ATH-W1000X Thread!
Mar 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,651 of 1,994
The Alpha Dog is more like a side-grade to the W1000X than an "upgrade".

Of the many headphones that I have owned and listened to, very few may actually be considered an upgrade to the W1000X. Especially if you mod the W1000X, I'm quite certain there are not a lot of headphones that can beat it. Even including the famed W3000ANV.

On the other hand, I think the original W1000 (non-X) can handily beat the W1000X where midrange and treble are concerned. Too bad it doesn't have a lot of bass by design, so...

Mar 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,652 of 1,994
  The Alpha Dog is more like a side-grade to the W1000X than an "upgrade".

Of the many headphones that I have owned and listened to, very few may actually be considered an upgrade to the W1000X. Especially if you mod the W1000X, I'm quite certain there are not a lot of headphones that can beat it. Even including the famed W3000ANV.

On the other hand, I think the original W1000 (non-X) can handily beat the W1000X where midrange and treble are concerned. Too bad it doesn't have a lot of bass by design, so...

POR QUE

Yea I did mod my W1000x

ugh that is so LAME q.q

some one needs to get a hold of an LCD XC and compare it to the W1000x >.> 

and yea I keep hearing the W3000 is different from the W1000x, not "better" and sadly hearing the orignal W1000 has better mids and treble... but NO BASS is also  POR QUE moment. The w1000x is mah ROCK headphone [it does everything after the mod and L3000 Pads]

Oh wait the L3000... OH GAWD the L3000 <.< might be my only upgrade option... or the fvucking Sony MDR R10 q.q 

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,653 of 1,994
  POR QUE

Yea I did mod my W1000x

ugh that is so LAME q.q

and yea I keep hearing the W3000 is different from the W1000x, not "better" and sadly hearing the orignal W1000 has better mids and treble... but NO BASS is also  POR QUE moment. The w1000x is mah ROCK headphone [it does everything after the mod and L3000 Pads]

Oh wait the L3000... OH GAWD the L3000 <.< might be my only upgrade option... or the fvucking Sony MDR R10 q.q 

I think the W3000ANV has it's own sound signature compared to the W1000X modded.  More balanced across the upper bass to lower high range, but with bit more of a bass droop for that deep bass while having better treble extension than the W1000X.  I'd also take the mids of the W3000ANV as presented, not as intimate as the W1000X so there's a bit more space, though not as wide or deep as say the TH900 or an open headphone.  I do love my W3000ANV, and haven't used my W1000X for a long time, long enough that I'm considering selling it since I have an LFF Enigma on order.  

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #1,654 of 1,994
  POR QUE

Yea I did mod my W1000x

ugh that is so LAME q.q

Oh no, by "mod", I really mean... "do more than Purrin's mod".

I think the W1000X can potentially sound very good once it has been modded right.

I was tempted to pick up another pair and turn it into a W3000ANV... but then I heard the W1000, and I was blown away. Personally... I think the W1000 is the best Audio Technica headphone I have heard. Bar none. It might well be the best midrange-head headphone I have heard as well.

And now I'm left figuring out how to add bass to the W1000 without muddying up the sound signature or destroying the enclosure for bass ports.

Hmm... fun times.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #1,655 of 1,994
I've recently acquired a dac and amp set up and wanted to add another headphone to my collection. I'm interested in the W1000X and wondered whether it would accompany my T1 well?
Ideally I would like to get a headphone that has a different character to the T1. 

I listen to a lot of classical music (symphonies and piano concertos) and jazz. The AD700X is the only AT headphone I've owned previously, and I think it suited the music I listened to very well. But will be passing that headphone over to my sister.

Any insight from past and present W1000X owners would be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
 Thank you!

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #1,657 of 1,994
  I think you'll find the W1000X to be a sizable improvement over the AD700, and it'll also be a different flavor compared to the T1.

You may end up liking the W1000X more for vocal-related music, I think.

Thanks for the response Bill-P.
I listen to a fair amount of female jazz vocal music, and opera. I hope that's a good match. 
Sound quality wise would you say it is in a similar ball park to the T1? I've read the W1000X compared with the HD650 and in the UK the sennheiser would be a cheaper to buy instead. Not entirely sure what to make of it. 

