ATH-M50 for personal use at home? Computer/Gaming/Media
Jul 30, 2012 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ziion

New Head-Fier
HI all. I was looking to buy a pair of headphones for home use. At the moment I have the Beats By Dre Studio headphones which I use when I'm not at home but I don't use them at home due to them being powered exclusively off of batteries (though, their battery life is very good). So I was really hoping to buy another pair of headphones that I can use in my MP3 player, plug into my PC for gaming and my tablet for when I wanna watch movies. Would you guys say the MTH-M50s by Audio Technica be the best choice for the $100-150 range? I'm looking for something that would be great all around.

Also, I've seen a couple of MTH-50s on Ebay going between $120-150 and some even have an option where you can offer your own price and possibly get them cheaper- what do you guys think would be a fair price to offer for them brand new? I'm not against purchasing them used either but I haven't came across a used pair yet.

Thank you for reading this :) have a great day

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 6
The M50 is definitely one of the best choices at its price point, even though there is currently a bit of a backlash over here against them (caused by their popularity). You can't go wrong with them, especially compared to the mediocre Beats.

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi!  I haven't personally gotten a chance to listen to the MTH-M50, but it is probably the most recommended headphone for the price range you're looking at.  As far as a place to purchase the M50, if Amazon is someplace that doesn't overcharge you for shipping (I hear this is a real problem for Canadians)  I've seen their prices on the M50 vary between 141 and 118 over the past couple of days, and is currently just under 131 as I type this.  So, with a little patience, if this is the headphone you do end up choosing, you might be able to get a good deal.

Some info that might help others in pointing out other possibilities for headphones is what types of music do you enjoy.

Oh yeah, one other thing to know about the M50.  There is the M50 and the M50S, the diffence being that the M50S has a straight cord, where the M50 is coiled.

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 6
That's another thing i'm afraid of. Right now on Amazon I can purchase them brand new for $113 which is probably the lowest on the internet brand new right now. It's just that every review I see on Amazon.. it's people comparing them to the Beats which leaves a distasteful taste because it seems like there's so much bias for the M50s that I don't know if people are really over-hyping them just to slander Beats (which I do enjoy. I paid $150 for them and love them). But that's besides the point, if the popular opinion is that for $100-150 (in my case right now $113) the ATH-M50s are the best in that price range for general use (I don't do any studio work, just a fan of music) then I will lean towards them. I also hear the Sennheiser 280s being thrown around some too.

Quote:
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi!  I haven't personally gotten a chance to listen to the MTH-M50, but it is probably the most recommended headphone for the price range you're looking at.  As far as a place to purchase the M50, if Amazon is someplace that doesn't overcharge you for shipping (I hear this is a real problem for Canadians)  I've seen their prices on the M50 vary between 141 and 118 over the past couple of days, and is currently just under 131 as I type this.  So, with a little patience, if this is the headphone you do end up choosing, you might be able to get a good deal.

Some info that might help others in pointing out other possibilities for headphones is what types of music do you enjoy.

Oh yeah, one other thing to know about the M50.  There is the M50 and the M50S, the diffence being that the M50S has a straight cord, where the M50 is coiled.

Thank you for the welcome! I listen to alot of hip-hop and trance/electronic music. I enjoy some Folk music too which I imagine is where the ATH-M50s really shine. I also play games and watch movies so if the M50s provide clarity then it will fit all my needs. The M50 on AMazon is the straight-cable version, from what I understand this isn't preferred because it's a REALLY long cable (I could be wrong, just something I recall reading awhile back).

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 6
The M50s are solid and should satisfy your needs. They are popular here and everywhere else for a reason. Popular things will always have haters, but you know it's good if it's popular on Head-fi.

If I wasn't so against pleather (even the most comfortable pleather bothers me), I'd still have an M50. I'd love to have the white ones...

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 6
I've got a pair, and I find them to be fantastic. For the price, they do everything extremely well. Like everyone else has already said, they've got some backlash because of their popularity, but I wouldn't be discouraged by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back