ATH-M50 vs. ATH-A900X
Feb 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ATA900X

New Head-Fier
Hi headfi commity, I am new to this but I was thinking about getting a new headphone. My final two decisions are the m50s and a900x. Did anyone have or have listened to both of these? Please tell me what are the differences in sound quality(bass, mids, highs). I would love to hear what you guys have to tell me and which one is better. My previous headphones were the HD800s but i cant get an expensive pair of cans anymore because I broke my hd800s and my parents are pissed. The only two i want is the m50s or a900x. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 21
You broke your HD800s. -__- 
I'm not sure how that even happens. Can't you get a replacement or send it in for repair?

It's been a while since I owned the M50s, but the A900X is a natural upgrade over the M50s and then some. The M50s might have slightly punchier and deeper bass but the A900X outclasses them in every other category- mids, highs, soundstage, detail, and comfort.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:
You broke your HD800s. -__- 
I'm not sure how that even happens. Can't you get a replacement or send it in for repair?

It's been a while since I owned the M50s, but the A900X is a natural upgrade over the M50s and then some. The M50s might have slightly punchier and deeper bass but the A900X outclasses them in every other category- mids, highs, soundstage, detail, and comfort.

>.> rest in peace HE800.... but seriously it might be worth it to get that HD800 fixed than spending few hundreds on a mid level can. Unless...you ran it over with a truck or something...

On the other hand, I currently own the a900x, it can get quite bright on certain songs, and with just so very light emphasis on the bass, not boomy, but tight. so expect somewhat of a "U" shape FR, very enjoyable and really nice with any genera of music. And it is VERY comfortable (this can go both ways, some just absolutely hated the 3d wing design). For a closed can, the a900x have a very nice sound stage, definitely not like the HD800, but still very wide for a closed can.

Comparing to the M50, the M50 will have more quantity bass, but less of EVERYTHING else. 

but I still do hope that you can get that HD800 fixed... 

Good luck~

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 21
I'll trade you my A900X for the HD800 
biggrin.gif

But seriously, I think the A900X is a upgrade over the M50's in all areas except portability. The most noticeable difference is in the mids, which are very full and detailed compared to the recessed mids on the M50. If you had to choose between the two go for the A900X, but I still think it would be worthwhile to repair those HD800's.

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 21
I know I'm dumb. They are destroyed. Like it broke because i spilt water on them. I got really soaked and after i let it dry they dont work anymore. I guess i'll get the ath a900x

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
I know I'm dumb. They are destroyed. Like it broke because i spilt water on them. I got really soaked and after i let it dry they dont work anymore. I guess i'll get the ath a900x

Hi you need to send those Senns in for repair. Read this from the Sennheiser site:

Welcome to the Sennheiser USA Service Portal

Service Options

Warranty Service Options:

You may return your Sennheiser product for under-warranty repair or replacement as long as it meets the terms of Sennheiser’s Warranty Statement. 
Please refer to the warranty statement here.

Non-Warranty Service Options

Flat Rate Repairs:
All repair costs (labor, parts, etc.) and 1-way shipping (shipping VIA UPS Ground without signature required) will be covered completely by one convenient flat-rate repair price. Estimates cannot be requested and will not be provided for flat-rate repair items.

Pre-Authorized Amount Repairs:
The cost for labor, parts, and shipping will be billed as actual. Sennheiser recommends authorizing repair up to the Pre-Authorized Amount in order to accommodate a fast turnaround time. In the event that a repair is going to surpass the Pre-Authorized Amount, we will contact you beforehand and it will be up to you to decide whether or not to continue with the repair. An estimate for repair work may be requested prior to repair however doing so will significantly increase your turnaround time. 

Repair Estimates:
Estimates will be provided via phone or email based upon your preferred method of communication as indicated on your request for repair. You will have 10 business days from the date that we send the estimate to either approve or deny the work. If after 10 days we have not received a response we will ship your unrepaired item back to you, free of charge

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 21
Send it in for repair, do not throw them away and give them to me if you are going to waste it :xf_eek:

Get the a900x over the m50

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 21
sounds like what happened to someone i know. dropped his HD800 and tossed it out because it broke. streetdragon and autonartive were not happy to hear that

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
On the other hand, I currently own the a900x, it can get quite bright on certain songs, and with just so very light emphasis on the bass, not boomy, but tight. so expect somewhat of a "U" shape FR, very enjoyable and really nice with any genera of music. And it is VERY comfortable (this can go both ways, some just absolutely hated the 3d wing design). For a closed can, the a900x have a very nice sound stage, definitely not like the HD800, but still very wide for a closed can.

I actually think the a900x are quite neutral. If anything, the midrange stands out more than the treble. Agree on the emphasis in the midbass though. That is why they made the x models after all.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #13 of 21
Wow, excellent price at $125.00 for what you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back