ATH-M50 vs ATH-A700 for classical music
Mar 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #16 of 18
Jimmy, vocal was what I wanted to ask people's opinion before I saw your post. But M50 vocal is also a huge disappointment for me. It's so reccessed and thin
frown.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apomethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I also read about SRH840 but it's pricey for me at this moment. i can get M50 with 104$ on ebay at proaudiomart.

Edit: Actually I still can afford to buy SRH840. But is it worth to buy?

Just a heads up... I bought my m50s from proaudiomart a few weeks ago. they will accept offers for $90. that'll save you a few bucks if you end up deciding on the m50s.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jimmy, vocal was what I wanted to ask people's opinion before I saw your post. But M50 vocal is also a huge disappointment for me. It's so reccessed and thin
frown.gif

If the M50 is "so recessed and thin", then the A700 is only more so.

I can attest that the M50 isn't as recessed as the A700, but only slightly so. It's alright in instrumentals (both the M50 and A700), but you'll definitely notice you're missing mids compared to a K271 Mk2 or similar. Otherwise, they're simply recessed. The violins still come through clearly without loss of detail, but they're not forward or "the focus". Thin? Maybe, but not really. Weak? Yeah, I suppose.

Can't really comment on vocals; I haven't got much that focuses on it. Most of the things I said about instruments apply anyways. The A700 might catch a bout of sibilance if the song is poorly mastered or the volume is high.

No comments on soundstage; my pair hasn't come in yet, and I didn't listen for soundstage when I was demoing the pair. And yes, ProAudioMart on eBay will take offers of $90. $19 USPS Priority Int'l to Canada, $34 USPS Express Int'l to everywhere else.

Comment: I listen mainly to concertos and small scale pieces. I hate symphonies and orchestral pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back