ATH-W1000X Thread!
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:45 AM Post #498 of 1,994
yeah, going from w1000 to w1000x would be not only an upgrade, but a sidegrade too.
in "Audio-technica's sound" the next step would be w5000
w1000x is more like a step towards "Beyerdynamic sound"

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #499 of 1,994
I've owned the W1000 before the W1000X and I believe it's more of a side-grade than an upgrade. They are both very different headphones.

Make sure you try to or buy them from a place with a good return policy.

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #500 of 1,994
I live slightly east of nowhere so I have no chance of trying quality cans locally; therefore, I always buy used gear from fellow head-fi'ers so that I can audition the items for as long as I want, then liquidate it back here on the forums when I'm ready to move on.

The problem is that sometimes I have to wait a very long time for what I'm looking for to appear in the classifieds.

I definitely prefer the AT sound to the Beyer I tried in the past (DT770 80ohm with bloated bass and fatigue filled upper range, imo), so that may not be a direction I would prefer, but I will probably still try a set when I see one appear.  Thanks for the insight guys.

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #501 of 1,994
Need some input from the AT faithful here!

I'm a new convert to Audio Technica phones and am loving my AD2000s. And precisely because i've fallen so head-over-heels in love with these phones, i'm really curious as to how these compare to the AT woodies like the W1000/x, W5000, W10/11 or even the L3000s.

Maybe a simple break-down of the sound signatures of these listed phones anyone?

Many thanks in advance! 

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #502 of 1,994

Quote:
I live slightly east of nowhere so I have no chance of trying quality cans locally; therefore, I always buy used gear from fellow head-fi'ers so that I can audition the items for as long as I want, then liquidate it back here on the forums when I'm ready to move on.

The problem is that sometimes I have to wait a very long time for what I'm looking for to appear in the classifieds.

I definitely prefer the AT sound to the Beyer I tried in the past (DT770 80ohm with bloated bass and fatigue filled upper range, imo), so that may not be a direction I would prefer, but I will probably still try a set when I see one appear.  Thanks for the insight guys.

i would call w1000x an "improved to perfection DT770" i.e. they share the same FUN mood, but w1000x has a very good articulate bass and not so fatiquing (but sparkling) upper range.
unfortunately, though, it still has somewhat recessed lower-mids which makes male vocals sound distant and has some negative inpact on acoustic guitar sound (neylon and metal strings sound almost the same).

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #503 of 1,994
Quote:
i would call w1000x an "improved to perfection DT770" i.e. they share the same FUN mood, but w1000x has a very good articulate bass and not so fatiquing (but sparkling) upper range.
unfortunately, though, it still has somewhat recessed lower-mids which makes male vocals sound distant and has some negative inpact on acoustic guitar sound (neylon and metal strings sound almost the same).

Thanks, Now I'm fully intrigued and compelled to try a set.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #505 of 1,994
The things that you'll notice improvement easily from W1000 to W1000X is more spacious, cleaner sound, 3D staging and the real bass. So you won't feel congested like what W1000 usually offer.

W1000 somewhat I feel like have "too much" when produce vocality, make me only can hear the vocal, while the other instrument is just like side complement (and the coloration for treble is weird too). For songs with few instrument like only Vocal + Piano, or acoustic only Vocal + guitar, it's fine, but when come to more complex songs, the congested will show up.

In W1000X, the spectrum is more balance, make me hear instrumen and vocal at the same portion. (well, the vocality is still a bit too recessed for me though)

The thing that you'll miss from the original W1000 compare to "X" is the lush and fullness of vocality. From all set up (cans + amp) that I've ever heard, W1000 + Yamamoto is still the "king" of vocality. Comfort and fitting wise, I also feel W1000 is better than "X"

note: basically I love forward and full mid, but not when the vocal will cover the other instrument too much.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #506 of 1,994

Quote:
The things that you'll notice improvement easily from W1000 to W1000X is more spacious, cleaner sound, 3D staging and the real bass. So you won't feel congested like what W1000 usually offer.

W1000 somewhat I feel like have "too much" when produce vocality, make me only can hear the vocal, while the other instrument is just like side complement (and the coloration for treble is weird too). For songs with few instrument like only Vocal + Piano, or acoustic only Vocal + guitar, it's fine, but when come to more complex songs, the congested will show up.

In W1000X, the spectrum is more balance, make me hear instrumen and vocal at the same portion. (well, the vocality is still a bit too recessed for me though)

The thing that you'll miss from the original W1000 compare to "X" is the lush and fullness of vocality. From all set up (cans + amp) that I've ever heard, W1000 + Yamamoto is still the "king" of vocality. Comfort and fitting wise, I also feel W1000 is better than "X"

note: basically I love forward and full mid, but not when the vocal will cover the other instrument too much.

Any comparisons to the AD1000PRMs which i gather are pretty similar to the AD2000s?

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #507 of 1,994
PRM will share that lush and full mid as W1000, but it will get back up by a lot of AIR, make everything more spacious and open sound. W1000 is still more "Midcentric" than PRM (more lush). PRM has more natural treble. Both of them have weak bass.

If you want to know more about PRM compare to AD2000, you can start to read here: http://www.headfonia.com/audio-technica-ad-series-ad300-ad700-ad900-ad1000prm-ad2000/

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #508 of 1,994
Just found a site selling these at a incredible price 
wink_face.gif

http://www.headphones4us.com/?p=236

Edit: thought I should add that its an error made on the website and you can't actually buy them

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #509 of 1,994
Just pulled the trigger on these! Like everyone else that joins this community, never imagined I'd spend so much on headphones ($580). Was a decision between these and the AD2000, but I could not be persuaded against these wooden beauties. I'll likely pick up the AD2000s in a few months as my full-size open can.

Considering giving the Schiit Asgard a try with them - the 15day return policy is a nice deal for auditioning.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #510 of 1,994

Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on these! Like everyone else that joins this community, never imagined I'd spend so much on headphones ($580). Was a decision between these and the AD2000, but I could not be persuaded against these wooden beauties. I'll likely pick up the AD2000s in a few months as my full-size open can.

Considering giving the Schiit Asgard a try with them - the 15day return policy is a nice deal for auditioning.

I had the same thoughts when buying mine, now I'm trying to weigh up whether it's worth spending an extra $100 to get L3000 pads!

For an open alternative, I also considered the AD2000 for a while, but I decided to wait and see if A-T releases a replacement flagship open can in the next 12 months or so (it is their 50th anniversary and all...). The W1000X gives me everything I want from a home listening headphone at the moment anyway so am happy to wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back