ATH-M50 vs ultrasone hfi 780
Jun 27, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 11
Ive own the M50s and some Ultrasone HFI550s, for your purpose the I would go to with the m50s they sound better straight out of an ipod or whatever, the ultrasones are better but need an amp or a really good source to sound better than the m50s , oh and the M50s are so comfortable
jecklinsmile.gif
both of thee fold up and come with bags.

Im selling both of mine since Im going with some open ultrasones if your interested you can cehck out the ads in the FS thread
smile_phones.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Go with the M50, I'm using my pair straight out of an iPOD and they sound excellent. In comparison, the M50 has the better midrange (at least unamped), the 780 tends to sound rather lean in the mids.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 11
I own the 780s. They are definitely lean in the mids compared to my k240 but they are much better than my a500s. My biggest issue with the 780s is the treble can get a little crazy with some songs. The bass is nice. The headphone is big, but it folds up. I take it to the library when I study, they sound fine straight out the iPod. It is much too unstable to be an "active" type phone (at least on my head). They also take forever to burn-in.

I can't say too much about the M-50 but it seems that most around here like it at its price point. Go with whatever is cheaper.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 11
M-50's maintain their sound signature driven from an iPod. Very sturdy and compact with extremely good isolation even with background din on a plane. No comment on the Ultrasone -- no experience there.

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 11
I kinda prefer HFI-780 as portable, granted I used my friend's M50 around school for only a few hours. But I like 780's build quality and folding capability. you can just fold it, throw it into your backpack (though I never do that, just because).

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmednInsane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kinda prefer HFI-780 as portable, granted I used my friend's M50 around school for only a few hours. But I like 780's build quality and folding capability. you can just fold it, throw it into your backpack (though I never do that, just because).

From what source / amp? FWIR, both of these headphones fold up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back