Ath-m50 vs Shure srh440 vs Philips Uptown (Help me make the right choice please...)
Jul 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #32 of 49
Well... 

Uptowns excluded due to all the problems...
Shure excluded due to being identycal to my v6's (with less bass then the v6)
M50's excluded due to being also identycal to my v6's.... (with more bass than the v6 but less mids and highs)

I think i am really gonna give uo headphones for a while and just get something better later (or maybe just stick to what i have while it lasts...)...

Too bad that the m50's are not really that good... i was really close of getting them when i saw them at 99 euros,.. Really thought they would be an upgrade....

Is it true that although being bright. the m50's highs seem veiled compared to the v6's/7506?

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #34 of 49
So ridiculous. Pedro . . . why do you listen to these guys? your ears grow by experience. How can that happen if you don't experience it by yourself. Everyone here will recommend you his favorite phone, there's no neutrality here, this is hype fi , everyone hypes his own favorite  -____-

CAL and V6 the same quality as SRH440 and M50? Guys . . . .for real? The Shure blow them all away. Cal, V6, M50, none of them has even a chance against the shure. Even the uptown is better than m50s, larger soundstage etc. The shure has much more resolution than those, much more details, better (cleaner & controlled) bass and and and.

Pedro, make the deal, buy the shure and uptown, they are completely different than V6 and M50. They sound completely different. V6 and M50s are similiar. M50 = Muddy/muffled with harsh highs. Buy the shure and uptown and if you like both, its good. If you don't like them i'll buy them from you. Thats how confident i am, that you'll like them . . . because they're good. They are MUCH better, than what you own right now. If you can buy only one, i would go with the shure.

@People . . . guys . . . not everyone wants to join the hype fi stax club. Pedro said he can't spend that much money . . . but you guys continue telling him to save up 200 bucks just to buy some crazy ****, not because its better . . . only because its your favorites :-/  For real? You all should be ashamed. I mean, the shure and uptown are by no means superhighfi cans, but remarkably better than v6 or m50. And the CAL? What? The Cal is a joke of a can. CAL vs Shure? really? No big difference, no upgrade? OMG i can't believe i'm discussing such a stuff.

Even a superlux 681 is better than CAL & M50s. 20 Bucks can. Most hyped Myth-Cans ever. Very, very much NOSTALGIA-recommendations here, its 2013 people! M50s, CAL and V6 are classics, thats good and OK. But you should not make them better than they are. Today, there is much better stuff for that prices. Has any of you even compared a shure vs m50 side by side? I can't believe you guys are writing such stuff. I'm disapointed.

Nov 14, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #35 of 49
So ridiculous. Pedro . . . why do you listen to these guys? your ears grow by experience. How can that happen if you don't experience it by yourself. Everyone here will recommend you his favorite phone, there's no neutrality here, this is hype fi , everyone hypes his own favorite  -____-

CAL and V6 the same quality as SRH440 and M50? Guys . . . .for real? The Shure blow them all away. Cal, V6, M50, none of them has even a chance against the shure. Even the uptown is better than m50s, larger soundstage etc. The shure has much more resolution than those, much more details, better (cleaner & controlled) bass and and and.

Pedro, make the deal, buy the shure and uptown, they are completely different than V6 and M50. They sound completely different. V6 and M50s are similiar. M50 = Muddy/muffled with harsh highs. Buy the shure and uptown and if you like both, its good. If you don't like them i'll buy them from you. Thats how confident i am, that you'll like them . . . because they're good. They are MUCH better, than what you own right now. If you can buy only one, i would go with the shure.

@People . . . guys . . . not everyone wants to join the hype fi stax club. Pedro said he can't spend that much money . . . but you guys continue telling him to save up 200 bucks just to buy some crazy ****, not because its better . . . only because its your favorites :-/  For real? You all should be ashamed. I mean, the shure and uptown are by no means superhighfi cans, but remarkably better than v6 or m50. And the CAL? What? The Cal is a joke of a can. CAL vs Shure? really? No big difference, no upgrade? OMG i can't believe i'm discussing such a stuff.

