ATH-M50's don't sound that much better than white apple earbuds?
Jan 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #32 of 54
  original pair was bought from amazon.com. Not exactly a place where cheapos buy things. I was unaware of the whole authorized/unauthorized dealer thing at the time

Actually if they're not FULFILLED by amazon, there's a lot of fakes. I've gotten a few. Did you read the article I posted a page back about fakes? Apparently ATH-M50s are a very commonly faked headphone.

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #33 of 54
  Actually if they're not FULFILLED by amazon, there's a lot of fakes. I've gotten a few. Did you read the article I posted a page back about fakes? Apparently ATH-M50s are a very commonly faked headphone.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #36 of 54
Well, if both are real, I'd suggest that you should send them back while you still can. Keep the money for a better pair of headphones then, because I do agree that you'll start noticing a difference at the $300-400 range. For example, I feel that the M50s don't have as much clarity as a pair of DT880s, not to mention a difference in comfort.

But as others have said, an amp would definitely help you get more out of your setup. My M50s sound better with my WA6 connected to my desktop, as opposed to straight out of my phone. The difference here isn't night and day, but they sound more lively and fun when properly amped. Just my two cents, YMMV.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #37 of 54
  Well, if both are real, I'd suggest that you should send them back while you still can. Keep the money for a better pair of headphones then, because I do agree that you'll start noticing a difference at the $300-400 range. For example, I feel that the M50s don't have as much clarity as a pair of DT880s, not to mention a difference in comfort.

But as others have said, an amp would definitely help you get more out of your setup. My M50s sound better with my WA6 connected to my desktop, as opposed to straight out of my phone. The difference here isn't night and day, but they sound more lively and fun when properly amped. Just my two cents, YMMV.

Any suggestions on a good amp for these? One that would bring the best out of the m50s, without buying more than I need

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #38 of 54
  Any suggestions on a good amp for these? One that would bring the best out of the m50s, without buying more than I need

Almost any low end amp or even better lowish end DAC/Amp will help give you a better output. I use a NuForce uDAC3 and with low impedence / high sensitivity headphones like ATH-M50 it's plenty. It brings my Senn HD280Pros alive. I also am quite liberal with applying moderate digital EQ to the 280s which also brings them alive. Vocals and instruments that are lost in the background seem to move right up front.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #39 of 54
A combination which seems to be decent value (I don't have them, but I may get the Modi) would be the Schiit Magni and Modi combination. You should look at an external DAC because it's less likely to be influenced by noise from your computer. The combination is $200, and seems to be quite value-for-money. You should still do some research on which ones would best suit your purpose (there should be many threads on this subject), and then decide which is best for you.

For your reference on the M/M combo, here's a link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/640774/this-schiit-is-bananas-99-schiit-magni-amp-and-99-modi-dac

Hope it helps!

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #40 of 54
An amp will not. I repeat, WILL NOT drastically or even moderately change the way your headphones sound especially at the lower tiers. I always say this on other threads: if you don't like how your headphone sounds unamped, you wont like them them even if its paired with its perfect soulmate amp/DAC combo. They will not transform your headphones into something else. In the end, an amplifier is just an amplifier, not an equalizer. Reviews/opinions on how amps sounds tend to be a bit, if not a lot, more overblown than headphones.

If you're gonna get an amp for your phones, I suggest returning the m50s and use your entire budget (including amp/DAC money) solely on a better pair of cans. But if you're gonna do this, definitely ask around for suggestions

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #41 of 54
An amp will not. I repeat, WILL NOT drastically or even moderately change the way your headphones sound especially at the lower tiers. I always say this on other threads: if you don't like how your headphone sounds unamped, you wont like them them even if its paired with its perfect soulmate amp/DAC combo. They will not transform your headphones into something else. In the end, an amplifier is just an amplifier, not an equalizer. Reviews/opinions on how amps sounds tend to be a bit, if not a lot, more overblown than headphones.

If you're gonna get an amp for your phones, I suggest returning the m50s and use your entire budget (including amp/DAC money) solely on a better pair of cans. But if you're gonna do this, definitely ask around for suggestions

Thanks. That's good to know.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #42 of 54
An amp will not. I repeat, WILL NOT drastically or even moderately change the way your headphones sound especially at the lower tiers. I always say this on other threads: if you don't like how your headphone sounds unamped, you wont like them them even if its paired with its perfect soulmate amp/DAC combo.

I respectfully disagree. The SQ of my HD280s is much better from a low power DAC/Amp. Same goes for a friend's borrowed ATH-M50. Bass was much cleaner and less muddy. Overall sound was just noticeably better. Now with $30 headphones who knows. But ATH-M50s / HD280Pros / DT250s / MDR 7506 etc are all much better sounding with a good DAC.

It won't magically trasnform headphones you hate into great headphones tho.

Edited to add I'd be more interested in what a little bit of EQing might accomplish here.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #43 of 54
I respectfully disagree. The SQ of my HD280s is much better from a low power DAC/Amp. Same goes for a friend's borrowed ATH-M50. Bass was much cleaner and less muddy. Overall sound was just noticeably better. Now with $30 headphones who knows. But ATH-M50s / HD280Pros / DT250s / MDR 7506 etc are all much better sounding with a good DAC.

It won't magically trasnform headphones you hate into great headphones tho.

Edited to add I'd be more interested in what a little bit of EQing might accomplish here.

For the money, and especially at the low/mid-fi range, a better headphone will provide a lot more results. I can argue that a hifiman he- 400 and the philips fidelio x1 by themselves sounds much better than an m50 with a 300 dollar amp/DAC stack.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #44 of 54
For the money, and especially at the low/mid-fi range, a better headphone will provide a lot more results. I can argue that a hifiman he- 400 and the philips fidelio x1 by themselves sounds much better than an m50 with a 300 dollar amp/DAC stack.

I think the important thing is to get headphones that match the listener's desires. I.e. if they like EDM they shouldn't be buying relatively flat studio monitors, and if they like classical music they shouldn't be getting bass monsters. And that's pretty easy to accomplish in the sub $300 range.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #45 of 54

^^ QFT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back