ATH-M50 vs DT-770
Mar 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #31 of 58

Quote:
Which version of the DT770 is closer to the M59 in terms of power rating?
There seems to be a shortage of the DT770,80 Ohms version.

buy.com has them:
http://www.buy.com/prod/dt770-pro-headphone-80-ohms/203325344.html

also, I have both the DT770 Pro-80 & the ATH M50.
I prefer the Beyers in every respect. I only got the M50's as a portable set that fold up and that I can throw in a bag.
the Beyers don't need an amp for me, although the bass boost function on the Fiio e10 makes them sound ridiculous for hip hop.

Mar 17, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #32 of 58
I bought the M-50LE for my wife since I'm getting myself a new setup. I have a 5 year old pair of ATH-A900LTDs that were originally twice the price of the M-50LEs. Even tho my phones are still in great shape, I prefer the M-50s over my 900s. The bass, while not a head pounding experience, is strong and punchy and doesn't overpower the mids and highs which still sound great to me. Now, granted I am amping them through a littledot 2++. They do however still sound good plugged straight into my wife's new samsung galaxy 5.0 tablet. Since reading this thread, I'm thinking of buying the Beyer 770s just for comparison. Evidently both sound better than my 900s.

Mar 17, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #33 of 58

Quote:
I just meant that you had a nice angle on the Beyers, next to the amp and mp3 player along with your pipes, then a picture of the M50s just lying there..flat on a table.
Beyers just remind me of oversized Skullcandy Hesh..

Beyer has been around longer. So if anything, Skullcandy should remind you of a Beyer, not the other way around. But that's consumer marketing for you when all you see is what is in Walmart/Bestbuy/[insert crappy mass electronic consumer crap-shop name store].

And I don't see how a pipe or amp should make a headphone look better. But ok.

Very best,

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #34 of 58

Quote:
Beyer has been around longer. So if anything, Skullcandy should remind you of a Beyer, not the other way around. But that's consumer marketing for you when all you see is what is in Walmart/Bestbuy/[insert crappy mass electronic consumer crap-shop name store].

And I don't see how a pipe or amp should make a headphone look better. But ok.

Very best,

I know, and no one is to blame but Beyer. And about the picture, do you not understand the basics of presenting an object?

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #35 of 58

Quote:

Fischer Audio FA-003

Very best,

Wow I was WAY off. You use FA-003 as portable?

Off topic

I was considering getting Q40 but I though they looked 2 bulky 4 portable. I got Superlux hd661 now and they are fine - maybe little fatiguing and not very comfortable. Well when it comes 2 SQ [I'm a noob and I can't describe it good] they do most of the things great but something is missing and not just right 2 me and I can't put my finger on it. + they look weird on me. I have a small head and it's just 2 much headband around it and not on it.,
I saw you're picture of Q40 in your review on you're head and they are great looking HP and they look like a nice  fit. My question is are they very similar 2 Panasonic HTF600 'cause I order them and I don't want 2 much similar HP's. Thanx

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #36 of 58

Quote:
I know, and no one is to blame but Beyer. And about the picture, do you not understand the basics of presenting an object?

Didn't realize this was a photography forum. I have a ton of headphones and can tell you from experience, not just copy & paste from someone else, what's what with them. Sorry if I can't just snap photos in a way that is pleasing. Clearly I'm wasting your time. My bad.

Quote:
Wow I was WAY off. You use FA-003 as portable?

Off topic

I was considering getting Q40 but I though they looked 2 bulky 4 portable. I got Superlux hd661 now and they are fine - maybe little fatiguing and not very comfortable. Well when it comes 2 SQ [I'm a noob and I can't describe it good] they do most of the things great but something is missing and not just right 2 me and I can't put my finger on it. + they look weird on me. I have a small head and it's just 2 much headband around it and not on it.,
I saw you're picture of Q40 in your review on you're head and they are great looking HP and they look like a nice  fit. My question is are they very similar 2 Panasonic HTF600 'cause I order them and I don't want 2 much similar HP's. Thanx