Even a superlux 681 is better than CAL & M50s. 20 Bucks can. Most hyped Myth-Cans ever. Very, very much NOSTALGIA-recommendations here, its 2013 people! M50s, CAL and V6 are classics, thats good and OK. But you should not make them better than they are. Today, there is much better stuff for that prices. Has any of you even compared a shure vs m50 side by side? I can't believe you guys are writing such stuff. I'm disapointed.

Thanks natsukawa... Theres no nerd for you to get upset though... :)
I already mover up meanwhile... I still havê the cal! because of the comfort, i have owned the m50 And sold them... Too big, lacking mids.... Not bad, bit not for me. Now i own a pair of momentums And a pair of hd25s. :)

I can still get the shures And the uptowns, but with my current headphones probably theres no need to get them anymore... :)

I AM thinking in a pair of amperiora, ue6000, 1r or k550 though...:)

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #36 of 49
Hehe, so you already leveled up ;D Yeah, the Momentun is really Nice, the uptown can't compete wit that. But i think, the shure sounds even better than the momentum ;D But i like the Momentum, such a nice can for the outside <3 The Shure may sound better, but the Momentum is far more comfortable. Good Choice ;D

By the way, do you live in Germany?

Greets from Berlin

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #37 of 49
  Hehe, so you already leveled up ;D Yeah, the Momentun is really Nice, the uptown can't compete wit that. But i think, the shure sounds even better than the momentum ;D But i like the Momentum, such a nice can for the outside <3 The Shure may sound better, but the Momentum is far more comfortable. Good Choice ;D

By the way, do you live in Germany?

Greets from Berlin

Portugal, Porto. :)

I wasnt looking for the momentums, the amperiors always caught my eye a bit more, but when a store here in Portugal dropped the price of the over ear momentums from 299 to 160 i had to get one. The seal, the fit and the confort are not very easy but i have to admit they are the best sounding pair of headphones i ever tried. :)

Actually i have a pending deal with a german from munchen. :) Thinking of getting a pair of amperiors but i am still trying to figure out if it is worth giving up my hd25's and a bit more money for a pair of amperiors.....

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #38 of 49
Your decision, try it, if you don't like it, then you're not an amp guy XD Some think Headphones benefit very much from amps, some think the difference is not so big. If you don't test it yourself, you will always think about it and you'll be curious . . . "what IF...." . . . your head will ache , so try it and experience it for yourself. Its so much fun to try out and compare ;D

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #39 of 49
  Your decision, try it, if you don't like it, then you're not an amp guy XD Some think Headphones benefit very much from amps, some think the difference is not so big. If you don't test it yourself, you will always think about it and you'll be curious . . . "what IF...." . . . your head will ache , so try it and experience it for yourself. Its so much fun to try out and compare ;D

But it's also expensive.... too damn expensive... In less than a year i already bought, akg k518, sony mdr v6, creative aurvana live!, ath-m50, sennheiser momentum and now the hd25-1 II's.... XD V6's i gave them to my girlfriend, the k518's and the m50's i sold them and right now i have the cal!'s the momentums and the hd25s. I am thinking of selling the cal's, they are the most confortable headphone i have evere tried and those pads are like clouds, but in terms os sound quality and versatility the momentums do whatever the cal!'s do and much more.

My last decision now is to decide either if i make i momentum/hd25 or a momentum/amperior duo.... I thought of getting the hd598's instead of the momentums because of fthe fit seal issues but since i also dont want to be depending on a amp i think i am going to stick with the momentums because i can take them wherever and they will sound amazing and loud enough on any source.... As you can see i like smaller, more versatyle and portable headphones... :) Also thought of the brown/silver mdr 1r because to me they are even more beautifull than the momentums but it seems they dont stand a chance against the momentums in sq.... at least thats what MANY people told me (unfortunately i never tried the sonys....)

(the 1r's only are better on soundstage, also the momentums almost has none soundstage....)

