their cables...

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #1,829 of 1,994
  Just joined the W1000X cub, traded my HIFIMAN HE-400,beautiful pair of headphones!loving the sound so far,and night and day in the comfort department compared to 400,s.

Congrats!  
I'd considered the HE400 before choosing the W1000X. Would be great to hear your new impressions/comparisons on the AT's sound as you just switched from the HE400s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,830 of 1,994
I traded my W1000x for the HE400. The W1000x just ended up being too bright for me. The mids were very good and that was a big reason for getting them. They just pierced my ears and it was hard to listen.

Comparison wise, just totally different signatures, the HE400 sounds a bit smoothies and more liquid. Mids are not as forward but the HE400 has good integrated mids. Planars have this sound where everything is just tight and refined.

Bass the W1000x has good bass but it drops off at the low notes so doesn't sound very complete here, the HE400 has one of the best bass responses I've heard.

HE400>W1000x

Soundstage and image the W1000x is excellent for a closed headphone, it open and airy! Not quite DT770 level but very big.
The HE400 has a good soundstage and accurate imaging. It's superior but it's a hifi open phone so it going to have the advantage.

HE400>W1000x

Mids are close and it's going to depend if you want forward aggressive mids or nicely balanced mids of the planar. I prefer the W1000x here personally. They have some of the best mids I've heard, not quite HD650 but very good. HE400 ave lush, smooth mids, smoother then the W1000x. The HE400 smoothness with the intimate mids of the W1000x
gives you the HD650 mids :wink:

W1000x>HE400

Treble I find both good in terms of detail but the W1000x is too bright for me! It makes them really hard to listen to them. I prefer the HE400 for this reason. It's darker, airyer and just nicer to listen too.

HE400>W1000x.

I think both are great! If you can deal with the brightness then the W1000x can compete with the heavy hitting planar. The W1000x are overpriced but those woodie cups obviously add do that price a lot.

I think the W1000x is fantastic better then Mad Dog and Shure 1540 ehich are other hifi closed backs. Very underrated headphone.

If I didn't have the HD650 which does everything better, I'd still have the W1000x I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back