ATH M50 left side
Apr 30, 2010 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

skrat

New Head-Fier
This is a question for everyone who has ATH-M50s.

I just got mine today that i got of ebay from proaudiomart. When i put them on to try them out i thought the right side sounded noticeably louder than the left and i even found a song where i can hear a cymbal sound on the ride side but not on the left. The song is from a CD too. I got these new and was wondering if it was normal? i thought maybe the offset of volume of right vs left might be normal but the cymbal sound concerns me.

EDIT: found other songs where the right sound produces a sound that the left does not

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 6
Well for me I hear them in every headphone/iem. I kind of like it. My m50s does that too, not sure if it's normal though

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 6
It's called stereo. Sounds are mixed so that part of the sound comes from the right side and part from the left. This gives the sound directionality, so you can place it somewhere on the nonexistent headstage. Sounds recorded from or mixed to the far left or right may just come out of that one side.

You should hear this with almost all music made in the last 40 years, on literally all headphones. Most songs have a decent balance of right/left volume, but it depends on the instruments and where they are.

Try one of the live Allman Brothers albums. They have the worst stereo separation I've ever heard, perhaps short of the old Beatles albums stereo remasters. 70% of the song comes from one ear.

Actually, uh, why did you guys think headphones had two drivers to begin with?

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Thats something normal in every headphone you use. And it depends on the record quality you listening to. Some of them have different sounds on each driver (left, right)
Most of my music albums are recorded in that way.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called stereo. Sounds are mixed so that part of the sound comes from the right side and part from the left. This gives the sound directionality, so you can place it somewhere on the nonexistent headstage. Sounds recorded from or mixed to the far left or right may just come out of that one side.

You should hear this with almost all music made in the last 40 years, on literally all headphones. Most songs have a decent balance of right/left volume, but it depends on the instruments and where they are.

Try one of the live Allman Brothers albums. They have the worst stereo separation I've ever heard, perhaps short of the old Beatles albums stereo remasters. 70% of the song comes from one ear.

Actually, uh, why did you guys think headphones had two drivers to begin with?

This. From what you're explaining, it is normal.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 6
try this:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502286/testing-headphones-questions-reflections#post_6782164

unfortunately - I am now also the user of audio-technica ATH-M50 :-D

and no - this is not normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back