ATH-M50 vs. Beyerdynamic DT 770? The battle of the budget basshead cans.
Jan 20, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
I'm also interested in the Denon D2000, however, I haven't really been able to find it for less than ~$250USD.
However, I'm curious as to whether anyone bought it for less, or if the Denon is even worth the extra $90 (to me) at this point in time.

I also tried on the HFI's and the cups were definitely too shallow for my tastes. It was almost as if it was bordering on a supra-aural set.

jr.com often sells it for less than 250.  You have to call in and see what their "best offer" currently is.  It might depend on the customer service rep, but they offered it to me for 200  (this was around black friday and they were back ordered though).

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #18 of 25
If you can go for used (unless you wanna wait ~3 weeks) and are fine w, open headphones, FA-011. M.F.G. Stupid comfortable and outclasses the M50 by far (not sure about the DT770.. but the FA-011s are pretty damn rumbly and are tight and punchy all at the same time). So far sounds amazing w/ all genres for me too :)

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #19 of 25
Well I'm definitely set on a closed set of cans (I know, sad) because of my situation, but now I wonder if I should get the DT770 or the D2000.

I wonder if there are comparison reviews or people out there with advice on either one.

Quote:
If you can go for used (unless you wanna wait ~3 weeks) and are fine w, open headphones, FA-011. M.F.G. Stupid comfortable and outclasses the M50 by far (not sure about the DT770.. but the FA-011s are pretty damn rumbly and are tight and punchy all at the same time). So far sounds amazing w/ all genres for me too :)

Mar 11, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #20 of 25
Update guys--

I went ahead and purchased the DT770 Pro-80's --currently in my first hour of listening. Not entirely impressed right now, but perhaps it could be my amping/lack of break in.
Very comfortable though. Only paid $150 brand new including shipping on eBay. Have it hooked directly into my X-Fi http://www.amazon.com/Express-Blaster-Titanium-Fatal1ty-Champion/dp/B001BDPLJA

Will give a more detailed analysis once I get accustomed to this setup.

Mar 11, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
Update guys--

I went ahead and purchased the DT770 Pro-80's --currently in my first hour of listening. Not entirely impressed right now, but perhaps it could be my amping/lack of break in.
Very comfortable though. Only paid $150 brand new including shipping on eBay. Have it hooked directly into my X-Fi http://www.amazon.com/Express-Blaster-Titanium-Fatal1ty-Champion/dp/B001BDPLJA

Will give a more detailed analysis once I get accustomed to this setup.

Hows are the impressions coming along?

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:
You do not want to be using the M50 for 8-12 hours a day.  It's uncomfortable for extended usage.

M50 is very uncomfortable after mote than an hour of use. It clamps harder than most headphones (though it does improve the bass quality). It works superb straight out of my iPhone 5 without amplification better than many high priced IEMs. But it does not play loud rock (grunge & hard rock) very well and severely lacking in soundstage to play classical music compared to slightly more expensive AKG 550. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:
M-Audio Q40's, Denon D2000's, or Sony XB series. The Sonys are probably the most comfortable headphones ever made; to a point that I look forward to putting them on. I was actually walking around the house with the cans not connected to anything, simply because they were nice and cozy.

lol!!!

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #24 of 25
I wish I had a feeling that some $150 worth HP's are budget cans... 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back