ATH M50 suitable for Rage Against the Machine and similar music?
Aug 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shinndigg

New Head-Fier
So I mostly listen to more laid back music, like Ben Folds, Elliott Smith, The Shins, etc. For this type of music, I have the HD 598 and the Q701.

Sometimes though, I want something a little harder. So I go to Rage and other metal bands my brother is trying to get me in to. As versatile as the 598s are, they do leave a bit to be desired in this genre.

I do have a pair of ATH M50. Do you think they do the genre justice, or is there another set of cans I should look into that would be an improvement for not too much money? I've heard grados are great for rock, are they good for metal?

As far as amps and dacs go, I have an E17 for portable use and a VDAC II and E9 on my desk. I expect to upgrade the E9 in the future to better drive the Q701.

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 4
I have owned both M50s and Grado SR-80s and guitar based music in general really sounds great through Grados.   They are very "alive" sounding in that mid-range where the guitar sits.   I listen to a lot of heavier stuff like Opeth, Ghost, etc. 

I preferred my M50s more for electronic music, where the deeper, bassier sound fit better, or in situations where I needed more isolation, like on the train.

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I have owned both M50s and Grado SR-80s and guitar based music in general really sounds great through Grados.   They are very "alive" sounding in that mid-range where the guitar sits.   I listen to a lot of heavier stuff like Opeth, Ghost, etc. 

I preferred my M50s more for electronic music, where the deeper, bassier sound fit better, or in situations where I needed more isolation, like on the train.

Opeth is orgasmic on Denons, Blackwater Park is just breathtaking.

I think RATM is one of the things Grado's would be best at knowning their sound, I could be wrong. Knowing how forward and seperated Morello likes his sound, it should be a decent fit.

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
So I mostly listen to more laid back music, like Ben Folds, Elliott Smith, The Shins, etc. For this type of music, I have the HD 598 and the Q701.
Sometimes though, I want something a little harder. So I go to Rage and other metal bands my brother is trying to get me in to. As versatile as the 598s are, they do leave a bit to be desired in this genre.
I do have a pair of ATH M50. Do you think they do the genre justice, or is there another set of cans I should look into that would be an improvement for not too much money? I've heard grados are great for rock, are they good for metal?
As far as amps and dacs go, I have an E17 for portable use and a VDAC II and E9 on my desk. I expect to upgrade the E9 in the future to better drive the Q701.

Grado SR-60 should sound good for metal, though you might want to EQ down the treble a tad. They are very fast compared to any of the Sennheisers so it would be a good pair to match with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back