ATH M50 +E7 or DT 770 pro WITHOUT amp?
Jan 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Batsy

New Head-Fier
I have a budget of around 160. I can get a refurbished m50 and refurbished e7 for around that total, or i can get a brand new 770pro and wait till a couple months for an amp.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 11
Where are you planning on listening to these? I have the dt770s (80 Ohm) and I love them. I listen to them exclusively through my computer sound card (Xonar DG with a built in headphone amp). If you're going for a similar situation, I'd also vote for the DT's. The Xonar card I have can be had for cheap (<30 iirc) and you can get a good benefit from your headphones while you save for a portable amp.

I've also heard that they can benefit from amps all the way down to a Fiio E6, which can be had for around 20 (someone please confirm or correct me here). Might be worth it.

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 11
I have the M50 and DT770 250.  I had the 80 ohm but had it exchanged for the 250 one.  Convenience for portability I'd go with M50.  No need for amp, and foldable flat, collapsible, straight wire (for me, more manageable than coiled), and has a pouch.  But comfort, better sound (for me) as I have an amp, I like the DT770 more.
If you plan on indulging further on this headphone mania, get an amp.  And since there's a possibility of getting an amp, go for the DT770.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 11
if you planning on getting the M50, I would skip the whole E7 amp (I have both). I don't think they improve much to have to deal with plugging in an amp, lugging it around, plus with the M50 long wire. 

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 11
I can roll them and sue anything to tie them up.  The coiled one from my DT770 I still can't figure out any other ways than stuffing them all in my pocket.  Quite inconvenient for me since they can tangle, and I just don't like unorganized stuff in my pocket.  The long but straight cable from M50, the rolled part can go to my breast pocket while my player can be kept in my pants front pocket or belt pouch.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 11
I've listened to both quite a few times. The ATH M50 doesn't really need an amp. Beyers however absolutely need an amp if you are not keen on buying an amp than go with the M50. If you plan on buying Beyers make sure you have an amp as they gain a lot from good amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back