ATH-M50x alternative with more bass but equal quality
Jun 29, 2014 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

typhoon838

Head-Fier
Hello,

What I'm about to ask, I've already written elsewhere, so I'm just going to copy and paste my various forum posts here. If it looks a bit weird, that's why.

I'd like a portable, closed/isolating (don't leak noise), very comfortable aggressive-sounding pair of headphones that I can wear in public without looking silly, along with being easy to drive.

Noise leakage - self explanatory.

Comfortable - I have a big head. So I guess that should be taken into account. I owned v-moda crossfade LPs at one point and the comfort was atrocious. My ears felt like they were being crammed inside an area far too small - there was too much contact. So I'd like to avoid anything like that. M50s, MDR7520, and the V-Modas with XL pads = good. V-modas without xl pads = bad.

Sound signature - I mentioned aggressive, and I think that's what I want. I listen to hard rock, metal, metalcore (more commonly incorrectly referred to as screamo), and electronic. I've been told that what I'm looking for is a v-shaped sound signature, so the drums and bass hit hard and the guitar is prominent. What I know for sure is that I don't want headphones that sound relaxing or laid back. I want exciting and crisp. I want them to attack my ears and get me pumped and in to the music. All with minimal negative effect on the quality, of course.

I'll be using these straight with my Galaxy Note 3 and laptop, so easy to drive is a must.

I've owned V-moda Crossfade LPs (hated because of the fit, and the music just sounded muddy and bloated), Panasonic RP-HTF600-S (they sounded boring and I couldn't get in to the music unless I EQ'd the crap out of them, and they leaked noise), and the Sony MDR-7520 (They sounded good I guess, just not $350 good. Had to EQ to get them to sound how I wanted. They also weren't great in terms of portability.)

I recently purchased a bunch more headphones and am returning all but one. Here's a summary of the headphones I own and why I don't like/like them.

Panasonic RP-HTF600-S - Dislike. Boring sound, not enough bass, didn't sound very high quality sound wise, and leaked tons of noise. No removable cable.

V-Moda Crossfade LP - dislike. Muddy, crowded sound. Comfort was bad but it could be fixed with XL pads. Didn't sound very high quality either.

V-Moda m100 - sort of like, but returning. Crowded sound, slightly muddy. Good bass impact but didn't feel separate from the rest of the frequencies. Too expensive for the quality of sound they delivered.

Sony MDR-7520 - dislike. Too boring of a sound signature, not nearly enough bass. Extremely expensive.

Ultrasone HFI-580 - Liked, but returning. The sound signature was pretty good, and separation was okay but not as good as m50x. No removable cable (deal breaker).

ATH-m50x - Like and might be keeping. AMAZING separation. This is what I feel like high end headphones should sound like. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's separation or soundstage, but what I mean is that I can hear everything distinctly, there's a very nice reverb on drums, and even though the bass is a little light on more crowded songs, it's prominent than it otherwise would be because it's so distinct from the mids. They leak a little noise, however, and when at a volume I like, the highs are a little piercing.

So, basically, my point is, for me, the m50s ARE king. Someone prove me wrong. A little more bass, a little less piercing highs, and a little more isolation would be perfect, as long as it doesn't sacrifice that amazing "thing" that sounds so good in these compared to the V-Modas. I think it's separation but it might be soundstage. Hell, it might be distortion for all I know. Does something exist to fit my needs?

Specifics I'm looking at:
ATH PRO700 MK2 or Beyer DT-770/880, some other Ultrasone...maybe the MDR-V6? I'm not really sure what else is out there.

Tl;dr: I want something similar or better than to the M50s in terms of quality and signature but with more bass and highs that don't dominate the song/make my head hurt at high volumes. Removable cable and minimal leakage is a must.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 19
770s destroy the M50s/X in my opinion 
They will have highs , a bit accentuated .....but they will not have the harsh , grainy treble like ATs and they will give some good Sub-Bass extension , fidelity wise Beyers are way above 

Jun 29, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 19
Keep in mind with the Beyer 770s you will need an AMP unlike your M50x. You can always use an equalizer to increase bass and lower the more piercing high frequencies.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 19
They will have highs , a bit accentuated .....but they will not have the harsh , grainy treble like ATs and they will give some good Sub-Bass extension , fidelity wise Beyers are way above 

The treble is more laid back on the m50x. They have the same driver but they made housing improvements

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 19
Theres also the yamaha pro 500
http://www.head-fi.org/t/628488/yamaha-pro-headphones
according to that thread, it has a bigger soundstage than the akg k550 which has a huge soundstage for a closed can (or at least thats what other head fi ers say)
my only concern is comfort for a person with a big head
eh...

Jul 24, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #10 of 19

I think you should know that the new M50x does not have the harsh grainy treble anymore. I doubt you have even tried it. The treble is now remarkably clean and is way better than u should expect for the price. using measurements the M50x does not have the huge 10kHz peak of the M50 which explains the less piercing sounding treble.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 19
I think you should know that the new M50x does not have the harsh grainy treble anymore. I doubt you have even tried it. The treble is now remarkably clean and is way better than u should expect for the price. using measurements the M50x does not have the huge 10kHz peak of the M50 which explains the less piercing sounding treble.

I have not hear the M50x, but I'm not convinced based on what I have read that there is any significant difference. Some people say that they hear it; some don't. We went through the same thing on Head-Fi about white box vs blue box M50s. Could just be production run differences.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 19
I own the Sony MDR-1RBT Mk2 and love the sound they produce. Those are the bluetooth version, which I've heard is slightly different from the wired, but similar. Rich bass (more impact, about the same extension as M50s), with plenty of detail up top and easy to drive. In my opinion, better than the M50s in every way. They are a little more laid back but still detailed. In terms of separation and soundstage (pretty incredible for a closed can) they are definitely in a class above the M50s. What really sets them apart is comfort. The 1RBTs are easily the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. If you can, give them a listen. Or at least put them on just to feel those pads.

If you don't mind overpaying, a lot, maybe check out the new Beats Studios. I received them as a gift and for on the go use, they are easily better than the M50s. Definitely fit your requirements, aggressive in your face sound, good bass, forward highs, decent separation (as good as M50s), easy to drive, comfortable. They have a few downsides though: PRICE, small/nonexistent soundstage, audible hiss from active NC, you'll look like a tool. If you can get over most of those, maybe give them a try.

Also look into the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro or the MrSpeakers Mad Dog.

Edit: formatting

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #13 of 19
I like the TakStar Pro80''s. In your budget but unsure about the bass needs being met.

Jul 24, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 19
Cel4145, both Headroom and Tyll measurements show better bass extension and treble. The bass roll off less and is really flat into the subbass.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #15 of 19

Well if that is true then good , because change was highly needed .....But they will never have the Beyer fidelity 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back