ATH M50 vs. M50X, M40 vs M40X, etc
Oct 6, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #17 of 31
Hey guys,

I got some white M50s 2 years ago (not to mention the obvious with the color), replaced the earpads a year ago. Unfortunately I got so used to the sound of them, that I was wearing them everywhere and under all conditions. Now they are starting to fall apart again.

They were my first "high quality" headphones by then, but now I think it's time for a change and maybe upgrade sound and quality.
Do you think I should stay with Audio-Technica M40X/M50X or change to another manufacturer?

I was looking on different sites for some weeks now and I'm not getting closer making a decision between M40X (price), M50X (habit), Beyerdynamic DT770/32ohm (more for the studio), AKG K612Pro.

ah, and I use them mostly for listening on my way anywhere, including a little analysis sometimes, late night mixings in my homestudio, and field recordings. (basically everywhere)

Can anyone convince me for ONE of these?
(I know it's a ATH-MXX Thread, but I thought I could maybe get some new opinions... :)

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #18 of 31
Hey guys,

I got some white M50s 2 years ago (not to mention the obvious with the color), replaced the earpads a year ago. Unfortunately I got so used to the sound of them, that I was wearing them everywhere and under all conditions. Now they are starting to fall apart again.

They were my first "high quality" headphones by then, but now I think it's time for a change and maybe upgrade sound and quality.
Do you think I should stay with Audio-Technica M40X/M50X or change to another manufacturer?

I was looking on different sites for some weeks now and I'm not getting closer making a decision between M40X (price), M50X (habit), Beyerdynamic DT770/32ohm (more for the studio), AKG K612Pro.

ah, and I use them mostly for listening on my way anywhere, including a little analysis sometimes, late night mixings in my homestudio, and field recordings. (basically everywhere)

(I know it's a ATH-MXX Thread, but I thought I could maybe get some new opinions... :)
For the K612, be prepared to drop another 100$ on an amp... But then you get a mid-fi open back that bests all the above for neutrality and detail if you do so. Not good at all for traveling just because it is open back with no isolation. The AD900X is a logical upgrade if you plan on staying with audio technica by the way... Or AD700X and AD500X even. Very mid-rangey however. Not very fun headphones tbh. For a closed back around 200$, the DT770 is great, but not neutral. Very warm and bassy. For an closed neutral headphone around 200$, the AKG K550 comes to mind. If you want a portable on ear, then I suggest Thinksound on1... Imo, the best closed back for its price period. It isn't neutral, however it is just fantastic.

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 31
  Hey guys,

One headphone for everywhere among those?  ATH-M50x, though it is only a very slight upgrade from regular M50.  I think that the original pads suck majorly, replace them with Sennheiser HD280 pads instead, they give the bass all the clarity and control that they normally lack, and bring out the best in the midrange and the treble (silkier treble on M50x).  The pads de-color the sound to a degree, too, and since they are a little deeper and bigger than the original pads, I guess that the drivers just needed to breathe a little more.  They are not the most comfortable earpads ever, so if you end up loving the change, which I'm sure you will, but find them uncomfortable then try the memory foam HM5 earpads instead.  M50 will sound nearly as good with those pads as with the HD280 pads.

x2 on K612 if them being huge and open doesn't bother you, and they may need an additional headphone amplifier if your studio equipment cannot bring out the best in them, although I imagine that is unlikely.

Oct 28, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #20 of 31
Is the difference in details between M40X & M50X very much noticeable? Here I can get M40X for ~INR 7200 and M50X for ~INR 12,500. Though both are overcharged, M50X is way too much over-priced over the M40X just for being a flagship I guess, Or is it worth?

Oct 28, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #21 of 31
I'm even considering A500X which sell for INR 6595 on ebay but I read that they have a bit loose fitting and less isolation. I will be using my 'phones in train, bus, while walking and at home. My heart went to A500X but isolation is a question that still remains unanswered. Detailing I guess is definitely more on A500X compared to M40X/50X

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #22 of 31

One headphone for everywhere among those?  ATH-M50x, though it is only a very slight upgrade from regular M50.  I think that the original pads suck majorly, replace them with Sennheiser HD280 pads instead, they give the bass all the clarity and control that they normally lack, and bring out the best in the midrange and the treble (silkier treble on M50x).  The pads de-color the sound to a degree, too, and since they are a little deeper and bigger than the original pads, I guess that the drivers just needed to breathe a little more.  They are not the most comfortable earpads ever, so if you end up loving the change, which I'm sure you will, but find them uncomfortable then try the memory foam HM5 earpads instead.  M50 will sound nearly as good with those pads as with the HD280 pads.

x2 on K612 if them being huge and open doesn't bother you, and they may need an additional headphone amplifier if your studio equipment cannot bring out the best in them, although I imagine that is unlikely.

