ATH-M50 vs ATH-Pro700mk2 vs Beats Solo HD
Jan 28, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 48
And it begins...if you would have searched you would have know that beats arent liked to well around here. Anywho go pro700's with the m50 pads. Who cares about what they look like in public. As long as they sound good its all that matters, also since the pro700's are all black you shouldnt have a problem with people trying to steal them.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 48
Don't know much about about ATM-50 or ATM Pro700mk2, but Beats Solo and Solo HD are possibly the worst sounding headphones I've ever heard, my stock Apple iBuds sound a lot better than them. The only Beats headphones that sound decent are the Beats Pro IMO, but for $500, I'm sure there are better choices around.

Jan 28, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 48
what he said, i have the beats pro also, they sound awesome, but not $400 dollar nice. Good thing i didnt pay that though :)

Jan 28, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 48
I have compared the M50 and pro700mk2 side by side. The M50 has better clarity, and in comparison, the pro700mk2 sounds very muffled. I'd suggest M50 over pro700 unless you want as much bass as possible. The pro700 looks better though!

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 48

Quote:

how much did you pay? i've been looking at picking them, but i can't justify their price since i'm saving for the akg 701's.

Just make some friends at bestbuy and have them buy them for you. Thats gonna be the cheapest you will get them for! Be careful cause there is alot of fake ones out there, especially on craigslist and ebay.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 48

Quote:
I have compared the M50 and pro700mk2 side by side. The M50 has better clarity, and in comparison, the pro700mk2 sounds very muffled. I'd suggest M50 over pro700 unless you want as much bass as possible. The pro700 looks better though!

I would say the m50's had a tad bit clearer highs but nothing i couldnt fix on the eq. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 48
I have the ATH-M50, have heard the Beats solo, never heard the Pro700mk2.

I really can't seem to find much info on the Pro700mk2, i can't even find any reviews on amazon which is my emergency source for reviews... they have a nice design, price is affordable and the cable LOOKS detatchable to me, i can imagine they'd sound pretty good but before purchasing them i'd reccomend trying to find a store near you where you can listen to them.

The Beats Solo are bad, just bad... i listened to them in a store and they sounded bad and when they sound bad in a store that's a bad sign considering the sound systems they connect them to.

The Audio Technica ATH-M50 are a really nice headphone sound quality blows the Beats Solo and Studio out of the water and they cost less.
I got mine for $170 and they are a great purchase, at first the sound wasn't quite right and they were uncomfortable with a really tight clamp, so i burned them in and stretched them over the box my HD enclosure came in and i liked them a lot more... plus i just got used to them over time (Just make sure the box you use isn't too big and you have the headband all the way out) sound is great, very flat and balanced and easy to drive to. For using them in public they do offer a bit of passive noise isolation but not a lot and they do leak a bit more than i would like them to... well, i don't want them to leak at all but... yeah.

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #12 of 48
The M50 are good for Hard rock/metal... they sound best with electronic music but still good with what you described, they're not really genre specific headphones unlike the Beats centered around rap.

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 48
Are you sure you'd like to use either of the Audio Technica headphones for mobile use? They are fairly portable, but very bulky. They do have a folding design that helps a little, but still doesn't help make them compact. And also, they do not isolate very well. They will make outside noise sound a little more quiet, but never mute it completely.
However, I completely love the sound of the M50. It is bass oriented, but not very much. The Pro700mk2 is very similar, but with much more bass. I wouldn't recommend them as much as the M50 for metal/rock.

If you could, I would heavily recommend spending a little more money to get the V-moda V80 or M80 headphones. They are extremely portable, sturdy, look cool, and are known to sound great(better.)
Just something to consider. Good hunting!
atsmile.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 48
I use my pro700's for almost everything. Gym. Djing, working around the house. I had my friend try them out and put the volume to what i normally have them at, and the sound leak was not bad at all!!! You could bearly hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back