ATH-M50 vs ATH-A700 for classical music
Feb 23, 2010 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Apomethe

New Head-Fier
I consider beetween these two headphones and want to use it in office, so it must be closed. I wanna use it for classical only (orchestral and chamber), one friend of mine want to buy one also but he mostly listen opera and vocal. I don't know if one headphone can be used to listen both orchestral and vocal.

I need a headphone that have good soundstage (I know A700 is wider than M50 but don't know if M50 is good enough if I want to listen Mahler or something like that), good separation, natural, accurate, and unamped (I may upgrade after few months and also want to know which one i should buy).

I did a search in this forum but since many people listen the other genres so I sill can't decide myself and need some more helps here.

Should I look for the other headphone with the same price?

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 18
The A700. The M50 (FWIR) may have too much of a bass impact for classical.

If you could get open though, the AD700 would be even better...

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 18
Some people told me speaker for classical music and the headphone is so. But IMO, bass is important because classical music requires a high range frequencies:
PSB Speakers - The Frequencies of Music

I don't have much experiences in audiophile but I just think when listen cello or drums in orchestra, I need a good bass. I just find out A700 has more frequency response than M50 in high frequency but it may be not important.

I had search a lot because I can't listen any pair since there is no audiophile shop in my area. It will be my first can so I don't want to disappoint.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 18
Yes, I also read about SRH840 but it's pricey for me at this moment. i can get M50 with 104$ on ebay at proaudiomart.

Edit: Actually I still can afford to buy SRH840. But is it worth to buy?

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apomethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But IMO, bass is important because classical music requires a high range frequencies.

Bass is important, but you'll find that in most headphones (especially in the lower price range), "more bass" usually means more mid bass hump (around 70-100Hz), typically with a roll off in frequencies lower than those. This will tend to make things sound more "boomy", which (in my opinion) spoils a lot of music, especially classical where there are also plenty of important instruments that play in higher frequency ranges too. In addition, classical is often well produced and mastered, so the bass balance of recordings tends to be fairly good, thus equipment used to play classical need not be excessive in the bass department.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass is important, but you'll find that in most headphones (especially in the lower price range), "more bass" usually means more mid bass hump (around 70-100Hz), typically with a roll off in frequencies lower than those. This will tend to make things sound more "boomy", which (in my opinion) spoils a lot of music, especially classical where there are also plenty of important instruments that play in higher frequency ranges too. In addition, classical is often well produced and mastered, so the bass balance of recordings tends to be fairly good, thus equipment used to play classical need not be excessive in the bass department.

So u meant I should go to A700?

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Quote:

So u meant I should go to A700?

The ATH-M50 doesn't have a midbass spike. I mostly listen to classical/jazz and I find the M50s to be pretty good. The only place where they fall short is in soundstage, which means they aren't as good for large symphony recordings.

All told, the M50 was a great gateway drug for me
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 18
almost any amp , the m50 doesnt require amping so its just a marginal benefit , usually just mostly the bass hits harder. nothing wrong with the m50 and classical music, nealric is exactly right, theres often not alot of booming bass in classical music that is going to be drowning out the other notes. so the m50 does just fine here.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 18
I hope this is not too late.

Stay away from ATH-A700 if you want vocals. The voices will sound very thin and weak. I made the mistake when I bought my ATH-A700. This was 4 years ago and A700 was not available in USA. I bought it in Japan. I was able to demo it in electronics store there. It was playing Jazz, and A700 sounded great. But once I got it home and tried a variety of music, it's flaws showed.

For Pop or Rock, with singers who do not have great voices, it is great for the music. It is detailed and with decent bass. The bass might be a bit lose, but good enough for me.

However, if I listen to vocals, like Sarah Brightman, it is immediately obvious the vocals is not full and sounds thin. Using EQ to boost the mid-range helps a lot. But if your friend is into vocals, stay away from A700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back