ATH-M50X VS Low Budget IEMs for Metal
Aug 14, 2018 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ruebezahl

New Head-Fier
This comparison is already posted in german "hifi-forum", but I thought you might be interested, too, so you'll get a translated version of more or less the same text.

So, I started a while ago with the search for some nice IEMs for metal. I already have the ATH-M50X which I really like (except the ear pads, which totally suck), so I thought, well, maybe something in that style would be cool. I was told, that KZ IEMs are often quiet nice for the money, I had 2 pairs of Philips SHE IEMs and I bought one used pair of Havi B3 Pro1s. At the end, the test was ATH-M50X VS:

- Havi B3 Pro1
- Philips SHE8000
- Philips SHE8100 (an old version. They still excist but look a bit different now)
- KZ ATE
- KZ ZST
- KZ ED16/ZS7

To make it more short, as it is in the german version, here are the songs I've used. All tracks are in MP3 320kbit format, some of them are played with an Acer Notebook and some of them with my Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime. No DAC or anything else, no EQ, but the Xiaomi with the built-in "Mi Sound Enhacer" and the setting "general in-ear".

The tracks:
Gojira - Where Dragons Dwell (notebook)
Elder - Compendium (notebook)
Moanaa - Sunset Growing Old (notebook)
Kauan - IV (from the Pirut album) (phone)
Devin Townsend Project - Grace (phone)
Rainbow - Stargazer (phone)

The Philips SHE8000 made horrible sibilants, so they were out after the first song.
Havi B3 Pro1 and SHE8100 are more on the neutral side, both with nice details, but I have the feeling that the Havi IEMs "show" more details, but that's more a feeling than something, that I really can describe. They sound very nice in every song and don't give the feeling of having "too much" or "too less" of anything. Nothing is missing, so I'm quiet happy. We are speaking about the first 5 tracks, Rainbow's Stargazer will get an extra point.
ATE and ZST are one the same level soundwise. Sometimes the ATE has a bit more "bottom", but they both have the problem, that it feels, like they have a pronounced subbass, but just to a deep point and everything else is quiet flat, where I always miss something. There is a dark grumble, but instead of having all the depths a bit on the plus side, its just a small area... and I have a problem with it. Not when listening to the IEMs on their own, but when comparing them to others, it is quiet noticeable.
The ED16 are quiet one the same stage like the M50X. They both have a little pronounced bass, very detailed sounding and I really like it, but when you want something neutral, they won't be the best choice. Everything the M50X does, is the same way at the ED16, very impressive, like the Havi B3 Pro, but with are different type of sounding. The ED16 more on the fun side, the B3 Pro more on the neutral side. Damn cool!

But then I played Stargazer and I have to tell you, I was a bit shocked, because the M50X and the ED16 failed. Why? Well, the Bass "plus" is a bit too much for my taste and both headphones have also a plus on the cymbals, which is annoying. The ATE/KST are less on the bottom-plus, but even more peaks at the cymbals, which really hurts. At that song the Havi B3 Pro1 and the SHE8100 made the best job by far. This song changed the results for me a lot... For me, the best "working horse" are the Havi B3 Pro1, the SHE8100 comes on 2nd place, a bit less detailed (maybe just a feeling...) and on 3rd place the ED16, which are perfect for modern produced metal, but for more vintage recordings, I guess you can't do anything wrong with the B3 Pro1s.

So at all, I'm very happy with these IEMs, when you have some IEMs in mind, that will do a nice job in playing metal and don't cost more than let's say 50-60€, maybe I'll check them out, but not against all the IEMs on the list. I guess a comparison against the Havi B3 Pro 1 and the ED16 will do the job. The SHE don't make sense, because they sound very much the same like the Havi, but a bit less detailed (which is maybe something my brain is telling me).

So, that's my first test here on head-fi and I hope, you'll like it or/and it helps you.:beerchug:

Cheers
Chris

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, seems like the SHE8100 are SHE9100... I have them for years now, don't have the original package anymore and the little sign that shows the name is close to unreadable.

And some more words about the ED16: I have a hate/love story with them. The most stuff I'm listening to (in shuffle mode) sounds very nice, but there are records (let's say 1/10) where the hi hats/other percussion instruments in that frequency range/sibilants are too much. Not painful, but very close and too much for my taste. So while listening to music and the song is ending I hope for having one, that sounds nice. That's a big bummer :/

Cheers

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 3
So, here is a little update from myself, because some stuff has changed:
- I have modded the ATE (removing the red mesh material) and the ZST (Slater Mod), also I have sold the ED16 because after about a week I found the peaks in the highs too annoying to keep them
- I got a pair of Audio Technica IM50
- I got a pair of NuForce 800M for around 12€ incl shipping in used condition from german ebay
- I bought a few KZ Starline tips in L Size, because I really like their fit/comfort

The IM50s.. well, I have a problem to get used to them. The isolation isn't very good and they seem to be a bit bitchy with audio sources. Their build quality is very good, but the sound.. well, sometimes I like it, sometimes I'm more on the "shocked" side, if this makes any sense. They also have somewhere in the highs a peak, that I don't like that much. Specially when playing modernish (Post) Black Metal, that isn't recorded as bad as the old norwegian stuff, the guitars and the screams can sound badly and it feels like the IM50s have a problem with this kind of music, or I have a problem how they work with this kind of music :D
But I'm still trying to get used to them, maybe with the few tips, that I've ordered via Aliexpress this week. If not, they have to got. I'm quiet sure I already spended enough time getting used to them and I wouldn't have done it, when they weren't made that well.

The NuForce 800M arrived today, as I said in used condition, so I put Starline tips on and played through some music. It isn't the neutral sound, that I'm looking for listening to music at home, but it is the perfect IEM for going to gym. I wouldn't say the 800M has a V shape, it is more that it pushes the bass, but nothing more... and this plus in the lower tunes isn't too much, it isn't muddy... I don't have the feeling of missing anything or having too much of something... Very very cool sounding, I really like it and don't have the feeling, that I will come to the point, where something is annoying, but we will see. They are comfortable to wear, small, light, good looking with these carbon/brass design... the only downside for me is the cable, that isn't changable and feels a bit like the stock KZ cables... The 800M can handle Metal as well as bands like The Prodigy... A IEM that makes a lot of fun.. and that for around 12€... I would do it again :D Ah yes.. the isolation isn't something, where the 800M is very strong.. noises from the cable aren't very noticeable when wearing the IEM over the ear...

The Havi B3 Pro1 is still my favorite IEM at the moment, specially after I tried the Starline tips on it and have the feeling, that the lows got a tiny little "plus". I think I have to find something with a neutral sound design without any annoying highs for listening to music at home, but there are 2 chifi IEMs on the way and well, I have some interest in a few higher priced IEMs like ER3XR, FH5 or something like that.. At the moment I'm very happy with the 800M and the Havi and can't wait to get my hands on the next IEMs :)

Guess I have to remod the ATE, to remove the peak in the highs. The ZST is very enjoyable with the Slater Mod and the SHE8100.. well, I haven't listened to them for a while...

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back