ATH-M50 vs DT-770
Mar 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #46 of 58
It might just be me, but I had the chance to take home an M50 for a couple days, and I felt like I could hear tracks that weren't present when listening my DT770s. Could it just be that the DT770s haven't been broken in enough yet?

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #47 of 58

Quote:
It might just be me, but I had the chance to take home an M50 for a couple days, and I felt like I could hear tracks that weren't present when listening my DT770s. Could it just be that the DT770s haven't been broken in enough yet?

M50's are known for a relative lack of mids, which in turn emphasizes treble detail, which is probably why you can hear more microdetails.

However really high-end headphones can both be rich (good mids) and have even more details, but your wallet will have to suffer another time for that.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #48 of 58

Quote:
M50's are known for a relative lack of mids, which in turn emphasizes treble detail, which is probably why you can hear more microdetails.

However really high-end headphones can both be rich (good mids) and have even more details, but your wallet will have to suffer another time for that.

I think I mentioned this before, but it seems there are two kinds of M50s floating around on the market. One with recessed mid and more prominent bass, and the other with a more prominent mid, less bass, and more extending high frequency.

I suspect that if the OP can hear more micro details, then he landed himself an M50 with the latter signature. However, according to some members, the M50 with more recessed mid seems to be more the norm, so you are not completely off-base.

Quote:

I think you landed yourself a pair of M50 that's just like mine. I compared mine head-to-head to DT770 at Guitar Center many times, and it always comes out as being more detailed. The DT770 has more bass quantity in all cases.

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #49 of 58
I'm not going to lie. I wish I could've kept those M50s. The sound was absolutely phenomenal, even better than the DT770s I bought. The DT770s are just too damn comfortable though. Maybe if I get some spare cash, I'll try to seek another pair.

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #50 of 58
I thought the m50's sounded pretty decent but just not as good the Beyers. Not nearly as good. Plus the Beyer throws in the comfort factor. Comfort is quickly claiming up the ladder of importance for me. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and less tolerant of that sort of thing...

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #52 of 58
  I thought the m50's sounded pretty decent but just not as good the Beyers. Not nearly as good. Plus the Beyer throws in the comfort factor. Comfort is quickly claiming up the ladder of importance for me. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and less tolerant of that sort of thing...

Hi guys, sorry to bother but i have a few questions regarding the 32 and 80ohm dt770....

Right now i have a pair of hd25's and a pair of amperiors and i am thinking of selling one of those too finance a pair of dt770's for home use...
I have no amps and was not planning on buying any since i mostly use my headphones on portable players... i listen mostly to indie, pop, rock and edm....
I already had the ath m50's.... liked the bass, did not like the recessed mids, weird plasticky treble and the lack of soundstage.....

How does the 80 ohm and specially the 32 ohm version of the dt770 compares to something like the hd25 or ath m50....?
Hows the bass on the 32 and 80ohm version? I read that the bass on the 32ohm is a bit loose..... how loose? wich has better and tighter bass, the dt770 or the ath m50? Since i listen to edm i dont want  very loose bass.... my limit for bass looseness would be something like the bass on the aurvana live!....

Do you guys think the dt770's 32 or 80 om would suit me well?

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #55 of 58
How does the 80ohm dt770 compares with the m50 (regular and x) in terms of sound signature?

I desperately need a over ear headphones... Only have a amperior and a hd25 right now.... May sell one of these 2 to get either the 80 dt770 or the m50x....

Only tried the m50 and it was a year ago.... Thought it was too bulky, not confortable and lacking a bit of mids and with plasticky highs (i prefered the sound of the hd25... I would only had them the bass of the m50 and the stage.... Any headphone as better soundstagr than a hd25 of course... :-D )

Does the m50x improves on the flaws i mentioned for the previous m50?

Hope you guys can help...

Cheers

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #56 of 58
They're both great headphones but the reason why I chose the 770's was because the comfort is unparalleled and to me it makes the music so much more immersive. Been using my 770's for a year now and they're only getting better. That being said you can't go wrong with either

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #57 of 58
Hi guys... :)

I am back.... A couple of months ago i ended up not buying any of these 2 headphones.... instead i had a lot of other ones and ended up realising that my favourite 2 were the hd25 and the over ear momentum.... right now i still have the hd25 and a pair of amperiors but unfortunatelly i had to let my momentums go due to the unconfortable and super small pads.... ;(

So here i am again.... same tastes, rock, pop, indie and edm (a lot of prog and trance mostly....).... i reaaaaaaaally need a over ear now and i am again debating between the 80oh dt770 and the newer ath m50x.....

I already had a coiled (white box) ath m50 a couple of months ago... i liked the sound but i ended up selling them because i thought they were too scooped in the mids and that the treble sounded a bit plasticky.... at the time i also got my hd25s and liked them more (despite not being very confortable and the super compressed sound), i though they sounded clearer, more balanced, more detailed and despite lacking the bass impact of the m50, i found the overall sound of the hd25's more agressive and fun for rock... it just sounded better to my ears, more complete.... but once again this was 6 or more months ago.... does the new ath m50x improved in any of this?

Wich do you guys think it sound closer to the hd25?

I am basically wanting a hd25 sound with a tiny bit more bass impact and in a over ear and more immersive experience....

Whats do you guys think? I will mostly use them unamped by the way...

Cheers :)

Edit: Sorry, did not mean to double post.... :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #58 of 58
Hi guys... :)

I am back.... A couple of months ago i ended up not buying any of these 2 headphones.... instead i had a lot of other ones and ended up realising that my favourite 2 were the hd25 and the over ear momentum.... right now i still have the hd25 and a pair of amperiors but unfortunatelly i had to let my momentums go due to the unconfortable and super small pads.... ;(

So here i am again.... same tastes, rock, pop, indie and edm (a lot of prog and trance mostly....).... i reaaaaaaaally need a over ear now and i am again debating between the 80oh dt770 and the newer ath m50x.....

I already had a coiled (white box) ath m50 a couple of months ago... i liked the sound but i ended up selling them because i thought they were too scooped in the mids and that the treble sounded a bit plasticky.... at the time i also got my hd25s and liked them more (despite not being very confortable and the super compressed sound), i though they sounded clearer, more balanced, more detailed and despite lacking the bass impact of the m50, i found the overall sound of the hd25's more agressive and fun for rock... it just sounded better to my ears, more complete.... but once again this was 6 or more months ago.... does the new ath m50x improved in any of this?

Beyers on the other hand i never tried one in my life and its impossible to find them in Portugal...

Wich do you guys think it sound closer to the hd25?

I am basically wanting a hd25 sound with a tiny bit more bass impact and in a over ear and more immersive experience....

Whats do you guys think? I will mostly use them unamped by the way...

Cheers :)

Edit: I have a guy who is offering me a trade... a pair of 250ohm dt770's for my hd25's.... but i am really keen on getting the 80ohm one because of my needs.... should i take the deal or the 250ohm version for me is different from te 80ohm one and too hard to drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back