ATH - W1000X looking for help.
Sep 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kinect360

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I've been browsing around online a lot and looking to upgrade from my current headphones that I currently have (ath-m50). Looking for a great sounding quality headphone, audiophile level, to use with just my iPod or phone as I usually do my music listening on the go. I had my eye on the W1000x but am concerned if using an iPod would be good enough for it and if a amp is really necessary or not. I've found the w1000x for around $525 on eBay so if you have a better suggestion please let me know. Also looking for something with a closed back.

I'm open into getting a portable DAC as well, mostly all my audio on the iPod is mp3s at 320kbps.

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 4
Hi there, I've been browsing around online a lot and looking to upgrade from my current headphones that I currently have (ath-m50). Looking for a great sounding quality headphone, audiophile level, to use with just my iPod or phone as I usually do my music listening on the go. I had my eye on the W1000x but am concerned if using an iPod would be good enough for it and if a amp is really necessary or not. I've found the w1000x for around $525 on eBay so if you have a better suggestion please let me know. Also looking for something with a closed back.

I'm open into getting a portable DAC as well, mostly all my audio on the iPod is mp3s at 320kbps.

Just about anything could drive the 42-Ohm ATH-W1000X, like your iPod or phone, my $27 Fiio E6 could drive the ATH-W1000X.
A Fiio E11 headphone amplifier might improve the audio quality, not sure by how much, you would want to get a LOD to 3.5mm (1/8") cable, to connect the Apple's LOD port to the line-in port of whatever amplifier you buy.
A Fiio X3 DAP (digital audio player), $200, should improve audio quality over the iPod or phone, it will play 320K audio files and I believe it plays ALAC (Apple audio files)
There is also the iBasso DX50, $240.

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 4
So would you guys recommend me in buying the w1000x or no? And I have a iPod touch 5, the adapter would not fight sadly :frowning2: is it true the w1000x lacks or bass? I've always had people tell me while trying on my m50s that there is not much bass with them so I can't see how it could be any different!

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 4
So would you guys recommend me in buying the w1000x or no? And I have a iPod touch 5, the adapter would not fight sadly
frown.gif
is it true the w1000x lacks or bass? I've always had people tell me while trying on my m50s that there is not much bass with them so I can't see how it could be any different!

LACKS bass, no sir trust me it does NOT lack bass! I'd recommend grabbing one though my friend! IF you need a REALly cheap combo, get your sefl a Sanza Zip Clip+ for like $30. It plays lossless files to which will make ur new w1000x sound even better! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back