[ ATH-W100 aesthetic mod ]
Apr 28, 2003 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Serpentine

New Head-Fier
I'll likely be getting myself a pair of w100s in a couple weeks and was wondering how touchy wooden headphones are? How much of the timbre of the headphones would be ruined by modding the exterior of the shells?

-Serp

Apr 28, 2003 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 8
Well, I need to get them in my hands first, and really take some time to attempt to get used to them ... and if they really don't grow on me aesthetically ...

... something along the lines of staining them a deep red ... (little darker than the 2002s, which I would have bought were I not a poor university student - love their look)

-Serp

Apr 28, 2003 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 8
All of these wood shells are finished -- that means they're stained and sealed.

To restain them, you'd have to remove the finish coat. And you would have to remove them from the headphone. And you'd have to be somewhat crazy to do all that work when the finish is gorgeous, IMHO!

If you want a deeper color, buy the W1000. They're a dark burgundy color. The W100 color is similar to a new cherry wood, an orange, and the W1000 is the rich color of older cherry, a wine-red, darkened from exposure to sunlight.

Apr 28, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Budgie, that's the W1000 color, exactly! And the sound of the cans is a bit on the astringent side when compared to the W100, which is more mellow and sultry. Solid state vs. tubes, if you must.

I have to say that I think the colors of the W100 are nicer than those of the W1000, except for the cord (black is preferred). Warmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back