ATH-M50 vs. ATH-A900X
Mar 2, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #16 of 21
I'm not sure if i smell a troll

PLEASE for the love of god send them in for repair. If it's water damage they should be able to replace the drivers. 

you are serious SEND THEM IN FOR REPAIR!

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #17 of 21
Got mine a900x from buydig yesterday. Out the box, the bass is very soft compares to the m50s. I'm not a basshead but music sounds much warmer to me on the m50s than the 900x I don't know if I got a defective pair but I'll let them burn in a bit to see if I get any changes. As of right now, I'm enjoying my relatively new m50s much more than the 900x

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #18 of 21
Got mine a900x from buydig yesterday. Out the box, the bass is very soft compares to the m50s. I'm not a basshead but music sounds much warmer to me on the m50s than the 900x I don't know if I got a defective pair but I'll let them burn in a bit to see if I get any changes. As of right now, I'm enjoying my relatively new m50s much more than the 900x

I have the same rolled off bass problem and I'm not a basshead but I was beginning to think it was just me, but after seeing your posts I am convinced they are defective. I contacted MalVeauX, who was extremely helpful in the matter, and he said the bass on these is comparable to the DT770 and D2000. I've seen the A900X likened to those headphones by others too, so I expected decent bass to say the least. The bass on my pair is significantly worse than my ATH-A700 and from everything I've read in comparison of these models, which is to say everything Google has picked up on the topic, these are supposed to be improved over both the lower 700 model and the old non-X series.

I've been burning them in but it hasn't made a difference. With several of these incidents popping up I think we got a bad batch or something. Contact BuyDig, the problem is Audio-Technica's QC issues and not theirs. They had great customer service and were quick to replace my previous defective pair that had mismatched drivers. I'm trying to return them now but there seems to be a simple misunderstanding:
We only compensate for return shipping when the product is defective . Since this product is is not defective you would need to pay for the return shipping .
So if more people report this anemic bass defect, they will understand the scope of the problem here.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #20 of 21
I wouldn't say the bass of the A900X is on par with the D2000, but still hits pretty well. I don't recall well as I haven't touch my M50 in awhile, but the M50 might have more sub bass than the A900X but the A900X bass is better quality and have more mid bass.  Plus overall sounds better pretty much everything else, IMO.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #21 of 21
I know this is an old thread but it's still relevant.  I've had both cans, I don't remember at stock levels, but I am a heavy eq'er and the 900x is capable of significantly more bass than the M50.  When properly EQ'd it hits harder and lower, and the sound is much larger and club-like.  There is no comparison, the 900x is way better.  The m50 is fantastic and better suited as a studio monitor headphone though.

If you want something m50 sized for listening pleasure, go with Ultrasone HFI-780, they have significantly better sound and a great soundstage as well where as the m50 sound feels cramped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back