ATH m50 vs ATH AD700 HELP!
Jun 25, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 55

Quote:
Bass and Soundstage typically do not go together. To get good soundstage, typically other parts of the music need to be distant or less impactful.

I agree with that statement to extent, but unlike the AD700s, once you upgrade to a high end headphone, you actually can have great soundstage and 3d imaging, along with good hard hitting bass.  The AD700 is too low end to achieve that.  On the other hand, they could settle for a headphone that is not quite as open as the AD700, but offers more bass and pretty acceptable soundstage.

Jun 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 55
To be honest, at the end of the day while the AD700s may be great for gaming, they are quality headphones and as any AD700 owner will tell you, they are good music headphones too, just as long as you're not listening to anything really bassy. If you can, try and get your hands of a pair of each and if you feel that the m50 has far superior sonic capabilities then by all means forget about the AD700

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 55
Which more expensive headphones have great soundstage and bass? None that I have owned or currently own.

Quote:
I agree with that statement to extent, but unlike the AD700s, once you upgrade to a high end headphone, you actually can have great soundstage and 3d imaging, along with good hard hitting bass.  The AD700 is too low end to achieve that.  On the other hand, they could settle for a headphone that is not quite as open as the AD700, but offers more bass and pretty acceptable soundstage.

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #22 of 55
Where do the "gaming only" connotations come from for the AD700's?   This article is why I got interested in them in the 1st place:

http://stereophile.com/features/808head/

*Not* a gaming magazine.  :)

He looks at the AKG K530, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, Beyerdynamic DT440, and Grado SR80 wrt the measurements he's trying to do.  This is quite interesting to me, because I have SR80i's for home, and SR125i's for work, and I cannot tell you how much I love both of them. 

It's a very heavy read, but on pg 3 he says:

Quote:
But my clear favorite overall, by a large margin, was the Audio-Technica. Its more laid-back tonal balance was much more like what I'm used to hearing from speakers, and its imaging was remarkably spacious, to an extent that I had never heard from headphones before.

One question I have, there are some comments about the adjustability and comfort of the AD700's on Amazon.  Can anyone comment on that?  Something like they don't have one axis of adjustment, so they can't be adjusted for all head sizes or something?

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #23 of 55

Quote:
The AD700's are designed for gaming meaning if your not using these headphones primarly for gaming then there is no need for them.

Ive never seen AD700s advertised as 'gaming headphones'...

If you are looking for soundstage for cheap, I think you will be happy with the AD700s. Bass is not a strong point, but still good enough imo.

Jun 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #26 of 55
I can vouch for the M-50s.  I've heard both it and the 700s, and I think the M-50s are the better choice.  As for comfort/flexibility etc., I have an enormous head and they fit me fine without pain.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #27 of 55
This is patently false, the AD700 was not "designed for gaming" it's just the reputation they have picked up because their soundstage happens to be absolute gravy for FPS games.

This myth that the AD700 is a "gamer headphone" has to end sometime, a lot of people are doing these cans a great disservice by spreading such misinformation. The AD700 is first and foremost a music headphone, and a dang great one at that especially considering you can get them new for cheaper than an M50.

The AD700 is for people who like spacious, expansive sound with no limit in the upper areas. It's a rougher version of the K701. And the K701 was most definitely a music phone and not a gamer phone (although I will say it is stupdendous at gaming).

The M50 is for people who like darker sounding cans with great bass. They are an unbelievable value for bass heads looking for great definition in their sound, but I will be the first to say they have been outdone by more recent offerings like the Shure SRH750 DJ which retail for about the same but are just superior all around. 

The AD700... has yet to be outdone at its price point and has no equal when it comes to soundstage at under $100.

Quote:
If you listen to music - ATH M50's

If all you do is play games with the headphones without a doubt- AD700's

The most versatile headphone is the ATH M50's because they are pretty much good with anything you use it with.

The AD700's are designed for gaming meaning if your not using these headphones primarly for gaming then there is no need for them.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #28 of 55

Quote:
are there any other open headphones that have better soundstage than the m50s, but also better sonic capabilities than the 700? Maybe I am asking for too much..

A lot actually, but at what price? And what do you mean by "better sonic capabilities" than the AD700? Better at what? Soundstage, bass, mids, clarity, speed, etc? Need to be more specific. And again the price point will determine what options are available. 

Someone brought up the DT440. This is a nice can but I think it's a bit middling between the M50 and the AD700. Soundstage is better than the M50 but not as expansive as the AD700. The bass is better than the AD700's but not as deep and gutteral as the M50's. It also has rather recessed mids (which contribute to its soundstage) whereas both AD700 and M50 have solid mids.

Quote:
Where do the "gaming only" connotations come from for the AD700's?   This article is why I got interested in them in the 1st place:

http://stereophile.com/features/808head/

*Not* a gaming magazine.  :)

He looks at the AKG K530, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, Beyerdynamic DT440, and Grado SR80 wrt the measurements he's trying to do.  This is quite interesting to me, because I have SR80i's for home, and SR125i's for work, and I cannot tell you how much I love both of them. 

It's a very heavy read, but on pg 3 he says:

One question I have, there are some comments about the adjustability and comfort of the AD700's on Amazon.  Can anyone comment on that?  Something like they don't have one axis of adjustment, so they can't be adjusted for all head sizes or something?

Yeah not sure where people are getting this "gaming headphone" thing, this is nonsense the only audiophile company I know that actually makes gaming headsets are Beyer and Senn. Audio Technica to my knowledge has not released one yet, though maybe they did in Japan or somewhere and I am just not aware. Gaming headsets generally come from companies like Razer and Logitech and Turtle Beach etc. 

Regarding the AD700 headband adjustment... there is no adjustment. The Wing system automatically adjusts to your head. If it won't fit your head.... you can't do much about it. Generally though it will fit anyone whose head isn't very small, and they are very comfortable to boot.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #29 of 55
Forgive me if I'm a little ot, but how do the M50 or even the AD700 compare to the sr80i? Perhaps better? I've been considering purchasing the sr80i, but the closed M50 would be more universal for on the go usage as well, IF they sound better/as good.

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #30 of 55

Quote:
The AD700 is for people who like spacious, expansive sound with no limit in the upper areas.  
The M50 is for people who like darker sounding cans with great bass. They are an unbelievable value for bass heads looking for great definition in their sound,

Mochan.  Thank you !!  Great comments.  Seals the deal for me.  I don't want lots of bass.   
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back