Also how much does the headphone colour the music? 

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,658 of 1,994

Thanks for the response Bill-P.
I listen to a fair amount of female jazz vocal music, and opera. I hope that's a good match. 
Sound quality wise would you say it is in a similar ball park to the T1? I've read the W1000X compared with the HD650 and in the UK the sennheiser would be a cheaper to buy instead. Not entirely sure what to make of it. 

Also how much does the headphone colour the music? 

I have both and sound quality wise imo the w1000x are not in the same ballpark as the T1. However on first listen you might not actually find them to different in character. I do find the T1 is more refined and accurate in timbre and tone, resolving of details and textures that the ath only hints at. The ath are defiantly more resolving than my HD650's and less coloured while not being quiet so natural in tone. 

The W1000X has a nice if slightly forward midrange which is a touch on the smooth side while pleasant it can lack a bit of bite or attack at times and sometimes can feel a little flat. Its the same with the bass its their but a touch to smooth and not as fast punchy or controlled as the T1 which itself doesn't deliver masses of bass but it makes up for it with quality of what is available.
The sound stage width depth is similar to the T1 though separation of instruments within it is not quiet as precise. I use my ath for listening at night in bed as they offer a relaxing signature and some isolation for my other halfs benefit. I find the T1's are more intense not as relaxing to listen to.

I will say the ath are competent and very enjoyable cans that are a good listen but they have not immersed me in the music the way the T1's can. I always feel I'm listening to a reproduction of the music with them while the T1 can be absolutely beguiling and does (at times) take me there.  

Edit the HD650'S most probably offer a more difference in sound to the T1's than the ath if you are in the UK I do have a  ath w1000x listed that would I consider offers on.

Mar 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #1,659 of 1,994
Does anyone have a tip on how to make them a bit looser fitting? I know they're a closed headphone but I can barely listen to more than one classical movement (say, 10 minutes) without getting some air from them - I've tried putting them on a large "dummy head" when I'm not using them and that makes them looser for about 1 minute of being worn, but after that they close up again. Shame because they sound fantastic!

Mar 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #1,660 of 1,994

I have both and sound quality wise imo the w1000x are not in the same ballpark as the T1. However on first listen you might not actually find them to different in character. I do find the T1 is more refined and accurate in timbre and tone, resolving of details and textures that the ath only hints at. The ath are defiantly more resolving than my HD650's and less coloured while not being quiet so natural in tone. 

The W1000X has a nice if slightly forward midrange which is a touch on the smooth side while pleasant it can lack a bit of bite or attack at times and sometimes can feel a little flat. Its the same with the bass its their but a touch to smooth and not as fast punchy or controlled as the T1 which itself doesn't deliver masses of bass but it makes up for it with quality of what is available.
The sound stage width depth is similar to the T1 though separation of instruments within it is not quiet as precise. I use my ath for listening at night in bed as they offer a relaxing signature and some isolation for my other halfs benefit. I find the T1's are more intense not as relaxing to listen to.

I will say the ath are competent and very enjoyable cans that are a good listen but they have not immersed me in the music the way the T1's can. I always feel I'm listening to a reproduction of the music with them while the T1 can be absolutely beguiling and does (at times) take me there.  

Edit the HD650'S most probably offer a more difference in sound to the T1's than the ath if you are in the UK I do have a  ath w1000x listed that would I consider offers on.

Many thanks for your insights JamieMcC - you communicated your thoughts on the headphones so precisely. I do agree with everything you say about the T1, and it's one of the reasons why I like it so much.

This does put me in a dilemma - do I hold off and save up for something else

OR

You said about its relaxing signature - it might suit my needs as I use headphones quite a bit while working/studying at my desk on the PC. At the same time, I may regret buying it if the sound quality differs too much from the T1. I did want an AT headphone in my collection, and I thought the W1000X was ideal.

Also do you normally listen through the tube amp in your profile pic? I have a SS amp and I wonder whether the sound experience with the W1000x may differ? 

Mar 29, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #1,661 of 1,994
  Many thanks for your insights JamieMcC - you communicated your thoughts on the headphones so precisely. I do agree with everything you say about the T1, and it's one of the reasons why I like it so much.