The Q40 to me isn't that bulky, it's smaller than a Beyer, it's the same size as most portable full sizes and folds up (just they don't swivel the cups). The FA003 is a bulky headphone. Huge even.  The Q40 is a little similar the HTF600, but the Q40 has better overall sound quality and is a better built headphone, with nice accessories and folds up and all. If you already have the HTF600, the Q40 is quite similar, so unless you plan on having that, I would look at other options. Both are smooth treble, good mids, big bass headphones, comfortable, closed, and easy to drive. The Q40 has more isolation, and in general, better quality in all regards, but not tremendously so. I use any headphone as a portable, except open headphones (exception: Grado, I use it when I'm outside often); so my Hifiman HE500 doesn't go outside, but I have a portable setup for it too to carry my Schiit Bifrost/Asgard/Lyr/HE500 and then the laptop or whatever source I choose (a Pelican case) but that's for travel, to survive an airplane or trunk, not for portable sake. My portable setup has been on islands from kayaks. I love taking hifi to strange places.

Very best,

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #37 of 58

Quote:
Didn't realize this was a photography forum. I have a ton of headphones and can tell you from experience, not just copy & paste from someone else, what's what with them. Sorry if I can't just snap photos in a way that is pleasing. Clearly I'm wasting your time. My bad.

If you're attempting to show which one is better looking, then yes, photography does matter. A lot. We're not talking about the sounds, but the looks, so your experience does not matter.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #38 of 58
Well, I ended up getting a pair of the DT770's. I don't need an amp, but it might help for when I listen to my records. Any recommendations? I don't think I need a portable one, but is it that much more convenient to have if I'm moving between two rooms in the house? The only one I've looked at so far is the FiiO E11.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #39 of 58

Quote:
Well, I ended up getting a pair of the DT770's. I don't need an amp, but it might help for when I listen to my records. Any recommendations? I don't think I need a portable one, but is it that much more convenient to have if I'm moving between two rooms in the house? The only one I've looked at so far is the FiiO E11.

The E11 is wonderful with the DT770 if you want something portable. If you want something that can move from place to place and also plug into a laptop or something, the E7 would be a good idea. The E10 would be something for static desktop use. I mention this because the E11 cannot be used while it's charging, so you'd be relying on the battery at all times. The E7 can be used while plugged in (it's good for static desktop use and for portable use, it will do both). The E10 is more powerful, and would be ideal for you. The beauty of these devices is that they're not big and bulky with big power cords. They're a small little gizmo that you literally just plug into a USB port and you're ready to go.

By the way, you mentioned records, are you using vinyl/LP? Or are you listening to digital media from a portable device or computer?

Very best,

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #40 of 58
Both. I have a collection of about 150 records that I haven't really given much listen to as of lately. One reason is because I don't always like sitting there using headphones, and one of my speakers hasn't worked for about 6 months. Thanks for the recommendations on the FiiOs.

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #41 of 58

Quote:

The E11 is well made, slim, and very portable. 
To my ears, though, (and many others judging from the reviews) the CMoy 2.03 from JDS Labs sounds better at the same price point.
It's physically slightly larger than the E11, though, and the build isn't quite as robust.
(Available at www.jdslabs.com).

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #42 of 58
I would suggest the fiio e11. I bought one recently on the for sale section  for about $50. Very good for that money. The sound is really decent.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #43 of 58
I picked up an E11 a few weeks ago, works fine with all three of my Beyers.
There are batteries you can get for the Fiio E11 that last longer then the one that shipped with the E11.
You can also get a separate battery recharger.

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #44 of 58

Quote:
I just meant that you had a nice angle on the Beyers, next to the amp and mp3 player along with your pipes, then a picture of the M50s just lying there..flat on a table.
Beyers just remind me of oversized Skullcandy Hesh..

idk why but I lol'd at this post.  poor m50s.  beyer's get to hang out in a nicer environment.

i like the old school look of the beyers with awesome comfort, too.  imo, m50 has generic modern styling.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #45 of 58
Modern styling for modern people, I've never been a fan of old styles. TBH I can't stand people that always act like it's the mid 1900s, times weren't great back then, and those tube amp and vinyl record collectors annoy the hell out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back