Ath-m50 confusion
Feb 4, 2012 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PerceivedUser

New Head-Fier
i looked on the iternet and on the head-fi forums, but I could not find answers to these questions. So here goes.
I just recently joined head-fi and only recently became a digital audiophile after I realized there was detail I was missing from my apple stock headphones. I did a lot of research, but there were some questions I could not find the answers to. So I decided to post them on head-fi. Here they are:
1. Burn-in. How long should I burn in my ath-m50? Should I do it continuously or in intervals? Right now I am following JLab's flash widget speciications (http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php), which say I should not burn my headphones in continuously because the diaphragm may be too weak at this time and should not be pushed to the limit. Is this true? What do you think of JLab's burn in widget? I am currently following JLab's instructions to burn in 4-5 hours a day for 5 days. Is this good, or should I burn it in for longer hours continuously? Also, what volume should I use for burn in? Should I be able to hear my ath-m50 when they are earcups up on my desk and I am in front of my desk, a foot and a half away from the headphones? And is burn in worthless with no effect?
2. I know there are two versions of the ath-m50: the blue box and the white box. Which one is newer and which one has better soud quality?
3. What are the best usb dacs/amps for the ath-m50? What do you think of the audioengine d1 paired with the ath-m50?
My portable sound setup is as follows: iphone4s or ipad/line out/3.5mm-toslink adapter/toslink glass cable/audioengine d1/ath m50.
My 2nd setup: laptop usb/audioengine d1/ ath m50.
Thanks for your help and please excuse any perceived bad manners.

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 13
Read Tyll's post on innerfidelity re burn-in. It makes little, if any, difference contrary to the often recited head-fi nonsense.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 13
1) doesn't matter how, just put atleast 50 hours into burn-in, 100 recommended
2) white box are newer ones. They sound the same except it is a bit more neutral than the blue box with a little less bass from what i understand.
3) it does just fine without an amp. I personally don't think you get much difference except for higher volume with an amp.

Don't buy the blue box because chances are that the blue box is a fake chinese copy of the original ATH-M50. The reason i say this is because nearly all Audio technica authorized dealers sell the white box version now.
If you plan on buying it from ebay, ask on the forums about the seller before buying.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 13
You can cross out the first two questions, burn-in and two different versions of m50 are bullcrap. I bought these 2 weeks ago and maybe in the first 10min quality changed to the better, but after that i can't hear no difference.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Prove it. Its just illogical that Audio-Technica wouldn't note the differences. I bet this two version bullcrap is the same as burn-in... non-existent.

2.There are two versions, wheather you like it or not... well, just call 'em several. This isn't anything specific or new, most headphones in their lifecycle recieve smaller changes due to a change of part supplier or just a different way to basically produce the same or almost the same part. An example of this is also the HD650 and the K701. Several batches with slight changes... don't get me started on the K240 :D

There is the blue and white boxed version.
The latter is the newer version and is said to be more ballanced in terms of FR. The blue one has more bass quantity and there are more fakes circulating in blue boxes.
Btw, I recommend buying from a verified deal... other headphones are swell to buy elsewhere but several Audiotechnica products like the esw9 and m50s are just prone to be fakes if cheap.

1.According to Tyll, which I respect quite a bit, the difference in room temperature might changes the FR more than burn-in :D
just use 'em! The thing which changes the SQ the most in terms of burn in are the pads. Don't believe me, just apply a bit side pressure on your headphones while wearing to simulate flatter pads. -> notice a sound change?

3.they are OK out of almost any source but if you amp them with... just something easy to build like a Cmoy you'll hear bit of difference. Snappier, more refinement.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 13
I haven't noticed a difference in sound quality in my m50s and I've used them extensively for about 6 months. I think the white box is newer than the blue box but I don't think they sound any different from each other. And I pair my m50's to the fiio e7/9 and there's slight but still noticeable difference. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 13
I have heard two blue box, and one white box. They sound very much the same, with the white box having just ever so slightly less bass (talking very minor difference), making it more balanced, but still having satisfying bass.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #12 of 13
In a few days, I will also be listening to the 50th anniversary silver M50s alongside a white box version...

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 13
I own the M50s aswell as the Audioengine D1. This is my first amp/dac so I'm not what you'd call an expert seeing as I don't have anything else to compare it to other than my onboard sound. The D1 give the M50s a fair amount of bass it definitely has more punch. The overall sound is a lot crisper and detailed with very little noise. The sound is also slightly forward compared to my onboard card.

My M50s have over 300 hours of burn in and my D1 has about 3 days worth of burn in. At first the D1 sounds a bit dull and muffled but after around 20 hours it definitely got better.
I'm enjoying the combination quite a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back