I don't really consider buying the K612 any more, just a thougth if I could raise the money for two pairs. I built myself a portable battery powered amp for low power mobile devices which drive the 68 Ohms of the M50 without any problems and even expand the frequency range.

Since its getting a little colder here, I'm wearing them over my cap and I first thought a bass-boost was activated somewhere on my phone.
So a little distance to the drivers enhances the low end noticeable. Thanks for this! Do all those pads mentioned fit on the M50X?
Would you recommend the normal or the velour version of the thick HM5 earpads?

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #23 of 31
I would get the m50x over the m40x based on build quality. I demoed the m40x and the Sony 7506 at Guitar center yesterday and was sort of stunned on how cheap the m40x felt. Maybe it was just that pair but everything about them felt cheap. The m50x on the other hand, feels lush and durable. The sound quality of the m40x isn't bad, just boring. Sort of like the Shure srh840 but with less detail. I ended up walking out with the sony's. If you can afford it, go for the m50x over the m40x. I would also recommend the sony's. They don't seem to be as bright as people claim and actually very musical and pleasant to listen to. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #24 of 31
I've been using my M50s for two years and never experienced the hardening of ear cushions.
It has a fantastic sound, but amping it up helps a lot still, at least for me, deeper bass is a must.
I was afraid about the fixed cable but fortunately never had a problem with it. I believe it can be replaced, although it requires taking it apart and some moulding. To tell the truth, I'm using it in a fixed environment in the office (closed back is a blessing there).

I'm thinking about an upgrade, getting a V-Moda M-100 to use while commuting... opinions?
I've taken a look on Noble Kaiser 10, but the price is, bah... I'm still not convinced that IEMs could produce the same "feeling" as larger cans do...

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #25 of 31

I don't really consider buying the K612 any more, just a thougth if I could raise the money for two pairs. I built myself a portable battery powered amp for low power mobile devices which drive the 68 Ohms of the M50 without any problems and even expand the frequency range.

Since its getting a little colder here, I'm wearing them over my cap and I first thought a bass-boost was activated somewhere on my phone.
So a little distance to the drivers enhances the low end noticeable. Thanks for this! Do all those pads mentioned fit on the M50X?
Would you recommend the normal or the velour version of the thick HM5 earpads?

Despite the drivers in M50x being slightly bigger, all the other parts are pretty much the same, so they will fit.  My own M50x is "Frankensteined" together from a badly broken M50x with working drivers and a regular M50. Edit: What I thought were M50x drivers were actually regular M50 drivers.  Someone had swapped that M50x's drivers with regular M50 ones.
I have not tried the velour version, another guy that did used a different headphone and did not feel that they made much of a difference versus the regular HM5 pads.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #27 of 31
  Hey Lauzy,
I haven't tried the M50X's but I would stick to the M50's as they are a proven entity.
The M50X's have a detachable cable but soundwise I would have to try them to find out.
By the way never buy headphones with an in-line volume control if you want the best sound possible as the signal is diminished significantly due to the extra control in the signal path.
I personally would also prefer a wired cable instead of a detached plug in cable as it is fixed by soldering not a possibly temperamental 3.5mm jack plug.  
If you can get to try before you buy that would be the best option, but if not M50's everytime!
Good listening!

Wow thanks so much about the comment on the inline volume control! I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser momentum on-ear and have been using it solely with the in-line control. Since reading your post i have swapped it with the one without the control and what a difference! YESS!

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #28 of 31
Thanks for the feedback, I am pleased to know I've helped someone make a wise choice with their money.
By the way my belief is that anything that disrupts the signal path from source to output can only detract from sound quality.
Manufacturers only add these extra things to appeal to a wider audience in an attempt to make more money without telling us about the deterioration in sound quality that they cause.  
They are all a gimmick and a marketing ploy.  
It's like selling a jar of the finest pure honey in the world adding a pound of sugar to it, then selling it to the customer as an improvement on the original product, a total con.
I'm happy I helped, stay smart,
Good listening!

Sep 6, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #29 of 31
  Thanks for the feedback, I am pleased to know I've helped someone make a wise choice with their money.
By the way my belief is that anything that disrupts the signal path from source to output can only detract from sound quality.
Manufacturers only add these extra things to appeal to a wider audience in an attempt to make more money without telling us about the deterioration in sound quality that they cause.  
They are all a gimmick and a marketing ploy.  
It's like selling a jar of the finest pure honey in the world adding a pound of sugar to it, then selling it to the customer as an improvement on the original product, a total con.
I'm happy I helped, stay smart,
Good listening!

I will be sure to keep that in mind. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back