This does put me in a dilemma - do I hold off and save up for something else

OR

You said about its relaxing signature - it might suit my needs as I use headphones quite a bit while working/studying at my desk on the PC. At the same time, I may regret buying it if the sound quality differs too much from the T1. I did want an AT headphone in my collection, and I thought the W1000X was ideal.

Also do you normally listen through the tube amp in your profile pic? I have a SS amp and I wonder whether the sound experience with the W1000x may differ? 

I normally listen to the ath via a Marantz na7004 or just recently I have been using a Teac Reference A-H500 the ath sound good with both a real positive for me with the ath is they are good to listen with at lower volume levels.

I do also listen with my to them via my tube amp its a Bottlehead Crack and meant to be best suited to higher impedance cans 250ohm and above. Saying that the ath do sound a touch more alive and dynamic with the tube set up but the bass can be little loose and woolly at times depending on what your listening to I don't actually mind this as the low and high mids are nice. In reality its actually much better than the specs would suggest especially if I use some tubes which lower the impedance of the amp. 

The T1's synergy with the OTL tube Crack is very good indeed I would recommend it highly, a few easy and relatively inexpensive modifications can turn the pairing into something rather special.

Mar 29, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #1,662 of 1,994
Cheers again for the feedback JamieMcC
So I've been looking through the forums again specifically between the W1000X and the HD650. 

I may need more time to make up my mind between the two... Also am I making a mistake looking to buy these cans when I have a T1? 

I also wondered whether this company is a reputable sellers for AT headphones?

http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_result_goods.php?in_maker=24&in_category=10&search_value=&orderby=&asc_desc=0&pg=2 

Many thanks again all.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,663 of 1,994
  Pads arrived! Had time to briefly test them.

A little comparison:

1000X stock pads - no,,, just no. terrible. $50 asking price is a joke!
900X stock pads - not bad for $10 less [$40] you are actually getting superior pads! Much better sonical performance. Warm sound. The pads are a bit shallow and the openings too small for my taste. Nonetheless, great pads!
HiFiMAN velour earpads - the cleanest sound. Lacks the punch of the pleather pads but sound the most articulate and precise. Almost analytical. Other than the bass, these sound really good. The bass is just too tight and lacks oomph. It is also consequentially the easiest to pick up details & nuances with. I'd use these if I were feeling like sound whoring :D $10
HiFiMAN pleather earpads - drum rolls! The winner! A cross between the velour and 900X pads. Bass is comparable, might be just a hair less punchy, a hair more mids and treble maybe? They are esentially the 900X, just bigger ear holes and deeper pads. Comes with foam rings which you can use to adjust the depth [esentially, if you use them the pad is a bit harder but retains its shape better. If you don't, then the pads is softer and deforms a bit more, no difference in SQ]. I chose these because I don't really fault the 900X pad's presentation just wished for more comfort. The velours are great for sound analyses. The 1000X pads are a disgrace and as an abomination should be banned from the headphone [and any other headphone]. These are $20.   

[I am still willing to try different pads obviously, I am kinda a pads roller :D The JMoneys f.i.]

Finally, the pics!

So, can you please confirm, the pads that are pictured on the W1000X's here are both the HiFiman velours and the HiFiMan Pleathers?

If so, where am I able to get either of these? I find the W1000X fairly uncomfortable and am trying to fix that, I'm thinking velour might be the go.
Thanks.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,664 of 1,994

Yes they are the HIFIMAN velours and pleathers.
You can get them at head-direct.com for example.

Mar 29, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,665 of 1,994
Quote:
  Cheers again for the feedback JamieMcC
So I've been looking through the forums again specifically between the W1000X and the HD650. 

I may need more time to make up my mind between the two... Also am I making a mistake looking to buy these cans when I have a T1? 

I also wondered whether this company is a reputable sellers for AT headphones?

http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_result_goods.php?in_maker=24&in_category=10&search_value=&orderby=&asc_desc=0&pg=2 

Many thanks again all.

Bear in mind if importing and your uk base the shipping fee, import duty, VAT and Royal mail/ Parcel Force handling fees will add about another £100 to the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back