ATH M50x vs Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Feb 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jack25

New Head-Fier
I've had the original M50's for the past year and love them. Only problem is the bulkiness and the fact the ear pads can get uncomfortable over long periods. I need something a bit more portable which is why I'm interested in the Momentums.

However, at the same time, I don't want to forsake sound quality for portability. I'd happily upgrade from my M50's to M50X's due to the detachable cable if it means I'm getting the same sound quality. Are the Momentum's worth an upgrade based on this info?

Advice? 

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 12
Well you definitely won't be sacrificing sound quality for portability in the Momentum M2/2.0. 

I don't know if the Momentum M2's could be considered as an upgrade, but I definitely do like the sound of the M2's quite a bit more than my M50S. Much more of a laid back but intimate and still fun sounding on the M2's. The pads are also very comfortable for me, though they can get sweaty. 

If you can pick the M2's up for around 250-280 USD, then I would go for it.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 12
  Well you definitely won't be sacrificing sound quality for portability in the Momentum M2/2.0. 

I don't know if the Momentum M2's could be considered as an upgrade, but I definitely do like the sound of the M2's quite a bit more than my M50S. Much more of a laid back but intimate and still fun sounding on the M2's. The pads are also very comfortable for me, though they can get sweaty. 

If you can pick the M2's up for around 250-280 USD, then I would go for it.

Saw the M2's on Amazon for £180 earlier this week but it changed back to £220 within a day. Will keep an eye out. Thanks for the response. I'm definitely leaning towards the Sennheiser's.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 12
I originally had problems with the stock pads on the m50s. It had gotten word down so that my ear would touch the side of the headphone and would rub. I had gotten velour pads since, which are very comfortable. However, the sound isolation is not quiet as good as with the old pads, but the difference seems negligible, especially when compared to how comfortable they are now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OM06RG?keywords=m50%20earpads&qid=1455144176&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Feb 11, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 12
I think depending on your music taste the m2 could be a significant upgrade. It's quite laid back and much smoother in comparison to the m50x. I don't like the m2 for rock music at all, but on slower music it really shines. The soundstage is good and the treble is among the best I've tried.

Perhaps you could also look into the msr7. Imho it's better for mid-centric vocal music.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 12
The bass in my M50's can sometimes be quite overpowering too. How's the bass on the Momentum's?

The bass is a lot thicker on the M2's. I honestly don't really hear how the bass on the M50 is overpowering/muddy. Just had a quick listening to my M50 yesterday and I'm still very confused on why people are bagging on them.

If the bass on the M50 is overpowering then the M2's are a bass monster.

Feb 11, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 12
The bass is a lot thicker on the M2's. I honestly don't really hear how the bass on the M50 is overpowering/muddy. Just had a quick listening to my M50 yesterday and I'm still very confused on why people are bagging on them.

If the bass on the M50 is overpowering then the M2's are a bass monster.

IHaha to be honest I've never had a problem with them before, but was listening yesterday and I could really notice it on a few songs. This could just be down to certain tracks not being mixed/mastered properly though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back