ATH M50
Aug 29, 2009 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Cpsmith89

New Head-Fier
Im looking at this phone for mainly Techno, Classical and Reggae.

I mainly listen to Techno (Daft Punk, Deadmau5, etc). I dont want punching bass but i want very good details. I also listen to Classical and Dub Reggae (similar to Sublime). So i am looking to be able to hear every single detail crisply. Bass guitar is also present and i want that to shine but not at the cost of the highs and lows. I have read alot of reviews and comparisons but none with my music choice.

If the Denon D1001's would be a better choice for me then please say so.

Any places that you guys would recommend with the lowest price? Maybe a coupon code?

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 7
I can only comment on the ATH-M50 for classical music: For this it would not be my first choice because it has very little stage. If you listen mainly to chamber music it might be ok for you - but IMO for orchestra music it is more difficult.
But bass and highs are rather clear with this HP - I find the mids a bit back. But this is all in comparison to my grados, where I find the mids very nice.
Hope this helps.

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 7
I like Daft Punk out of the M50

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Got a pair of very burnt-in ATH-M50!!
dt880smile.png

Very bassy

Creamy lowmids and mids, but the mids sometimes are recessed

Coloured on highs (I'd say: pink and orange) (I'm not joking)

Not much present on very highs

Very little and flat headstage (no air!)

So... Very easy to pilot, do not need any kind of amp (or else they need a very SILENT one!!!) very good for electronic and for compressed music maybe, often involving but too much unrealistic sometimes!

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 7
I have a FIIO E3 portable amp ill be using but mainly just being plugged into my laptop unamped.

Man these are different reviews then what i have read, Do you guys think the Denon D1001's would be a better choice for my type of music?

Budget is 110.00

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
I can only comment on the ATH-M50 for classical music: For this it would not be my first choice because it has very little stage. If you listen mainly to chamber music it might be ok for you - but IMO for orchestra music it is more difficult.
But bass and highs are rather clear with this HP - I find the mids a bit back. But this is all in comparison to my grados, where I find the mids very nice.
Hope this helps.

I agree, wouldn't use for classical and I do find the mids are a little covered up by the bass.

Quote:
Got a pair of very burnt-in ATH-M50!!
dt880smile.png

Very bassy

Creamy lowmids and mids, but the mids sometimes are recessed

Coloured on highs (I'd say: pink and orange) (I'm not joking)

Not much present on very highs

Very little and flat headstage (no air!)

So... Very easy to pilot, do not need any kind of amp (or else they need a very SILENT one!!!) very good for electronic and for compressed music maybe, often involving but too much unrealistic sometimes!

Agree with mids recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back