After this i am done with headphones for a loooooooooong time...... gotta make money for a ps4... XD

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #40 of 49
I gotta say . . . if you are someone, who uses his headphone at Home AND outside, i would keep the Momentum. Its a beautiful Phone with good sound. I have the 1R, it doesn't stand a chance against the Momentum, not the slightest ;D The Sonys sound very veiled/muffled. The good thing i like about them is (and the same goes for the Sony MDR-ZX700):

- they seal good
- they are extremely comfortable (most comfortable portables i've ever head)
- .....so....stylish... *___*
- they are extremely good to Equalize! You can get almost every sound you want out of them with an EQ.

. . . but out of the box without EQ, they are one of the most bad sounding cans i've heard so far. muffled, veiled, no details, no space, no soundstage, boring, no life. Momentum is Godlike in comparison. If you ever have the chance, you should try an SRH440 with 840 Pads, or better directly an SRH840. You'll love it. The DT Series of Beyerdynamic is also very, very good (t1, T90 & DT-880 is my Favorite among them. DT-770 is also good.) If i were you . . . i would sell all of them, keep the momentum for the outside and buy one of the Beyers for Home Use. Skip the amp xD A good soundcard is enough. You can still buy an amp another time ;D

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #41 of 49
  I gotta say . . . if you are someone, who uses his headphone at Home AND outside, i would keep the Momentum. Its a beautiful Phone with good sound. I have the 1R, it doesn't stand a chance against the Momentum, not the slightest ;D The Sonys sound very veiled/muffled. The good thing i like about them is (and the same goes for the Sony MDR-ZX700):

- they seal good
- they are extremely comfortable (most comfortable portables i've ever head)
- .....so....stylish... *___*
- they are extremely good to Equalize! You can get almost every sound you want out of them with an EQ.

. . . but out of the box without EQ, they are one of the most bad sounding cans i've heard so far. muffled, veiled, no details, no space, no soundstage, boring, no life. Momentum is Godlike in comparison. If you ever have the chance, you should try an SRH440 with 840 Pads, or better directly an SRH840. You'll love it. The DT Series of Beyerdynamic is also very, very good (t1, T90 & DT-880 is my Favorite among them. DT-770 is also good.) If i were you . . . i would sell all of them, keep the momentum for the outside and buy one of the Beyers for Home Use. Skip the amp xD A good soundcard is enough. You can still buy an amp another time ;D

I like the momentums a lot but i think they excell better with rock, pop. With edm though the momentums are a bit too laidback in my opinion, thats why i wanna keep the hd25's or the amperiors, for edm they are just the way i like, fast, good and tight bass but clear sounding, i dont like muddy headphones. The k518 for example had amazing bass but everything else sounded muddy. Without the insert foams they got a lot better, but still the highs were too recessed... Thank you for saying that about the 1r's. That way i give up on the immediatly, they were one of my alternatives for the momentums. The momentums although being warm they remain clear and with vcery good resolution thats why i liked them so much. Besides the soundstage and the bad confort and seal the momentums sound amazing, a bit laidback sometimes, but the resolution more than compensates for that. Biffy clyro's gutars sound really well textured and smooth on them.

The 440's i gave up because many said they needed an amp and since i like edm a lot as well they did not have enough bass for me. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #42 of 49
They don't really need an amp imo. I use them as my portables when i'm outside, with my ipod & Galaxy s3. Cristal Clear, very tight bass and very very good soundstage & resolution for a closed can. I underestimated them. Before i knew them i had a SRH840. I sold them, because i think an SRH440 with 840 Pads sounds better then a 840. They sounds very very similar. If you have the opportunity to listen to them in a shop or so, don't hesitate  ;D  I sold all my other closed cans, because the cheap killed them all, even my momentum and my HD25s and a couple of others.

Time for some coffeeee, yummmy <3

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #43 of 49
  They don't really need an amp imo. I use them as my portables when i'm outside, with my ipod & Galaxy s3. Cristal Clear, very tight bass and very very good soundstage & resolution for a closed can. I underestimated them. Before i knew them i had a SRH840. I sold them, because i think an SRH440 with 840 Pads sounds better then a 840. They sounds very very similar. If you have the opportunity to listen to them in a shop or so, don't hesitate  ;D  I sold all my other closed cans, because the cheap killed them all, even my momentum and my HD25s and a couple of others.

