ATH-M50 Recable
Nov 16, 2011 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Pingupenguins

Member of the Trade: BTG Audio / Q Audio
I need help figuring out how to do a one sided cable entry on a M50 recable. I was thinking about soldring the new wires to the old then pulling them through as i extracted the old wire. Any other suggestions? Should I disassemble the entire phone and do it that way? Thanks

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 7
Unless you do a really amazing soldering job i feel like pulling the wires through would scratch up the insides or something. I'd say disassemble the whole thing and run the wire up through the headband. Another note, you should actually put a 3.5mm easy-release (or magnetic release) input jack on the cup because that will add to the phones' durability.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Depends on how "high quality" of a jack you want. There are a couple forum posts in fullsize headphones talking about their conductors. Personally i'd just head over to radioshack, or check with digikey or mouser. I feel like heat shrink will look shoddy...personally i'd try to find one of those rubber things they use to plug a hole and allow a cable to flex gently before entering. Like the terminator on every single cable on a consumer product (where the wire gets to the bendy part, right before the plug). You can get those and simply slide them over the wire. They have a square bit that you use to hold it inside the headphone itself, usually with silicon glue or something.

Nov 17, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
personally i'd try to find one of those rubber things they use to plug a hole and allow a cable to flex gently before entering. Like the terminator on every single cable on a consumer product (where the wire gets to the bendy part, right before the plug). You can get those and simply slide them over the wire. They have a square bit that you use to hold it inside the headphone itself, usually with silicon glue or something.

Cable Boots/Strain relief.

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Wow, this project sounds boss. I wonder if its possible to make a cable that would work like control talk but better quality and that works with the nexus s volume control with mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back