Ath-m50 vs Shure srh440 vs Philips Uptown (Help me make the right choice please...)
Jul 1, 2013 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi....

I have the chance of getting the uptown's and the srh440 for 80 euros (or just one for 40 euros) in a mint condition or i can save a little bit more and buy a brand new pair of Ath-m50's for 99 euros....

So what you guys think?

The philips for 40? The Shure's for 40? The both for 80 or The ath-m50 at 99 euros are a better deal than even the other two together at 80 euros?

I always try to aim to good all rounders when i choose my headphones (i listen to pretty much everything but tend to lesten to modern music, progressive house and trance just a bit more)...

Help me choose please... :)

By the way i already have a pair of Cal!'s and sony mdr v6 if it matters.....

Cheers... :)

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 49
The ath m50 has a clamp effect which will give you headache if you wear glasses
the shure srh440 is good but get the replacement cushions on 840 and you'll be fine
the sound quality is good on both but the mids of ath m50 is slightly recessed.

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 49
But will the srh440 be a good all rounder? Do you guys think the bass it has is enough to handle some progressive house or trance as well every now and then (using an ipod touch with no amp)?

Cheers...

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 49
The M50s are not worth twice the Uptowns. IMO the Uptowns are better sounding and more comfortable. However, they're less durable and the seal is pretty finicky.

Never heard the 440s.

Jul 1, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 49
Quote:
But isnt the cable too flimsy and fragile viralcow? Whats the difference between the m50's and the uptowns in sound?

Well, that depends on how willing  you are to baby your gear. To me even the ESW9/ES10 cables (the thickness of those apple earbud cables) were good enough. If you just want something you can abuse, then you should get the M50s.

Soundwise, (if I can still remember) the Uptowns have more forward mids and midbass, leading to a warmer sound. The bass is good but depends on the picky seal. If you wear the Uptowns while walking around, prepare to lose all your sub-bass. The treble is less even and sibilant at times, while the M50s have treble roll-off, so it's a wash. Finally, Uptowns have a slightly wider soundstage with better imaging. The M50s are horrid at gaming, while the Uptowns are passable.

Jul 2, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 49
I already have the cal!s.... :) só even at 40 euros the shures are no worth it? The m50s havê recessed treble? I thought it was the opposite.... The uptowns i dont know... I treat my stuff well but i dont know if they are such a great deal at 40 euros since they are Being sold até amazon for around 55 new...

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 49
I already have the cal!s.... :) só even at 40 euros the shures are no worth it? The m50s havê recessed treble? I thought it was the opposite.... The uptowns i dont know... I treat my stuff well but i dont know if they are such a great deal at 40 euros since they are Being sold até amazon for around 55 new...

Now since you have the cals you can save more money and buy something better like brainwavz hm5

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 49
Quote:
Mdr v6=m50. Uptown is ever so slightly more enjoyable.

The mdr v6's and the v6 are similar in sound quality and sound sig???

I have the v6's... a bit steryle but good with the rock eq on my ipod touch (a bit recessed mids though...)

So do you completely eclude the shures an consider the uptowns to be the best of them all and the ones to get?

Jul 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #14 of 49
I say don't get any of them if your looking for an upgrade but if you want a slight upgrade in the vocals, and a much larger sound stage, get the uptown. I haven't heard the srh440.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #15 of 49
Heya,

You already have the CAL!

None of the headphones you're looking at are upgrades to this really. Just side-grades honestly.

Save up more. Buy a true upgrade if you are seeking an actual worthwhile purchase and not just a different flavor to what you're used to.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back