Time for some coffeeee, yummmy <3

Oh... I didnt know you had the momentums and the hd25's as well.... What did you think of the momentums fit and seal?
Unfortunately i cant try the srh440's but i know i very cool guy who also as a pair and if i asked him he would sell me the shures for 40 euros no problem (no box, but he has all the acessories and they are in very good condition). The shures with the original pads are bad? Thay must at least have a little bit of bass... i just checked your profile and you like eletronica and progressive, its impossible to enjoy that without a bit of bass....

You never tried the amperiors or the akg k550's? I would like to hear someone compering the amperiors with the momentums and the hd25's...

Nov 15, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #44 of 49
I liked the Momentum, but they were a little bit too small for my ears, because i have a big head (I'm 1,90 Meters tall). But i really liked them because they were light and had a good seal and nice soundstage. However the 440s were clearer and with 840 pads they sealed better for me and were more comfortable because of bigger earpads. The 440 standard pads are not bad. In fact, i really like them....but if you ever try the 840 pads, you'll never return to the 440s. They are much softer (Protein Leather like) and they seal MUCH better. The difference in isolation & seal is crazy.

The 440s have, in my opinion, the perfect amount of bass. Its not basslight, as many users say. Before i bought them years ago . . . i was afraid to buy them beacuase...... of the neutrality and basslightness . . . because many people (even in german forums) said, that 440s have no bass and the 840 are more bass heavy etc. Well i have both i I can tell you the 440s have a tight, impactfull bass. They are much better suited for Progressive, Electronica, Pop, Metal etc. than the 840s. I use the 840s more for Instrumentals or Ethereal & Soundtracks. The rest will be handled by my 440s.
For me . . . a K400/401/500/501/601/701 is a neutral headphone. I have all of them and these cans are really neutral and basslight. Compare the 440s with these and you will be shocked. The 440s have the same amount of bass as my Superlux 681-B, and thats is not BASSLIGHT, thats just about right IMO. Let me tell you, you will not miss any bass, if you like the Momentums. For many people the Momentums are basslight too. I don't think thats the case, i like the Momentums bass.

Most people seem to like a blurred / wishy washy bass like m50s or many Sonys (XB Series). Problem on these iss that everything else loses contour. Details are gone, highs and mids are blurred and the clearity suffers too. I don't like bass like that. Bass should be BOOOM but tight. i wanna feel the impact, not the blurriness. The shure 440s have that. Ich have searched for monts for a closed can with these abilities. Except the 440s,  DT-770s, the momentums and maybe the Q40 Studiophile from M-Audio..... NO EVEN ONE OTHER CAN  satisfied me. Except those 4 they were all blurred and muffled/veiled.

My Order would be:

1) 440s & Dt770
2) Momentum
3) M-Audio Q40 (Maybe tooo bassy already, kickbass on 440s & DT-770 are much better)

You see it all comes down to what music you're listening to. A Guy who listens to 80% RNB/HipHp & Rap will tell you Momentum has no bass and XB700 etc is the way to goo. Someone who listens to Electronica, Metal/Progressive will tell you, that the Sony lacks detail and is tooo muffled and tooo bassy. Thats the problem in Forums . . . people recommend you headphones but they act out of their taste of music/genre and often you don't know, what music they are listening too.

Best example. A friend of mine wanted to buy a K701, because he has read soooo much good things about it in forums etc. He listens mostly to Metal, some Electronica and Punk. I told him . . . "Come over to my place and TEST it, before you buy it . . . i don't think that the K701 suits to your genres xD " . He came over . . . testet . . . you should have seen his face . . . he looked at me like a sad Donkey, who has no more water to drink xD. He favored the Q40 the most. BUt a week later he sold the Q40 and keeped the 440s as portables and the DT-770s for home use.

