ATH-M50's don't sound that much better than white apple earbuds?
Jan 4, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #17 of 54
I found the newer apple earbuds to be much much better than the old ones; they stopped working after 6 months though lol.

If you studied it really well, then they probably aren't fake. It might just be that you expected too much from all the hype. You'll know for sure when the second pair comes, and will have to wait until then.

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #18 of 54
With great expectation comes disappointment. Not all the time, but it happens a lot.

That's why my expectations for anything, movies, music albums, shows etc... Are usually low, so I rarely get disappointed. :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #19 of 54
Plug in other headphones to the receiver and see if they have the same issue.
I always find 'upgrading' isn't as noticeable as downgrading. Try out the better gear for a week or so until you're used to it, then go back to the worse gear and you'll see the difference.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #20 of 54
My guess is that you were expecting too significant of an improvement.  True audiophiles are able to perceive much more subtle differences in sound quality than can most people (like me).  I don't think there is a HUGE difference in sound quality between the HD 439 and DT 880, for instance.  People on this site use phrases like "night and day" for things I can barely notice.  Having said that, did you do any direct comparisons (such as switching headphones as quickly as possible) before you returned the M50?  In any case, you will know for sure when the second pair arrives.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 54
    Having said that, did you do any direct comparisons (such as switching headphones as quickly as possible) before you returned the M50?  

yes i would listen to about 20 seconds of a song with one headphone, then switch headphones and start again from the same point in the song. Even adjusted the volumes each time because the m50's were quieter than the earpods at the same volume setting on the computer.

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #22 of 54
Hello there! I have a pair of M50s, which I'm using as my portable headphones.

As strange as this may sound, different songs can affect how you perceive your headphones. In my own experience, I have felt that certain albums sound much, much better over others. I'd recommend that you explore all the low-cost/no-cost fixes first, and see if that changes your mind about your 50s.

I'm mentioning this because I feel that you're looking for some special quality which your new cans have, but your old ear buds don't. After you find this, I think that you'll be more satisfied with them 
biggrin.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong though, since I'm new here!

Jan 10, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #24 of 54
Jan 10, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #26 of 54
Or you got fakes twice. Not likely. Read this link. If your ear pads don't meet then they're fakes. Otherwise yeah, you might just not be able to hear an audible difference between the two. I certainly can, but everybody hears things differently.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 54

Do they still suck with your Yamaha?

yep. I don't know why. The thing is only like 5 years old and the headphone jack has never been used.

I do notice a much bigger difference between the earpods and m50s after using the m50s for a week (one month return policy). I guess all the hype over them lead me to assume that going from buds to cans would be like a whole new way of hearing music.

Jan 11, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #28 of 54
Do give the m50s some time. But perhaps it doesn't have the sound you're looking for? IMO night and day differences start at the 300 to 400 price range (when compared to cheap stuff)

Jan 11, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #29 of 54
Do give the m50s some time. But perhaps it doesn't have the sound you're looking for? IMO night and day differences start at the 300 to 400 price range (when compared to cheap stuff)

Yeah I think the issue is that i'm just a floor speaker guy at heart. I somehow expected cans to be as "fun" as floor speakers, but with extra clarity. (comparing these to a pair of Bowers/Wilkins loudspeakers.) The only reason i looked into cans is because i still live with my parents, otherwise i'd be saving up for floorspeakers. My parents don't want to hear my "European sex music".

Is this european sex music? haha  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lUiL32nc_I

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #30 of 54
You got fakes my dude, and it's your fault for purchasing them through a fake retailer.

These headphones have been around for a WHILE and that means a lot of companies making fakes for $$$.

I have them right now and I am AMAZED at how much better they sound as compared to my old Klipsch Image X10's. Also you mentioned you don't have a DAC? You should get one because your computers DAC is probably trash, no offense just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back