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #45 of 49
  I liked the Momentum, but they were a little bit too small for my ears, because i have a big head (I'm 1,90 Meters tall). But i really liked them because they were light and had a good seal and nice soundstage. However the 440s were clearer and with 840 pads they sealed better for me and were more comfortable because of bigger earpads. The 440 standard pads are not bad. In fact, i really like them....but if you ever try the 840 pads, you'll never return to the 440s. They are much softer (Protein Leather like) and they seal MUCH better. The difference in isolation & seal is crazy.

The 440s have, in my opinion, the perfect amount of bass. Its not basslight, as many users say. Before i bought them years ago . . . i was afraid to buy them beacuase...... of the neutrality and basslightness . . . because many people (even in german forums) said, that 440s have no bass and the 840 are more bass heavy etc. Well i have both i I can tell you the 440s have a tight, impactfull bass. They are much better suited for Progressive, Electronica, Pop, Metal etc. than the 840s. I use the 840s more for Instrumentals or Ethereal & Soundtracks. The rest will be handled by my 440s.
For me . . . a K400/401/500/501/601/701 is a neutral headphone. I have all of them and these cans are really neutral and basslight. Compare the 440s with these and you will be shocked. The 440s have the same amount of bass as my Superlux 681-B, and thats is not BASSLIGHT, thats just about right IMO. Let me tell you, you will not miss any bass, if you like the Momentums. For many people the Momentums are basslight too. I don't think thats the case, i like the Momentums bass.

Most people seem to like a blurred / wishy washy bass like m50s or many Sonys (XB Series). Problem on these iss that everything else loses contour. Details are gone, highs and mids are blurred and the clearity suffers too. I don't like bass like that. Bass should be BOOOM but tight. i wanna feel the impact, not the blurriness. The shure 440s have that. Ich have searched for monts for a closed can with these abilities. Except the 440s,  DT-770s, the momentums and maybe the Q40 Studiophile from M-Audio..... NO EVEN ONE OTHER CAN  satisfied me. Except those 4 they were all blurred and muffled/veiled.

My Order would be:

1) 440s & Dt770
2) Momentum
3) M-Audio Q40 (Maybe tooo bassy already, kickbass on 440s & DT-770 are much better)

You see it all comes down to what music you're listening to. A Guy who listens to 80% RNB/HipHp & Rap will tell you Momentum has no bass and XB700 etc is the way to goo. Someone who listens to Electronica, Metal/Progressive will tell you, that the Sony lacks detail and is tooo muffled and tooo bassy. Thats the problem in Forums . . . people recommend you headphones but they act out of their taste of music/genre and often you don't know, what music they are listening too.

Best example. A friend of mine wanted to buy a K701, because he has read soooo much good things about it in forums etc. He listens mostly to Metal, some Electronica and Punk. I told him . . . "Come over to my place and TEST it, before you buy it . . . i don't think that the K701 suits to your genres xD " . He came over . . . testet . . . you should have seen his face . . . he looked at me like a sad Donkey, who has no more water to drink xD. He favored the Q40 the most. BUt a week later he sold the Q40 and keeped the 440s as portables and the DT-770s for home use.

XD.... you are really making me curious about the shures's.... for 40 euros i'll probably will give them a chance... :)
I also dont like muddy sounds and usually warmer headphones tend to be muddy. The momentums have to ability to be a slitghly warm headphone but still close to neutral and that warm tilt makes the music evolving, smooth and laidbkack without muddying the spectrum. This type of sound in my opinion its perfect for pop, rock and the most mainstream styles. I like the momentums bass a lot, it is perfect for most genres. The only problem is that imo the momentums are a bit too laidback for edm and thats whyI ended up making a momentum/hd25 combination...

With these two i have the ability to appreciate more calm music with a very good and very laidback headphone like the momentums because of how beautifull everything sounds (the textures are simply amazing, its a HD portable.... XD) and if i want to have some fun and listen to some Armin van Buuren or Above & Beyond sets my hd25's have the agressiveness that is lacking o the momentums for that type of music. Dont get me wrong though, the momentums do edm pretty well, but for me is just a bit too laidback on that genre.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back